ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1965, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Post-1972 Fleetwood Mac Sucks" Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 13th, 2005 08:26 AM
Barney Fife The most valuable member of the band, Peter Green, left. I don't know how any serious music listener could like post-1972 Fleetwood Mac - what a lame band! "This song's about a worthless Welsh witch named Stevie Nix." "Riaaaaaannnnnnon!" Gag me with a dildo! What a grating voice - yeeckkk! Drop kick your Fleetwood Mac records into a street far away from where you live!
January 13th, 2005 08:37 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Barney I agree 110% with you I have almost been banned from the board by some regulars because I have posted several times because I consider Fleetwood Mac the worst change in not just rock history but music history when Stevie and Lyndsey destroyed their original blues roots

Other shamless switchovers:

• Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starhip (not too bad but they lost the touch)
  • Jefferson Starship to Starship (what happened?? this sucks)
  • Chicago V to the rest (shame on them, they started as a good band)
  • Humble Pie after "Street Rats"
  • Genesis - Post "Genesis"
  • Uriah Heep after "Return to Fantasy"
  • Ten Years After post "A Space in Time"

etc etc etc

Also the worst comeback was the Small Faces "78 in the Shade" What happened Steve? Same for Savoy Brown "Savage Return" shame on Kim, however he returned to the great blues roots and they still rock

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
January 13th, 2005 08:40 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Back on topic I want to add that I have a bunch of the real and original Fleetwood Mac including a lot of recent CDs and boxes. But I don't have anything post Peter

When some uneducated (rock-oriented) friends see that I have Fleetwood Mac discs and CDs they think about the pop group and can¿t believe it, but when I play some of the music they ask for copies
January 13th, 2005 10:12 AM
lotsajizz Peter Green was a guitar God....almost as good as Taylor, and Jeremy Spencer, don't forget him...they had another good player there for a while too--Danny Kirwan (sp?)

that 1969 Boston Tea Party 3 CD set is a good intro to this, the best, phase of Fleetwood Mac
January 13th, 2005 10:14 AM
jb PETER gREEN, A JEW, WAS GREAT....FLEETWOOD MAC HAS SUCKED EVER SINCE HIS DEPARTURE BUT WERE NEVER AS BAD AS LENNON AND THE BEATLES WHO SUCKED DONKEY DICK....
January 13th, 2005 11:43 AM
GimmeExile TUSK! Check it out and then come back with your revised opinion...
January 13th, 2005 11:47 AM
jb
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
TUSK! Check it out and then come back with your revised opinion...

Stupid use of the USC marching band....but FM is better than U2 and the Beatles who suck ....
January 13th, 2005 11:57 AM
Gazza Saw them in December 2003 and...I dont care how 'uncool' it is to say it - they were brilliant. Their last album was very good too. Probably their best in about 25 years.

A fabulous 2 and a half hour (plus) show - and if Keith or Woody could play half as good as Lindsey Buckingham is, we'd be drooling.

I dont go for this musical snobbery. As far as I'm concerned its effectively two different bands. Both are good in their own way
[Edited by Gazza]
January 13th, 2005 11:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Peter Green was a guitar God....almost as good as Taylor, and Jeremy Spencer, don't forget him...they had another good player there for a while too--Danny Kirwan (sp?)

that 1969 Boston Tea Party 3 CD set is a good intro to this, the best, phase of Fleetwood Mac

Didnt Kirwan join a loony religious cult too? I know Spencer did. Green just turned into a loony - no cult needed!
January 13th, 2005 12:07 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Green just turned into a loony - no cult needed!

LOL well it was for about two decades only, he's is back to real life but not the same, never's the same
January 13th, 2005 12:28 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Saw them in December 2003 and...I dont care how 'uncool' it is to say it - they were brilliant. Their last album was very good too. Probably their best in about 25 years.

A fabulous 2 and a half hour (plus) show - and if Keith or Woody could play half as good as Lindsey Buckingham is, we'd be drooling.

I dont go for this musical snobbery. As far as I'm concerned its effectively two different bands. Both are good in their own way
[Edited by Gazza]

They are not as good without Christine McVeigh.....
January 13th, 2005 12:31 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Saw them in December 2003 and...I dont care how 'uncool' it is to say it - they were brilliant. Their last album was very good too. Probably their best in about 25 years.

[Edited by Gazza]

Gazza, I have tremendous respect for your taste in music and even more for your honesty. Keep up the good work!

I saw Fleetwood Mac recently and Lindsey Buckingham is phenomenal! He is a unique writer, singer and guitar player.

Life is pleasant when you're not boxed in by snobbery.

January 13th, 2005 12:37 PM
Sue
quote:
jb wrote:
They are not as good without Christine McVeigh.....

McVie jb McVie
January 13th, 2005 10:16 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

Are Stevie Nix and Pope John Paul still dead?

January 13th, 2005 10:27 PM
BILL PERKS SAY YOU WILL IS FANTASTIC AS IS LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM..YOU NAYSAYERS ARE NUTS..FUCK PETER GREEN
January 13th, 2005 11:20 PM
Bloozehound I agree w/ Gazza 110%

I enjoy both incarnations of the band.

the Nicks era wasn't a bad 70's band whose music has aged pretty well.

I'd see 'em live in a heartbeat
January 13th, 2005 11:42 PM
Zack Gazza, I don't think Kirwan went religious, but he was institutionialized for mental illness. That's amazing: of three guitarists, they ALL went over the edge emotionally. I think Spencer is with the Children of God to this day. Green of course revived his career after decades in the wilderness. Before he quit, he wanted Mac to become a charity band, which the others naturally vetoed.

I just picked up "Live in Boston" from 70 and it smokes. I agree it's two different bands . . . I have Say You Will but don't like it a whole lot. I agree Buckingham is his best ever on guitar, but the tunes don't really move me. I'd see them live in a heartbeat though.
January 14th, 2005 01:59 AM
seclusion Lindsey Buckingham is GREAT! and so was 'The Last Dance?' anything after that without Christine McVie sucks. Stevie Nicks always did grate me nerves. Her voice sounds better as she's aged.
January 14th, 2005 07:46 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zack wrote:
Gazza, I don't think Kirwan went religious, but he was institutionialized for mental illness. That's amazing: of three guitarists, they ALL went over the edge emotionally. I think Spencer is with the Children of God to this day. Green of course revived his career after decades in the wilderness. Before he quit, he wanted Mac to become a charity band, which the others naturally vetoed.

Thanks for clarifying. I knew all 3 of them had, as you tactfully put it, "went over the edge" within a short period of time...its hard to keep track!
January 14th, 2005 01:48 PM
Gibbons
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Peter Green was a guitar God....almost as good as Taylor, and Jeremy Spencer, don't forget him...they had another good player there for a while too--Danny Kirwan (sp?)

The first part is funny.
http://www.jeremyspencer.com/
January 14th, 2005 10:06 PM
full moon Fleetwood Mac is great. Bill Perks is in the fucking house. Get some taste. Buckingham is a guitar virtuoso...
January 14th, 2005 11:53 PM
Brainbell Jangler Fleetwood Mac didn't come in just two versions: Peter Green and Lindsay Buckingham. There are at least two others, and arguably three or four. There's the original lineup minus Peter Green ["Kiln House"], then without Jeremy Spencer but with Bob Welch and Christine McVie ["Future Game," "Bare Trees"], then without Danny Kirwan but with Welch, Christine M. and Bob Weston ["Penguin," "Mystery to Me"], and finally that lineup without Weston ["Heroes are Hard to Find"]. Even if you lump all three Welch phases together, that's four distinct bands with no other unifying aspect than the original rhythm section [Mick Fleetwood on drums and John McVie on bass].
January 15th, 2005 06:36 PM
Bloozehound This thread surprises me..

Where the fuck are all the Fleetwood Mac ney-sayer conspirorists claiming that Fleetwood Mac stood for nothing but cheesy 70's psuedo-hippy/gypsy dream fantasies, candle light love affairs, sterile pop excesses, heaping piles of cocaine and all that shit ?
January 15th, 2005 06:49 PM
iluvmickjagger07 i recently started listening to fleetwood mac and i LOVE them especially the song peacekeeper
January 15th, 2005 07:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
TUSK! Check it out and then come back with your revised opinion...

I did it, I used my Real Rhapsody to listen and I couldn't finish the second track... too much for me
January 15th, 2005 07:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
This thread surprises me..

Where the fuck are all the Fleetwood Mac ney-sayer conspirorists claiming that Fleetwood Mac stood for nothing but cheesy 70's psuedo-hippy/gypsy dream fantasies, candle light love affairs, sterile pop excesses, heaping piles of cocaine and all that shit ?

I think they're all lying in wait anticipating you starting another thread praising the Eagles so that they direct their venom in that direction, Bloozy!
January 15th, 2005 09:18 PM
Bloozehound hahah!

I was actually shocked at how civil that Eagles thread actually went over. I anticipated a hell of alot worse.

hey gazza what's the deal with Ian Mclagen's accent?

I saw him live the other night and I never released what a thick accent he speaks with. I could hardly understand his in between song chatter and I was wondering what type of accent that was, if any, it seemed rather thick & garbled-like.

Not the normal "british" accent I'm accustomed to hearing from folks from around those parts. Is he from a particular region or something?

He put on a hell of a show though, he sang remarkably and uncannily like Mr "Rod the Mod" Stewart on the Face's tunes, and his guitarist was modeled straight off the Keef/Woodman/Chuck Berry-ish boogie woogie rock n roll stylings, it was like seeing the next best thing to the Faces

not as good, but good
January 16th, 2005 01:23 PM
Gazza I'm not familiar with Mac's spoken voice as I've never met him or seen him in concert.

However, he's from Hounslow - just west of London (out near Heathrow) and he's lived in Texas for years, so maybe his accent is some mid-Atlantic twang (Van Morrison's ended up equally bizarre, having grown up in Belfast but living in San Francisco for much of the 70's).

There's countless regional accents around the UK all with wide differences, to the extent where some are almost indecipherable to people in other parts of the country. Even within a city, you can have significant differences. My own Belfast accent is quite different to someone from the other side of town, and its a relatively small city of about 300,000 people.
January 17th, 2005 01:48 AM
Bovine49
quote:
full moon wrote:
Fleetwood Mac is great. Bill Perks is in the fucking house. Get some taste. Buckingham is a guitar virtuoso...

Brincadeira!!

quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
Fleetwood Mac didn't come in just two versions: Peter Green and Lindsay Buckingham. There are at least two others, and arguably three or four. There's the original lineup minus Peter Green ["Kiln House"], then without Jeremy Spencer but with Bob Welch and Christine McVie ["Future Game," "Bare Trees"], then without Danny Kirwan but with Welch, Christine M. and Bob Weston ["Penguin," "Mystery to Me"], and finally that lineup without Weston ["Heroes are Hard to Find"]. Even if you lump all three Welch phases together, that's four distinct bands with no other unifying aspect than the original rhythm section [Mick Fleetwood on drums and John McVie on bass].

Anybody who likes Stevie Nick's voice has shitty taste in music - period!
January 17th, 2005 02:06 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
full moon wrote:
Fleetwood Mac is great. Bill Perks is in the fucking house. Get some taste. Buckingham is a guitar virtuoso...

Sounds like you need some serious education on what a guitar virtuoso is. Danny Gatton and Joe Pass were guitar virtuosos; Lindsey Buckingham is not.

Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood