ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1965, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jeff Beck and Mick Jagger Return to archive
January 9th, 2005 05:56 AM
F505 I bought Wandering Blues yesterday ( the sessions featuring Mick and the Red Devils). Brilliant album. Also two bonus tracks: Little Red Rooster (Mick and Jeff Beck live in LA, 1986: great version) and a rocking studio version of I'm A King Bee (I guess also with Jeff Beck). Beck has a very rough power. Are there more recordings of Mick and Jeff live or in studio? (and I don't mean the Primitive Cool album) I know the two were not the best friends but nevertheless...
What about Beck on tour with the Stones in 2005? Mmm
January 9th, 2005 08:24 AM
kmc there is a boot dvd called JAGGER AND BECK SESSIONS from a few year back which contains the following:

(only says "at VTR SESSION" - it's probably the one you mentioned that had "little red rooster" - it's live - no info on the dvd)

h.t. women
sympathy for the devil
dead flowers
shine a light
little red rooster

there are 9 more songs of beck in the studio and an outtake of beck and rod stewart doing "people get ready."
January 9th, 2005 08:59 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Jeff is also in the "She's the Boss" album

Even that any of the takes with Jeff didn't make it on the album, Jeff attended the Black and Blue sessions in Rotterdam in 1975 with early version of Slave, Tops and Worried About You included in the sessions as some outtakes as well.

Jeff Beck has also jammed live at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremonies: with Mick in 1988 and with Keith in 1992 and I'm sure about more jams

January 9th, 2005 10:00 AM
kmc sorry i meant to say CD NOT DVD in my earlier post.
January 9th, 2005 10:13 AM
luxury1 I think Jeff Beck played on one of Mick's solo tours--in Australia, I believe? I have about three or four tracks from a live show with him--on a compilation disc from Mickschick on Shidoobee. You may try to contact her on Doug's board.
January 9th, 2005 10:16 AM
luxury1 kmc--do you care to copy that disc of yours? THe Jagger and Beck Sessions? I would love to hear all of the tunes, and not just the couple I have.
Please PM me if you are able.
Many thanks in advance.
January 9th, 2005 10:24 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I think Jeff Beck played on one of Mick's solo tours--in Australia, I believe?

It was Joe Satriani the one who backed Mick on tour as far as I know Jeff didn't tour of make guest appearances

BTW, Jeff also jammed with the Stone in the Stu tribute show in 1986 but no tape extant, so I know it does not help much
January 9th, 2005 10:40 AM
Hannalee
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
kmc--do you care to copy that disc of yours? THe Jagger and Beck Sessions? I would love to hear all of the tunes, and not just the couple I have.
Please PM me if you are able.
Many thanks in advance.

Me too! me too!

I wasn't sure from the way it was phrased whether kmc actually had the disc or just knew of its existence, but it would be great to have.
January 9th, 2005 10:45 AM
F505 thanks all for the info so far. By the way: I just downloaded Shine A Light live (Beck and Jagger): Jagger starts a capella...very peculiar. After 2 minutes drums and piano join while on the background Jeff slowly plays rhythm guitar...
January 9th, 2005 02:38 PM
L&A Hi F505. I think it was Jeff Beck playing with on the B-side of Ruthless People (1986), called I'm Ringing. A rough and powerful rock, nothing to compare with Ruthless People.
January 9th, 2005 03:10 PM
glencar Was "I'm Ringing" from the first solo album sessions?
January 9th, 2005 09:35 PM
BILL PERKS THOSE BECK SESSIONS SONGS WERE REHEARSALS FOR THE 1987 JAPAN TOUR THAT BECK PULLED OUT OF BECAUSE HE WAS INSULTED BY MICKS OFFER.SATCH REPLACED HIM.
January 9th, 2005 09:41 PM
Maxlugar They did one show together in LA (I think it was)I've seen the boot of it for sale but never got around to getting it.

Beck bailed and was indeed replaced by Satriani (A poor man's Jeff Beck)

Jeff's recent work is mind blowing.

January 9th, 2005 09:59 PM
Gazza the only live performance Beck played with Mick was at the Troubadour in LA in October 1987. It wasnt a concert as such, but a live video shoot for Mick's "Throwaway" single. The played a short set of about 35-40 mins or so.

Beck was supposed to tour Japan with Mick in March in March 1988 but pulled out because Mick offered him what he considered a derisory amount. Joe Satriani and Jimmy Rip ended up being the guitarists for the tour of Japan and also when they toured Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia from September - November.

A fantastic musician but had he ever joined the Stones - either in '75 or any other time - they would have fallen apart as he has his head so far up his own arse. He's brilliant in many ways but he's no team player IMO
January 9th, 2005 11:13 PM
rolling who I remember hearing this on MTV Music News, courtesy of J.J. Jackson, back in the mid-80s:

Beck had just laid down a smoking solo on a track in the 'She's the Boss' sessions, and Jagger decided to play a prank on him. When Beck was done, Jaggs came in and told him the solo was lousy and that he could nad should do better. At that point, Beckola stormed out of the studio, popped into his Rolls and sped off. Jagger had to jump in his own car, track him down and tell him he was only kidding.

January 10th, 2005 08:56 AM
Taptrick I have an mp3 boot of a song called "She's a lady" or "I love the ladies"...soemthing like that. I believe it is from the Beck/Stones sessions in mid 70s. Hoping someone might clarify if this is Beck on guitar. I LOVE this song. It's a slow, spooky, funky song. Makes me feel like I'm out a 4am with a heavy, draging buzz, and good female company. I think this is resurectable.
January 10th, 2005 10:52 AM
Gazza According to Nico Zentgraf's site, "I Love Ladies" comes from the March-April '75 Munich session, in which it case it wouldnt be Beck, as he only played with them in Rotterdam from 6 - 9th February.

Wayne Perkins, Harvey Mandel and Woody were, in turns, the other guitarists during that session. Maybe one of the more technically minded experts could tell you who the second guitarist is on that track as I dont have an ear for that kind of thing.
January 11th, 2005 12:39 AM
Taptrick
Thanks Gazza. Would you please post the url for that site? Good references sounds like.

January 11th, 2005 04:59 AM
Helmut http://www.nzentgraf.de/
January 13th, 2005 02:42 AM
padre
quote:
F505 wrote:
I bought Wandering Blues yesterday ( the sessions featuring Mick and the Red Devils).

Another release from the Jagger/Devils sessions....How's the sound quality this time? Does any of you have info on how does this differ from earlier releases of the sessions?
I'm a huge Red Devils fan and everything related to them interests me.
January 13th, 2005 04:41 AM
F505
quote:
padre wrote:

Another release from the Jagger/Devils sessions....How's the sound quality this time? Does any of you have info on how does this differ from earlier releases of the sessions?
I'm a huge Red Devils fan and everything related to them interests me.

According to my local dealer this was the latest release. Sound quality is excellent.
This is the tracklist:

Radio DJ Intro Los Angeles
mean ol' world
you better watch yourself
checkin' up on my baby
still a fool
ain't your business
shake 'em all down
40 days 40 nights
dream girl
evil
one way out
blues with a feeling
talk to me baby
don't go no further
blues with a feeling (take 2)
dream girl (take 3)
evil (take 3)
blues with a feeling (take 4)
still a fool (take 3)
one way out (take 1)
40 days 40 nights (take 2)
evil (take 1)
bonus:
little red rooster (Mick Jagger en Jeff Beck, LA, 20-10-86)
I'm a king bee (take 1)
i'm a king bee (take 2)
outro

January 13th, 2005 07:44 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
kmc wrote:
there is a boot dvd called JAGGER AND BECK SESSIONS from a few year back which contains the following:

(only says "at VTR SESSION" - it's probably the one you mentioned that had "little red rooster" - it's live - no info on the dvd)

h.t. women
sympathy for the devil
dead flowers
shine a light
little red rooster

there are 9 more songs of beck in the studio and an outtake of beck and rod stewart doing "people get ready."

We've discussed this before here and the consensus was that these were fakes with neither Jeff on guitar or Mick on vocals. I just listened to them again and I must say they're pretty good, but they do appear to be live recordings of sorts and since they never played these tracks live together there's something off ! The backing vocals are terrible too ;-)

Saw Jeff in concert in San Fran in early 2001 and he was absolutely mind blowing, brilliant, brilliant guitar player/musician. Best I've ever seen really.
January 13th, 2005 10:15 PM
Maxlugar Damn straight!

Jeff Beck has tapped into a mind blowing creative spring that leaves the crowd awestuck.

He is the only member of the British Invasion that you can say that about today.

Yet, he remains under the radar.

MACKY!
January 14th, 2005 05:06 AM
padre The track order seems identical to Mickboy's Mean Ol' World. I wonder if the "DJ intro" is also the same intro that Mickboy uses: "You know the time of the great bands was really a fabulous period, but unfortunately..."
If so, this is another sad rip-off of Mickboy's Remasters. First the IORR remaster got ripped-off, now this. Which one next?
January 14th, 2005 10:44 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Damn straight!

Jeff Beck has tapped into a mind blowing creative spring that leaves the crowd awestuck. He is the only member of the British Invasion that you can say that about today.

Yet, he remains under the radar.

True but then it gives him the liberty to do pretty much whatever he wants and isn't stuck in that pathetic (artistically, not financialy) "profit maximization" loop the Stones have been in since 1989.
January 18th, 2005 08:18 PM
throbby Mick is most definitely doing the vocals on the tracks I've heard. Take a good close listen.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood