ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1965, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: My traffic reporter gave me "Old Gods..." Return to archive
January 18th, 2005 04:34 PM
Riffhard I swore to myself that I would not buy this book when it came out a few years ago,but my very friendly traffic reporter gave it to me for a belated birthday/X-mas present. So the question is this. Is it really that bad? What makes it bad? Is it just factualy inaccurate,or is it just a slamming of the band?

The only Stones book that I ever really liked was "The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones" by Stanly Booth. That book was brilliant from cover to cover. It's the only Stone's book that I have ever read that was not trying to push an agenda. Tony's (Up and Down...) book while enjoyable was crap for facts and he took major league liberty with fact vs fiction just be outrageous. Booth's book was spot on and truthful. I have heard mixed reviews about "Old God's...". So what's the deal with it for those of you who have read it?

Riffhard
January 18th, 2005 04:47 PM
Joey

" OLD GODS " is a Masterpiece and has sold over thirty million copies ( HardBack ) worldwide to date .

Word !

Spritzee ! ™
January 18th, 2005 05:14 PM
voodoopug its not that bad of a read
January 18th, 2005 05:53 PM
Poplar
I think it's great!

Your traffic reporter? you in the news biz, man?
January 18th, 2005 05:55 PM
doo doo doo Dude It's OK Riffhard. Lots of innacuracies and retreaded myths. Definitly not as good as the others but worth a read since it does cover the 80's & 90's which is not covered in most Stones books. It does give some insights into the making of the illustrious Dirty Work album as well as Ronnie's crippling crack habit.
January 18th, 2005 06:27 PM
Jaxx hi riff! i received my copy of that book pretty much the same way. my sister gave it to me as a birthday present not realizing its a rag--entertaining as most rags can be. at least there's decent photos included.
January 18th, 2005 10:27 PM
Zack Aloha Riffy,

You need to take the gossip with a grain of salt, but there's a lot about making the albums and the music in general that many bios gloss over at best. For example, he notes how well VL started out at Ronnie's in Ireland, then lost the plot somewhere. He notes about Brew and Stew: "it was all better than the album" and was right.
January 18th, 2005 11:03 PM
Bitch How about the big red book According to the Rolling Stones, I'm reading that now. Lots of good old stuff, ancient history lesson of the beginning days, interestging read.
January 19th, 2005 10:39 AM
Jaxx that is some coffee table book, isn't it? it is my understanding that the rolling stones authorized that tome and that it is an accurate accounting.
January 19th, 2005 11:41 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Bitch wrote:
How about the big red book According to the Rolling Stones, I'm reading that now. Lots of good old stuff, ancient history lesson of the beginning days, interestging read.

Hi ya Bitch! Great too see you here! I have read According to the Rolling Stones. It's good and accurate,but as Jaxx says it's a Coffee Table type book that kind of glosses over the real nitty gritty down and dirty side of the band.

If you haven't read The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones by Stanley Booth you should get it. It is the best book about the band by a long shot. Granted the book only covers the first twenty years of the band's existence,but Booth was,and still is,a good friend of Keith's and the band's. Hell,he was sitting behind Keith's amp at Altamont. Plus it's obvious that Booth does not have an axe to grind. He's not rehashing half truths and mythys about the Stones. The interesting thing is that the truth is way more interesting than the BS that Tony Sanchez writes about in Up and Down With the Rolling Stones.

Thank's for the heads up on Old Gods everyone. I have started it and so far so good. I have yet to really delve into it but I do like his writing style. Although Stephen Davis has been known to puff up the facts for shock value. His book Hammer of the God's is a perfect example of exagerations and,uhh hmmm,factual inaccuracies.

Jaxx it's great to see you again!

Riffhard
January 19th, 2005 11:47 AM
Joey " Thank's for the heads up on Old Gods everyone. I have started it and so far so good. I have yet to really delve into it but I do like his writing style. "

......... like " delving " into a vat of honey !

Honey !
January 19th, 2005 04:43 PM
gotdablouse AFAIK it's the only book/printed words that discusses the making of B2B in some detail and the arguing that took place at the end of the sessions, so for that alone it's worthwhile !
January 19th, 2005 11:57 PM
Bitch OK you talked me into it, I'll read Adventures of the RS if I can find it. If you like reading about the early days, I would give an excellent review of Bob Dylan's new book Chronicles I. He tells of how it all began in NYC in the clubs and describes scenes and events from the beginning of the rock and roll scene, mentions the RS a few times in the book. Groovy.
January 20th, 2005 12:30 AM
Zack AFAIK ?
January 20th, 2005 07:29 AM
Gazza "As Far As I Know"
January 20th, 2005 08:47 AM
J.J.Flash Well, I hope nobody throw water in the fire.....as I'm mad about this book....always been crazy about that. Can't wait to start reading it.

Cheers!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood