ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1965, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: UNCUT - Brian Jones special (+ free CD) Return to archive
January 7th, 2005 08:19 PM
Gazza

Just out now is the new issue of UNCUT (issue 93, February 2005) which has a big Stones/Brian Jones special (14 pages), including a behind the scenes feature on the new film about his death and interviews with various people about him, including Andrew Oldham, Pat Andrews etc.

Of further interest is a very nice 15-track CD, called "The Devil's Jukebox", which traces the Stones R&B roots, and includes songs by Elmore James, Jimmy Reed, Buddy Holly, Big Joe Williams, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Albert King, Howlin' Wolf, Bobby Womack ("Its All Over Now"), Muddy waters, Ike & Tina, Robert Johnson ("Love In Vain"), Gene Allison ("You Can Make It If You Try"), Big Bill Broonzy, John Lee Hooker and Art Neville & The Meters.

http://www.uncut.co.uk
January 7th, 2005 08:35 PM
mac_daddy i'll keep an eye out for it...
January 7th, 2005 08:40 PM
glencar They had one of those "Devil's Music" CD's for the Keith issue. Thanks for the heads up on this one!
January 7th, 2005 10:24 PM
Gazza I'm not sure if those CDs are usually available in the non-UK editions due to some copyright reason, are they?
January 7th, 2005 10:29 PM
glencar They usually ahve CD's but not every single month. DO the UK ones have CD's every single month?
January 8th, 2005 08:14 AM
Nellcote Oh yeah!
WICKED PISSA!
January 8th, 2005 09:06 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
They usually ahve CD's but not every single month. DO the UK ones have CD's every single month?

No, but its pretty regular. Some months they even have two (last month for example, they had 2 different Dylan front covers - the contents were the same, but the two CDs were different)
January 8th, 2005 10:26 AM
Lazy Bones Already?! I just picked up the Dylan issue 2 days ago...
January 8th, 2005 02:25 PM
Gazza well..now you know whats in the next one!!

yeah, the Dylan one has been out here since early December
January 9th, 2005 11:04 AM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Already?! I just picked up the Dylan issue 2 days ago...

I just picked up the last copy Hastings had last night. Didn't know about it until I read this thread yesterday morning, so I feel lucky indeed. Thanks guys! CD was attached.

The Brian Jones issue is not here yet.

January 9th, 2005 11:11 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
Didn't know about it until I read this thread yesterday morning, so I feel lucky indeed. Thanks guys! CD was attached.

I didn't know about it until last week. I saw the cover on the 'daily updates' page of bobsboots.com. When I went to the UNCUT webite, however, they were brandishing a different cover. I thought perhaps I missed out.

A visit to the local Chapters uncovered numerous copies still in stock.

I chose the 'tracks that influenced Dylan' cd / issue.

January 9th, 2005 11:32 AM
Stonesdoug here's the CD

The Devil’s Jukebox, 15 Tracks that influenced and inspired The Rolling Stones. Featuring Robert Johnson, Buddy Holly, Howlin’ Wolf, Bobby Womack, Muddy Waters, Ike & Tina Turner, Big Bill Broonzy and John Lee Hooker

you can catch some of it here
http://www.uncut.co.uk/covercd/200502/index.html

[Edited by Stonesdoug]
[Edited by Stonesdoug]
January 9th, 2005 03:14 PM
glencar What's on the Dylan CD's?
January 9th, 2005 08:32 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
glencar wrote:
What's on the Dylan CD's?

Tracklistings from both cds are here:

http://www.uncut.net/music/bob_dylan/special_features/27
January 13th, 2005 03:03 AM
padre That UNCUT seems to be THE magazine for a Stones fan. Makes me wonder if I should change my MOJO subscription to that...
January 13th, 2005 07:08 AM
Gazza they're both worth getting, to be honest.

They've taken over from "Q" - which has gone downhill badly in the last couple of years in a pathetic attempt to appeal to pop fans (which was completely at odds with what the magazine started out as) - as essential reading for fans of quality music past and present. A sign of how crappy Q has become is their seemingly endless obsession with lists and polls almost every month which take up large portions of their magazine. A classic sign of lazy journalism. ("Q" is also the only one of the main British magazines which have still to date never published a Stones special issue - whereas theyve done similar issues to not only their contemporaries such as Dylan,the Beatles and The Who, but with far lesser artists such as U2, REM and (God help us), Radiohead.) Q used to be essential reading. They lost me when they started having musical lightweights such as Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera on their front covers on an all too regular basis.

All of the other monthly magazines and even the uber-trendy NME have produced Stones specials in the last few years.

Its no accident that over the last few years so many of the best writers that Q used to have ended up at other magazines like Uncut or Mojo. If they were trapped in some 60's timewarp they'd be pretty pathetic but they strike a good balance between writing about current, quality music as well as acknowledging and analysing it in some kind of historical context too.
January 14th, 2005 05:35 AM
Zeeta Great post Gazza - Q magazinen is such shite now there's absolutely fuck all it read in it! It's like 187 pages of lists and 1 line interviews with plebs! their " reviews" are literature diarrhea and I fuckin detest their "rip this" suggestion at the end of each album review! I'll "rip" what I want Q magazine hacks! Maybe I'll "rip" the "journalists'" heads off!
Sorry but it gets on my wick!
Mojo magazine is better that Uncut only because they are very up on dates of photos and generally better at facts that Uncut. However Uncut recently has been good with their free CDs!

January 14th, 2005 10:43 AM
lindazerr Where can I find the new February 2005 issue of Uncut Magazine
here in the United States? I live in Missouri and would like to see
if is possible to find it in a bookstore in my area. I would really
like to see the issue with Brian in it, and any other issue that
has articles on him or the early Stones and him.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
January 15th, 2005 07:08 PM
bigstickusa hey, ya know, there was "The Devil's Jukebox" a few years ago... click here...
http://www.big-stick.org/devil.html
January 15th, 2005 07:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
lindazerr wrote:
Where can I find the new February 2005 issue of Uncut Magazine
here in the United States? I live in Missouri and would like to see
if is possible to find it in a bookstore in my area. I would really
like to see the issue with Brian in it, and any other issue that
has articles on him or the early Stones and him.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

If you cant get it locally, you can always contact the magazine via their website - www.uncut.co.uk - or phone them for back issues on +44 20 8532 3628 (the current issue is No. 93 - dated February 2005)

For those of you with AOL, look for AOL keyword UNCUT
January 17th, 2005 01:01 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'm not sure if those CDs are usually available in the non-UK editions due to some copyright reason, are they?

gazza we get the cds here as well - howeevr, we get the magazine 2 - 3 months later (they're shipped over - 'tho if you ar esperate you can track down air mail deliveries - at a premium price of course)

the dylan issue hasn't gotr here yet - in fact we've only recently had the neil young edition -

my question: which of the two dylan CDs would you recommend
January 17th, 2005 05:50 AM
Gazza I get Uncut by subscription, but how it works is that whenever they have a two-cover, two-CD edition, I only get sent one of them. The Dylan CD I got was the "songs influenced by Bob Dylan" one. I didnt buy the other one, but I actually think it looks more interesting.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood