ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1965, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More Info from Bill German/Beggars Banquet......From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 9th, 2005 12:27 PM
IanBillen Here it is from the Beggars Banquet web-site.

(January, 2005) -- All indications point to a strong and healthy year for the Stones. If they follow their time-tested agenda (which they are on track to do), they'll begin rehearsing this summer for a tour that'd launch around Labor Day. By now, you know the drill: Start in America and then, in 2006, move Down Under and to the Far East and to Europe, yada yada yada.

The U.S. tour would coincide with the release of a brand new Stones disc, for which initial recording has already begun. Mick, Keith, and Charlie gathered at Mick's house in France for two weeks in November and it bore fruit. (Woody wasn't there, but he's since popped in for a listen.) The whole band will regroup soon to continue the sessions, and the final mixing could take place on one of the American coasts.

Obviously, nothing's etched in stone when it comes to the Stones, but things are looking good for a busy year or two. In the meantime, if you're jonesing for a Stones fix, there's plenty to keep your eyes and ears occupied.

This month, you'll finally get to hear Keith's collaboration with legendary blues guitarist, Hubert Sumlin. Back in the day, Hubert played behind Howlin' Wolf. But now it's Keith backing Hubert on the Muddy Waters classic, "Still A Fool." (Actually, Keith and Hubert share lead vocals.) Keith's also on Hubert's original composition, "Little Girl, This Is The End." Keith and Hubert recorded these tracks a few years ago, but they'll finally see the light of day January 25, on a disc titled, "About Them Shoes."

Keith's contribution to last year's Gram Parsons tribute concert, dubbed "Return To Sin City," has been making the rounds on Pay-Per-View TV. Check your local listings. Keith is shown performing "Love Hurts" (a duet with Norah Jones), "Hickory Wind," and "Wild Horses" (backed by an all-star line-up). Keith summed up the show by lamenting, "Another goodbye to another good friend." You can catch it on DVD at the end of March.

Also look for Keith, Ronnie, and Bill Wyman to appear on an upcoming CD and DVD tribute to Scotty Moore. In addition to being Elvis's guitarist, Scotty is probably Keith's favorite guitarist of all time.

A new DVD, titled "One Night Only," captures Ronnie onstage at London's Royal Albert Hall with his old mate, Rod Stewart. It's from Rod the Mod's October concert at the venerable venue, and shows Ronnie guesting on "Stay With Me," as well as a medley of "Maggie May/Gasoline Alley."

Mick, Keith, and Ronnie have conspired with The Killer for his new CD. Jerry Lee Lewis had intended to release his "Old Glory" CD last year, but it never happened. Instead, he swears on a stack of bibles he's gonna get it out this year, possibly in March, and possibly under the new title, "The Pilgrim." Either way, it'll contain his cover of the Mick Jagger composition, "Evening Gown," with help from the aforementioned Stones.

On the subject of piano men, check out "Between Rock And A Home Place," the new book by Chuck Leavell. In it, Chuck reflects on his varied and illustrious career, including his 23 years as the Stones' keyboardist. Signed copies are available through www.chuckleavell.com

So what have the Stones been up to lately?

Mick spent New Year's (as he always does) on the island of Mustique. Keith is getting ready to shoot his scenes for the "Pirates Of The Caribbean" sequel (portraying Johnny Depp's dad). Charlie's feeling fine. And Woody played a gig last month (December 8) at Shepherds Bush Empire, backed by the Charlatans. They ran through Faces classics like "Ooh La La," "Flying," "Cindy Incidentally," and "Stay With Me," as well as the Stones' "Dance, Part 1." (The show will most likely air on British telly later this year.)

Also in London last month (December 13), Mick hooked up with Ronnie at the latter's art exhibition at the Theatre Royal. They vowed to hook up a lot more in the coming year. Stay tuned. -end-
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Geez, I am not complaining but these guys take forever to get an album out anymore. Don't tell me we gotta wait till basically next fall to get it.... They just have too many other things going on outside of The Rolling Stones to consistantly work on it is why. That's not really a complaint. It is just the simple truth.
Ian
January 9th, 2005 12:38 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Geez, I am not complaining but these guys take forever to get an album out anymore. Don't tell me we gotta wait till basically next fall to get it.... They just have too many other things going on outside of The Rolling Stones to consistantly work on it is why. That's not really a complaint. It is just the simple truth.
Ian

you're whining again, look on the bright side

It's coming!©

but thanks for the heads up Ian, sounds like '05 is shaping up to be a good year

January 9th, 2005 12:49 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

you're whining again, look on the bright side

It's coming!©

but thanks for the heads up Ian, sounds like '05 is shaping up to be a good year

The world must be coming to an end. I agree completely with you Bloozy!! Word for Word!!!

LJ.
January 9th, 2005 01:00 PM
Gazza Its got nothing to do with them taking ages to get an album out. After all, they made SW and BTB relatively fast.
If they really wanted to, they could go into a studio tomorrow and crank out some 'product' by April.

We'll hardly die of frustration at an album coming out around August (as most people would reasonably expect to coincide with a tour that has long been planned as starting shortly after that) rather than some hopelessly optimistic alternative of the spring or early summer. The album release date is one day. Once its available, its forever.

There's not much point in them releasing a new album 3-6 months before they go on tour. For maximum promotional and commercial impact, its more beneficial to have both of them coincide, and these days its the tour that generates the impact, the press and the money more so than an album does. Whereas they used to tour to support an album, now its the other way round and has been that way since about 1989.

Its not quite the same with U2 for example, as their albums sell more than the Stones do and stay on the charts longer,but their tours dont generate as much money.

Finally, a question - for the benefit of those amongst the readers of Bill German's scribblings who live outside the US and who are only familiar with a few of the American public holidays, could someone tell me when "Labor Day" is?
[Edited by Gazza]
January 9th, 2005 01:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Finally, a question - for the benefit of those amongst the readers of Bill German's who live outside the US and who are only familiar with a few of the American public holidays, could someone tell me when "Labor Day" is?

The first week of September.
January 9th, 2005 01:07 PM
Gazza Cheers, TTM.
January 9th, 2005 01:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels It has nothing to do with pregnancy or workers rights. It's an "end of the summer" last fling vacation ritual. Fire up your Winnebago and SUV and hit the road. Hedonism at it's peak performance. Great time of year to sell ads though.
January 9th, 2005 01:24 PM
Bloozehound don't ferget, sparkin up the 'Que and chillin' the brewskies
January 9th, 2005 03:08 PM
glencar This Bill German seems to have an inside track. Labor Day this year is September 5. In 2002, they started the day after Labor Day up in Boston. While I prefer a fall tour myself, I'm surprised they don't start earlier & get all those stadiums lined up for max profit.
January 9th, 2005 03:32 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Its got nothing to do with them taking ages to get an album out. After all, they made SW and BTB relatively fast.
If they really wanted to, they could go into a studio tomorrow and crank out some 'product' by April.

We'll hardly die of frustration at an album coming out around August (as most people would reasonably expect to coincide with a tour that has long been planned as starting shortly after that) rather than some hopelessly optimistic alternative of the spring or early summer. The album release date is one day. Once its available, its forever.

There's not much point in them releasing a new album 3-6 months before they go on tour. For maximum promotional and commercial impact, its more beneficial to have both of them coincide, and these days its the tour that generates the impact, the press and the money more so than an album does. Whereas they used to tour to support an album, now its the other way round and has been that way since about 1989.

Its not quite the same with U2 for example, as their albums sell more than the Stones do and stay on the charts longer,but their tours dont generate as much money.

Finally, a question - for the benefit of those amongst the readers of Bill German's scribblings who live outside the US and who are only familiar with a few of the American public holidays, could someone tell me when "Labor Day" is?
[Edited by Gazza]

--------------------------------------------------------------
Well the reason I am kinda dissapointed is I wanted a hot new summer album like Some Girls or Voodoo Lounge is why. When I say it is taking them ages to get an album out I do not mean it takes them ages to actually produce it. I mean it takes them friggin ages to actually get there and keep at it (8 years). I realize a major tour like they will have again does keep the album alive and supports it but this time I want an album that really needs no tour to give it props or attention. This time, I want an album that can stand on it's own, entirely...whether they tour or not.

By the way did you see my reply on the Mancini thing?

Ian
January 9th, 2005 03:37 PM
glencar "This time, I want an album that can stand on it's own, entirely...whether they tour or not." - IanBillen

Dirty Work Redux?
[Edited by glencar]
January 9th, 2005 03:58 PM
Gazza >Well the reason I am kinda dissapointed is I wanted a hot new summer album like Some Girls or Voodoo Lounge is why. When I say it is taking them ages to get an album out I do not mean it takes them ages to actually produce it. I mean it takes them friggin ages to actually get there and keep at it (8 years). I realize a major tour like they will have again does keep the album alive and supports it but this time I want an album that really needs no tour to give it props or attention. This time, I want an album that can stand on it's own, entirely...whether they tour or not.

I doubt you'll get it. Different era now, I guess and (thanks to the way the Stones choose to market themselves, especially in the last 5-6 years) a different audience, older and more than ever geared towards nostalgia. Voodoo Lounge could well have been released some months before it actually was (July 1994), when you consider the Dublin sessions that produced it took place in summer-autumn 1993. I guess they chose to take their time finishing it as it fitted in nicely with a summer stadium tour.

>By the way did you see my reply on the Mancini thing?

I did. LOL. Nice story, too. I must admit I did wonder about your feigned ignorance of Ohio, as I could have sworn you'd said one time you were from there!
[Edited by Gazza]
January 9th, 2005 04:09 PM
kath "this bill german" has been on the inside track for a loong time. if bill says it. it's true.

i love that everybody is doing all this stuff and "charlie is feeling fine." damn right, charlie. don't get up unless you HAVE to!!!

anyway, it's all good. it's looking MUCH better for a tour and some fun times comin' up than it did this time LAST year!!!!

January 9th, 2005 04:30 PM
Gazza Bill of course ran the Beggars Banquet magazine from around 1978 which then became the official fan club from 1983 until he finished it in 1996.

I'd imagine he still has a good 'inside track' OK, although maybe not with as direct access as before, but I'm sure if he's any sense he kept in touch with a lot of those in authority close to the band.

Note for the Aussies and particularly Corgi who seems convinced they'll skip Oz this time around. Bill did actually mention "down under" for 2006.

January 9th, 2005 04:39 PM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:
Bill of course ran the Beggars Banquet magazine from around 1978 which then became the official fan club from 1983 until he finished it in 1996.

I'd imagine he still has a good 'inside track' OK, although maybe not with as direct access as before, but I'm sure if he's any sense he kept in touch with a lot of those in authority close to the band.

Note for the Aussies and particularly Corgi who seems convinced they'll skip Oz this time around. Bill did actually mention "down under" for 2006.

Yeah, Bill German has met The Stones on several occasions. He also knows Keith, well atleast he did kinda have rapport with Keith. He is pretty legit as you said. And as you said I don't think he has as direct contact as he used to. And as he said nothing is ever etched in "Stone" with them. Especially this early. I do hope that some of the people from this board get to see them who have not had a chance before. It would be cool for them to visit some different countries this time.
By the way, you're sources were correct in that Ronnie had not been recording in France and I notice you have a good memory as usual.

Ian
January 9th, 2005 06:37 PM
Hannalee
quote:
kath wrote:
"this bill german" has been on the inside track for a loong time. if bill says it. it's true.

i love that everybody is doing all this stuff and "charlie is feeling fine." damn right, charlie. don't get up unless you HAVE to!!!

anyway, it's all good. it's looking MUCH better for a tour and some fun times comin' up than it did this time LAST year!!!!

Yeah, but he says that Keith played at the Scotty Moore gig with Bill and Ronnie, and he most certainly did not.

[Edited by Hannalee]
January 9th, 2005 07:48 PM
kath eek!!!!! well, he's almost always right......
January 10th, 2005 09:02 AM
gimmekeef One more thing about Labor Day....its usually the start of the new NFL season!
January 11th, 2005 06:58 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Gazza wrote:
[...]

[Edited by Gazza]

I thought Labor Day was May 01 in the whole world....
January 11th, 2005 11:08 PM
corgi37 Our labor day is March 14. Thats mainly to coincide with our Moomba festival, and the F1 Grand Prix. BTW, as far a i know, Oz was the 1st country to have the 8 hours work, 8 hours recreation, 8 hours rest rule, though dont bet your house on me being right.

Gazza, i'm hoping, but i think an Oz tour wont happen. Too far. Too expensive. Too old. 1 or 2 huge outdoor Euro shows would probably make them more money that an Oz tour.

And, trust me on this. We've heard all the promises before. 75,76,81,82,89,90. At least they didnt even bother to bullshit us for the B2B/no security tour.

Though they could treat it as a mid-tour holiday like they did 2 years ago next month. Fingers crossed anyway.
January 12th, 2005 12:39 AM
glencar
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

I thought Labor Day was May 01 in the whole world....

That's May Day. We don't really celebrate that one in the States.
January 13th, 2005 03:57 PM
jb I think one thing we all can agree is that Bill German is a great man.
January 13th, 2005 04:13 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
jb wrote:
I think one thing we all can agree is that Bill German is a great man.

We all can agree too than just one message from Bill German has more value than 12k from you hehe No pun intended I just want to make emphais in the value of Bill's news

Can you imagine someone posting news like that at the same speed you post irrelevant bullcrap... No pun intended again my friend trust me

Josh at this speed you ain't gonna reach your target $$$ for this year remember baby PRIORITY SETTING and TIME MANAGEMENT are key management skills for success
January 14th, 2005 04:17 AM
IanBillen
quote:
glencar wrote:

That's May Day. We don't really celebrate that one in the States.

Right. Labor day is in September and doesn't have any ties to May Day. However, college kids use May Day as an excuse to throw big block parties around certain colleges in the US on May Day weekend.

Ian
January 14th, 2005 07:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
This Bill German seems to have an inside track. Labor Day this year is September 5. In 2002, they started the day after Labor Day up in Boston. While I prefer a fall tour myself, I'm surprised they don't start earlier & get all those stadiums lined up for max profit.

A little well-connected birdie is telling me that they could very well now be starting the tour a few weeks earlier than that!
January 14th, 2005 07:41 AM
LadyJane Did I just post in the Drinking Thread that I was a tad depressed this a.m.? Amazing...news of a Stones Tour is my Prozac!! All better now!!!

Thank you Doctor Gazza!!!!

LJ.
January 14th, 2005 09:36 AM
glencar I hope your birdie is warbling the truth, Gazza! It's not that I "need" a summer tour. It's just nice to see a change from the too-well-established pattern of the past 2 decades.
January 14th, 2005 09:41 AM
BILL PERKS JOSH - WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR WELL PLACED SOURCE THAT HAD THE STONES STARTING A TOUR FEB. 2005 IN PHILLY?I THINK IT WAS POST 7526.
January 14th, 2005 09:48 AM
jb [quote]BILL PERKS wrote:
JOSH - WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR WELL PLACED SOURCE THAT HAD THE STONES STARTING A TOUR FEB. 2005 IN PHILLY?I THINK IT WAS POST 7526.
[/quote

The tour is still scheduled to start Feb 8th, 2005, at the Trocedero Club in Philly......this, of course, is subject to change .
January 14th, 2005 09:50 AM
glencar That poster never returned to Doug's, did he?
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood