ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1965, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More Info from Bill German/Beggars Banquet......From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 14th, 2005 10:00 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
That poster never returned to Doug's, did he?

? He may have been right, but Charlie's health could have altered plans...
January 14th, 2005 10:06 AM
glencar So much for his "inside sources".
January 14th, 2005 10:17 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
So much for his "inside sources".

Funny thing is I was agreeing 100% with him and people bought into it hook, line, and sinker...
January 14th, 2005 12:13 PM
kath
quote:
The tour is still scheduled to start Feb 8th, 2005, at the Trocedero Club in Philly......this, of course, is subject to change

this is sort of like the weatherman saying it's a 50% chance of rain...either way, he's right!
January 14th, 2005 12:29 PM
jb
quote:
kath wrote:

this is sort of like the weatherman saying it's a 50% chance of rain...either way, he's right!

You stop it~~~!!!!
January 14th, 2005 01:03 PM
kath well, idn't it????
January 14th, 2005 01:11 PM
jb I pour my flesh and guts out here everyday and have to be humiliated!!!!{{{wtf}}}
January 14th, 2005 03:40 PM
kath your "flesh and guts"??????

eeeyyyeeewwwwww

i don't think anybody here ever asked for that, or wanted it.....

"pouring" flesh sounds pretty tricky, though....
January 14th, 2005 06:46 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
? He may have been right, but Charlie's health could have altered plans...

It was complete and utter bullshit right from the offset and in the way he so blatantly 'fed' info like bait to the gullible saps who continued to indulge him.
January 15th, 2005 12:00 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

A little well-connected birdie is telling me that they could very well now be starting the tour a few weeks earlier than that!

Ask your Birdie Friend when they plan on releasing an album?
I bet it is in June. Just a hunch. Only thing is My hunches have been wrong alot lately in reference to The Stones.

Ian

January 15th, 2005 08:44 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
Gazza wrote:
For maximum promotional and commercial impact, its more beneficial to have both of them coincide, and these days its the tour that generates the impact, the press and the money more so than an album does. Whereas they used to tour to support an album, now its the other way round and has been that way since about 1989

Not to nitpick, but you can actually go back to the previous tour with Mick putting "Tattoo You" together in the winter of 1980/81 specifically to be able to go on the road the next summer. Too bad he didn't feel the same urge to do that in the winter of 2001 for the 2002 tour, although if memory serves he toyed with the idea in November 2001 in Paris when he was interviewed by "Le Monde". I guess that takes us back to 1978 again, and to "Some Girls", the last album the Stones took "seriously"...and it served them well !
January 15th, 2005 04:07 PM
Gazza >Ask your Birdie Friend when they plan on releasing an album?
I bet it is in June. Just a hunch. Only thing is My hunches have been wrong alot lately in reference to The Stones.
Ian

No. I wont. Sorry. Because once I post an unsubstantiated story, then I get bombarded with "ask them this", "ask them that", "what will the album be like", and all that bullshit about a record that hasnt even been recorded yet and which no sane person in their right mind knows when will be released.

they'll release an album when it's ready. End of story.

I wont post as fact what I dont know to be correct. All I indicated was that aside from some of the other sources I've heard about a tour around September, another source who I know has a good reputation on insider info told me it could now be as early as the summer, ie around July.

Therefore, I don't honestly know. Everything I've been told up to now suggested a tour start around the same time as 2002.

If this person gets more info, she'll let me know and I'll post what info I have. I'm not fishing for info based on speculation. I think it's reasonable to expect an album to be released shortly before the start of a tour.
January 15th, 2005 06:48 PM
kath whatever you do, don't post that you have a very reliable source that tells you how charlie is doing.....people will be asking you for charlie's fuckin' phone number......
January 15th, 2005 06:57 PM
Gazza I think you know me better than that, Kath!!!
January 15th, 2005 10:20 PM
kath well, remember how much shit i caught when i said i had a good source??? jeeezuz............

"what's his phone number? do you call charlie? on a scale of 0-10, what's his discomfort scale?? is he bigger than a breadbox?"

aaarrrggghhhhhhhhhh
[Edited by kath]
January 16th, 2005 06:15 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Ask your Birdie Friend when they plan on releasing an album?
Ian

No. I wont. Sorry. Because once I post an unsubstantiated story, then I get bombarded with "ask them this", "ask them that", "what will the album be like", and all that bullshit about a record that hasnt even been recorded yet and which no sane person in their right mind knows when will be released.

they'll release an album when it's ready. End of story.

I wont post as fact what I dont know to be correct. All I indicated was that aside from some of the other sources I've heard about a tour around September, another source who I know has a good reputation on insider info told me it could now be as early as the summer, ie around July.

Therefore, I don't honestly know. Everything I've been told up to now suggested a tour start around the same time as 2002.

If this person gets more info, she'll let me know and I'll post what info I have. I'm not fishing for info based on speculation. I think it's reasonable to expect an album to be released shortly before the start of a tour.

You'll have that Gazza. I am just hoping for the Hot-Summer time album/and a tour in the late summer. All that I know is they are recording and putting songs together, for an album...which is supposeably really collaborative for an upcoming release. This makes my balls quiver.
Ian
January 16th, 2005 06:22 AM
IanBillen
quote:
kath wrote:
well, remember how much shit i caught when i said i had a good source??? jeeezuz............

"what's his phone number? do you call charlie? on a scale of 0-10, what's his discomfort scale?? is he bigger than a breadbox?"

aaarrrggghhhhhhhhhh
[Edited by kath]

I trusted your word before and we all VERY, VERY, much appreciated your insight on Charlie. I can not Thank you enough for the insight and I admire your collectiveness and couth concerning this subject. Many bashed me for asking. I was not concerned about a new album when I heard Mr. Watts was under the weather. I, as many here we're primarily concerened about whether or not Charlie was going to be OK.
I Thankyou for carrying us through that. And I, and everyone here Kath, is totaly grateful for keeping us informed.

I think Gazza knew more than he let on. It was for good reason though.
Ian
January 16th, 2005 04:25 PM
kath gazza and doug are all knowing......
January 16th, 2005 06:34 PM
Gazza LOL

In all seriousness, anyone who claims they're "all knowing" is deluding people.

I'm just a fan like everyone else. Nothing more, nothing less. I do get a fair amount of info from people who have good sources (and with respect to them, some of it is often given with the disclaimer "dont use my name" or "dont put this on the board"), but whilst a lot of it turns out to be right on, some of it isn't - through no fault of the person involved. Plans do and will change, and what info someone gets may be accurate when its given to them, it might not be so accurate a week later.

In a nutshell, when something is going to happen album or tour wise, you'll get ample notice of it and, the internet being what it is, it'll be on here around the same time as it appears on any other board or site with any degree of credibility.

I wouldnt hold your breath or quiver your balls too much yet, however....
January 17th, 2005 04:47 PM
polytoxic Well from my "inside sources" you can take this:
Give or take a couple of weeks, there will be a press conference in New York sometime in Late April/Early May where they announce the album & tour - The tour will start in the fall (Sept.) with the album coming out to coiincide with the tour startup, maybe a single comes out in the summer. They will rehearse in Toronto in July & August. There will be a club show in Toronto that noone will know about until the last second, and if they did, they'll keep it to themselves because one leak and the club gig's over. They'll do theatres like last time, charge a fortune like last time. Also, like last time, the setlists at the beginning of the tour will have more changeups then they will settle into a routine.,and people will gripe. In fact, most everything will be like last time, including all of us wondering if it is the last time. Frankly, I can't wait!
January 17th, 2005 05:04 PM
Gazza LOL..nice one...now get back in your time machine and come back to 2005 from 1997 or 2002 or wherever it is you've gone to!
January 17th, 2005 06:40 PM
Soldatti
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
Well from my "inside sources" you can take this:
Give or take a couple of weeks, there will be a press conference in New York sometime in Late April/Early May where they announce the album & tour - The tour will start in the fall (Sept.) with the album coming out to coiincide with the tour startup, maybe a single comes out in the summer. They will rehearse in Toronto in July & August. There will be a club show in Toronto that noone will know about until the last second, and if they did, they'll keep it to themselves because one leak and the club gig's over. They'll do theatres like last time, charge a fortune like last time. Also, like last time, the setlists at the beginning of the tour will have more changeups then they will settle into a routine.,and people will gripe. In fact, most everything will be like last time, including all of us wondering if it is the last time. Frankly, I can't wait!

Licks Tour II?
January 18th, 2005 03:12 PM
polytoxic Okay, so I was being a little cheeky.
However there is a pattern here -1994, 1997, 2002 and now 2005 have similar modus operandi, based around the same blueprint for an efficient money-making tour. Fall starts are key for splitting the U.S. itinerary over two calendar years for tax purposes, and that logic dictates Canadian rehearsals for the same reason.
Also, from a marketing standpoint, fall is the time for major releases so that the product is hitting its peak in time for the Christmas consumer season. Let's face it, Stones Inc. has got this formula down. Of course I don't have a clue about the album/tour announcement or any potential club date but I'll bet I'm not too far off. But the boys are booked to be in Toronto July & August -that's for real. And for one last bit of sass: inside sources say Jumping Jack Flash will be the encore, and I'll be loving every second of it.
January 18th, 2005 04:19 PM
kath well, actually he's probably right....but i don't care, do you?? i wanna see the stones!!!!! i need a shot of salvation!!!
January 18th, 2005 04:34 PM
polytoxic Nothing wrong with tradition. Bring it on!
January 18th, 2005 09:00 PM
corgi37 Wonder what the ratio between rehearsed songs and performed songs is?

I wanna hear Come On. Just for the cheese factor.

In fact, i hope they completely re-arrange the show. Ditch the dirges (IORR, Gimme Shelter, SFM, HTW, YGMR even tumbling dice & YCAGWYW)and chuck in some rarely heard faves.

Without doubt, there is maybe 10 songs or so that i guess MUST be done, but why cant they do new arrangements for stuff like:

We love you
Dandelion
Love is strong
Winter
Sway (well, i guess Keith would NEVER do that song)
etc. God, there is so many.

Here's what i mean. Ditch IOOR for some thing like Come on. Same style sort of.

Dandelion for stuff like Ruby and Lets spend the night. If you think about it, Dandelion could be "toughened" up with a new arrangement and sound pretty good i reckon. Bit of fun!

Love is strong is place of YGMR

Winter as the new solo show piece for Ronnie. Good replacement for YCAGWYW - though the sing a long bit is gone.

Fingerprint file could replace Midnight rambler, or even the very dull, and disco, Sympathy.

"We love you" would be a great encore song. I've said it before, and i am still convinced its so. Again, re-arranged, this song could come over as pretty heavy. It would be nice to hear Keith play a heavily distorted guitar. We could even have the sample of the footsteps "leading to the cells", and the cell closing (imagine the old promo clip being shown on the vid screen!!). Leavell could do the piano intro. And my man Darryl could do the swooping bass at the start. And, imagine it all coming to a climax with Charlie going nuts on the skins!

Yeah, i know, we wont get any of it. It'll be tumbling dice going on for 8 minutes. Terrible solos during YCAGWYW, boring, boring, boring IOOR, HTW (with that fucking Leavell kicking the piano) and SFM. Trumpets everywhere.

Cant wait!
January 19th, 2005 12:26 AM
BILL PERKS IAN BILLEN NEEDS A BLOW JOB TO RELAX.ANY TAKERS?JOEY?
January 19th, 2005 04:44 AM
Poplar
No, thank you.
But I'm with him on this: summer is good time for hot music.

Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood