ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

nAStY hABiTs rEsTRoOm.
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lennon/Jagger Recording Found! ===> Those interested in the song please read Return to archive
01-21-03 09:44 PM
Madafaka Lennon Jagger Recording Found
(Saturday, 18 January, 2003)

An unreleased musical collaboration between John Lennon and Mick Jagger has been discovered more than a quarter of a century after it was recorded.

The cover version of the blues song Too Many Cooks, featuring Jagger on vocals and Lennon on guitar will be auctioned off next month in London.

Jagger is said to have personally confirmed the track was recorded in 1974 while Lennon was estranged from Yoko Ono - the so-called "Lost Weekend" period.

A London record dealer bought the unlabelled record for �20 four years ago from a man claiming to be a friend of Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood.

'Gamble'

Tom Fisher only discovered what was on the acetate record made from a master tape when he listened to it and recognised Jagger's voice.

"I took the gamble because there was just something about the guy."
"I had a feeling what he was telling me was true."

He asked an auctioneer to value it who in turn sent it to Jagger's agent - who is said to have confirmed its authenticity.

Mr Fisher, who runs Rat Records, in Camberwell, south London, said the man he bought it from said Ronnie Wood had given him lots of records.

The Jagger and Lennon version of the song written by Willie Dixon is described as a "funky blues-style track" by auction house Cooper Owen.

Mr Fisher said it was impossible to guess how much the 10" acetate would sell for on 20 February.

"I certainly expect to do a little better than the �20 I paid for it. It's an absolutely cracking track."

Other items in next month's sale include Jimi Hendrix's famous white Fender Stratocaster and the black left-handed Fender Stratocaster used by Kurt Cobain on Nirvana's Nevermind tour.

BBC NEWS (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2672011.stm)
01-21-03 09:53 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL AT LEAST this is the 6th time this news are given here, in fact the first is already in the archives, one of them was deleted as it was posted by a person of my trust and I'm sure she understands why. But people please, one of the first steps in communication is listen before talking, read before writing
01-21-03 10:04 PM
Madafaka Oooooooops! I didn't read that post! Sorry!
Anyway, you can delete this one.
But can you check this link before?
http://www.cooperowen.com/rocklegends.asp

Thanks
[Edited by Madafaka]
01-21-03 10:15 PM
exile anyone managed to find a copy of this song? on WINMX or KAZAA
if so any chance of getting a copy????
01-21-03 10:20 PM
Madafaka I don't think so, but i didn't try yet...
01-21-03 10:22 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Those who want that song e-mail me and I will send the MP3 in one e-mail to all.
01-21-03 10:28 PM
Madafaka E mail sent.
Thnx!
01-21-03 11:04 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The first time it was posted was on January 15, this is the thread http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/01-18-2003/136274-1.html

Since then I asked if someone has heard the other track from those sessions "Bring It On Home To Me", I have never heard it, if someone has it please send it to me to share it with you all.
01-21-03 11:14 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl From Nico Zentgraf's Stones Bible available on line. One of the net treasures and the best or one of the best on-line sources for Stones wisdom.

731200B late December: ALL STAR BAND. Los Angeles, California, The Record Plant.
Producer: John Lennon (Too Many Cooks), MJ (Bring It On Home To Me).
Sound engineer: Roy Cicala (and maybe Gary Kellgren). �Jim Keltner Fan Club Hour�.
- Too Many Cooks (Willie Dixon) -MJ on lead vocals
- Bring It On Home To Me (Sam Cooke) - John Lennon on lead vocals; unverified
Line-up: John Lennon (guitar)/Jesse Ed Davis (gtr)/Danny Kortchmar (gtr)/
Al Kooper and/or Billy Preston (keyb)/Jim Keltner (dr)/Bobby Keys
(sax)/Trevor Lawrence (sax)/Jack Bruce (bass)/Bruce Gary (dr)/
Mike Finnegan (keyb)/Wolfgang Metz (bass)/Rocky Djubano (perc)/
Harry Nilsson & some unidentified girls (bvoc)

What a great website... A lot of work available for free!
01-21-03 11:19 PM
JumpinJackFlash Yeah, that would be great, Lennon was alway's my favorite growing up before the Dark Lord's took me in and made me bleed.
01-21-03 11:19 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
exile wrote:
anyone managed to find a copy of this song? on WINMX or KAZAA
if so any chance of getting a copy????

Well what's the version on 'The Official Black Album' then?
01-21-03 11:35 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This is a photo from a different session but at the same studio, The Record Plant in NYC

The photo is by Bob Gruen

The photo is one year before the recording of the reference tracks, this is December 1972 while "Too Many Cooks" and "Bring It On Home To Me" were recorded December 1973

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST