ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1965, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger/Wood Return to archive
January 17th, 2005 08:55 AM
Pierre Sometimes, I wonder what a Stone can think about another member of the band ...

So, In your opinion, what Jag' think about Ronnie, as a musician ?

If Ronnie wasn't a mate of Keith, you think he would be still a Stone in 2005 ?
January 17th, 2005 10:43 AM
jb Mick has more or less admitted that MT was a much better player than Ronnie,,,I think Mick looks at Ronnie as a friend, and relies on him to lay down a decent lick once in a while, but is well aware of his limitations...I think he was ready to replace Ronnnie in 81 if I recall...but at this point, no one is going anywhere.....
January 17th, 2005 11:16 AM
voodoopug there was rumours of George Thorogood replacing Woodie in 81 if i remember correctly as he had secretly rehearsed the 81-82 show with the stones.
January 17th, 2005 06:34 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
Mick has more or less admitted that MT was a much better player than Ronnie,,,I think Mick looks at Ronnie as a friend

That's right, Ronnie is a friend and a good person. I'm sure that he is still with the Stones for that reason.
January 17th, 2005 10:14 PM
time is on my side The Mick Taylor ERA was the golden ERA of the STONES in all respects whether it be in the studio or live (no time period can match the 1969-1973 live performances when one simply evaluates the guitar playing between Richards-Taylor; it's unmatched- the power of the music is incredible and something to behold- they were at the top of their game). In some respects,the shows since have been more about the show (big screens, specially constructed stages, exploding fireworks) than simply music (you get the feeling some nights their just going through the motions). For instance, on the last tour, saw them in Pittsburgh where they were above average musically and then in Amsterdam where they were below average (loved the song selection though) but the SHOW itself was great both nights (you got your money's worth).

That said, all good things come to an end. The Mick Taylor era is over and is not coming back. Ron Wood has been with STONES for 30 YEARS now (Mick Taylor lasted less than six). Ron Wood is a GREAT guitar player (loved him with the FACES more than with the STONES) who has been inconsistent at times over the years. By and large, I love his playing with the STONES. He has been a STONE for 30 years now!!!!

[Edited by time is on my side]
January 18th, 2005 11:11 AM
Jaxx woody has the potential to be a great guitar player, but i think he's lazy. once in a while his genius emerges.IMO, they should have gone for nils lofgren back when they replaced taylor. my understanding is that they didn't want a "yank" in their brit band. that said, is darryl jones british?
[Edited by Jaxx]
January 18th, 2005 11:16 AM
monkeyman62 yeah but nils didnt even get a try out
January 18th, 2005 04:26 PM
sammy davis jr. Daryl Jones isn't British.....Nils would have been laughable IMO, they shoulda got Rory Gallagher....I think Ronnie is basically a pain in MIck's ass- in a little brother kind of way.
January 18th, 2005 04:28 PM
jb
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Daryl Jones isn't British.....Nils would have been laughable IMO, they shoulda got Rory Gallagher....I think Ronnie is basically a pain in MIck's ass- in a little brother kind of way.

Stevie Ray Vaugn should have been approached...
January 18th, 2005 04:54 PM
Joey

<----------Mick has more or less admitted that MT was a much better player than Ronnie,,,I think Mick looks at Ronnie as a friend, and relies on him to lay down a decent lick once in a while, but is well aware of his limitations...I think he was ready to replace Ronnnie in 81 if I recall...but at this point, no one is going anywhere.....
January 18th, 2005 07:30 PM
Mr. Rock & Roll I Think when MT quit in the mid seventies they should've approach Roy Buchanan for a 2nd time (the first one was when Brian died). I've heard live recordings of Roy from that period and he was Amazing...i imagine the slow bluesy part of Mdnight Rambler with Roy making those screams with his Tele..it would have been awesome!!

January 18th, 2005 07:56 PM
mac_daddy ronnie was/is the perfect fit. and his lead playing can be awesome - listen to those recordings from the 1975 TOTA...

but he also seems to be the bitch of the group...

another strong, lead guitar, ego would have killed the band...

what is the name of the cat that plays on the sessions that were used for black and blue..? the guy who almost had the job. what did he ever end up doing..?
January 18th, 2005 08:43 PM
Soldatti
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
another strong, lead guitar, ego would have killed the band...

Agree 100%
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood