ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

nAStY hABiTs rEsTRoOm.
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WOW (HBO special) Return to archive
01-19-03 12:04 AM
FPM C10 I watched the HBO special on a 62" TV with surroundsound. We're all of the general opinion that it might have been the best thing that's ever happened in the history of the universe. Anyone else have an opinion?
01-19-03 12:07 AM
LadyJane FPM-C10--Look at the thread below yours. Connect with us. We've been at this for hours!!

LadyJ.
01-19-03 12:09 AM
tumblingdice Hell yeah, this may have been the best show I have saw. I knew it would be good but Damn that was great. Totally rocking and Keith playing Thru and Thru just was great as well. By the time they started Angie my mind was almost blown. Great Show!!!! I am happy for those that were at the show, I know it was great there.
01-19-03 12:13 AM
keefa Mick: "Someone said this is the last time we'll play the garden . . . I don't think so."

That pretty much sums it up
01-19-03 12:16 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Too annoyed to repost what I said... but in short, I didn't like it. At all.

That's just me, though.

I'm sure if you were there and getting it live rather than pumped through the mixer it was absolutely fan-friggin'-tastic.

-tSYX --- But I can't hear what you say...
01-19-03 12:20 AM
Maxmeister
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I watched the HBO special on a 62" TV with surroundsound. We're all of the general opinion that it might have been the best thing that's ever happened in the history of the universe. Anyone else have an opinion?

Oooooh yeah! The year 2003 A.D. goes down in history as the year that contains mankind's greatest achievment.
There just aren't enough adjectives for this concert. What a fucking show. Thru and Thru, CYHMK and Midnight Rambler are the highlights for me. I know I shoudn't be amazed anymore but tonight was just jaw dropping incredible.
The Rolling Stones are truly life and the rest is details.
I'm watching the west coast feed now for another shot of Stones adrenaline
Ooooooh yeah again and again......

Rick

PS. If there happens to be anyone out there who hasn't seen a gig from this tour until tonight, now you know for sure that what we've all been saying the last few months was not bullshit.
It just doesn't get any better.
01-19-03 12:22 AM
Boomhauer
quote:
keefa wrote:
Mick: "Someone said this is the last time we'll play the garden . . . I don't think so."

That pretty much sums it up

Hopefully a new album will be connected with the next tour.
01-19-03 12:33 AM
full moon If you did not like THAT SHOIW you are a fucking moron. Go to another board you fucking piece of trash... ROCK N ROLL FOREVER>> IAM FUCKED UYP and your taste sucks you asshole...
01-19-03 12:36 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
full moon wrote:
If you did not like THAT SHOIW you are a fucking moron. Go to another board you fucking piece of trash... ROCK N ROLL FOREVER>> IAM FUCKED UYP and your taste sucks you asshole...

*Whistles nonchalantly*

No comment. Let's wait 'till ya sober up and then we'll talk rationally. But I don't want to say anything that might hurt yer feelings or that'll make you say something you regret once yer sober.

OK?

-tSYX --- You gotta move...
01-19-03 12:37 AM
Boomhauer You talkin' to me? I liked the show, but I don't think I'm the only one that thought it had some minor problems.

In fact, I'm watching the concert again on tape. Yippie!!!
01-19-03 12:38 AM
BigMac WOOOO-HOO,

Who were those men on stage? Were they the Stones? That was the most awesome show I've seen or heard in my life. Made the 89, 94 & 97 PPV look like a waste of time and money. There were no disappointments, Ronnie was on fire like he has been all tour. Only wish Keith would interact with Mick instead of proving that there is resentment/jealousy towards Mick.

Since this was as close to a perfect show as possible there should be no need to make any changes, but if I could make two, it would have been Keith doing You Got the Silver instead of Thru & Thru (especially since Let it Bleed was the theme) and their choice of When the WHip Comes Down for their B-stage filler between IORR & Brown Sugar. That was not a good selection, and it was done horribly. It wasn't that good at Atlanta- so it should have been dropped. Would've been sweet had they done Hand of Fate, Crazy Mama, or All Down the Line as the filler instead.

LOVED IT SO MUCH, I'M watching it again before I go to bed.

The only way this weekend could get anymore perfect would be if my Titans beat up on PDog's Raiders.

BigMac

01-19-03 12:41 AM
full moon I am fucked up and i love you all.. No offense.. But, how could you not like that.. Ia m surrounded by fucked up people her and we love this shit.. I would kill for that show again.... Mick , keef , ronnie , charlie forever>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-19-03 12:42 AM
full moon Boom. you Chicago Mother Fucker, where wer you.. We are partying here and your ass is nowhere to be found...............
01-19-03 01:05 AM
Martini The gig tonight was great. I love that they stuck to their guns and gave a true 2002-2003 �arena show� for the masses instead of the greatest hits B.S. arena show we got in the Tacoma Dome on 11/6. No special guests to screw things up (although Clapton and Hooker in '89 were really good on the PPV). Nice job, boys!

The Pros:
1. The setlist
2. THE FACT THAT CHUCK LEAVELL WAS FINALLY MIXED WHERE HE SHOULD BE (I.E. LOW)
3. Keith was a fucking badass�hail to the riff king!
4. �JJF� had all the blow-out energy that one could expect to close the mother down. Beautiful.

The Cons:
1. What the hell was that gesture Chuck gave to the camera after he did his solo on �Honky Tonk Woman�?
2. Where was Ron Wood for a good 65% of the show? Quit smoking if it interferes with your job!
3. (Somewhat off-topic) Hey Chuck: I lost the Staples Center ticket contest: I live in Oregon where we have tons of trees. I�d be happy to plant even a few more if you just throw me a bone and get me some tickets. Thanks! I love you! �Talk to me some more, you don�t have to go, you�re the piano man, you make things alright, yeah, yeah, yeah.� Oh wait, I think I�m getting Billy Joel�s �Piano Man� confused with Phoebe Snow�s �Poetry Man.� Oh, shit, Chuck, just give the tickets and you�ve got a damn tree.

-M
01-19-03 01:10 AM
Boomhauer Martini wrote:

"The Cons:
1. What the hell was that gesture Chuck gave to the camera after he did his solo on �Honky Tonk Woman�? "

lol, yeah.............lol.........he thinks he's a Stone.

Chuck, just stick to the directing and keyboard playing. Leave the antics up to Keef, ROn, Mick, and (lol) Charlie.
01-19-03 01:44 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Martini wrote:
3. (Somewhat off-topic) Hey Chuck: I lost the Staples Center ticket contest: I live in Oregon where we have tons of trees. I�d be happy to plant even a few more if you just throw me a bone and get me some tickets. -M

I think you're approaching this all WRONG.

Chuck, I have a chainsaw here and I WILL USE IT. Golden Circle seating or this redwood goes DOWN. - F
01-19-03 02:03 AM
fmk438j With all this talk of ronnie going off but very low in the mix...maybe keith had the plug pulled on the reborn mr wood so he didn't completely steal the limelight.

I hope this is not what happened, ron deserves a knighthood and moore (mandy) for his turn-around.

01-19-03 03:55 AM
Pants Make the Man No way, man! "Thru and Thru" kicked ass!
01-19-03 05:34 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat wowowowow...put it on a dvd and ship it to Europe!!!
01-19-03 08:28 AM
Honky Tonker Full Moon, you're opinion is right on, but your spelling needs some help!
01-19-03 08:48 AM
crb69 I was on the right side of the stage the whole night singing my heart out. The best show I've ever seen them do. It's much different when you're next to them and above them. You get to see the energy between everybody surge together as the songs progress. Thw whole show was good. I had trouble at times distinguishing the guitars (hearing them seperately) The sound got better as the band played on as most shows do. (damned slow sound engineers, lol) But Keith and Mick were pumping like 23 year old blues driven freaks! Midnight Rambler was a highlight for me naturally. I could go on and on as I relive it now. Hey, if you're out there? You did achieve what you've been working for. One of the best shows you possibly could have done. Nothing's perfect, feed back and all. You guys rocked! I haven't danced and sang like that in my life. And I'm sick with a cold...Excellent show guys, you'll always be #1 in my book and the epitomy of Rock 'N Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Edited by crb69]
01-19-03 09:26 AM
LadyJane Good morning my fellow Stonesians!

Now that my buzz is gone and I am completely sober, I will say it again. The show was incredible! I can honestly say that IMO the Stones have never sounded better.

Some observations:

Keith KICKED ASS!! He gets my vote for MVP of the night. He's playing much better than the 2 shows I saw in Florida. I loved "Thru and Thru".

Mick's performance of Midnight Rambler gave me new found appreciation of the song and the Singer (thought it impossible for me to respect Mick more than I already did.)

Charlie Watts is the greatest Rock drummer. Period. At the live shows, you appreciate the sound, but seeing him up close gives new perspective. Solid, stoic, outstanding! What a set of arms!! Hey, he's a pretty sexy 61 year old!!

Ronnie once again proved that his sobriety equates to great guitar playing! Way to go, Woody!

Lisa Fischer is an amazing talent. She needs to be signed to a major label. So glad she got to perform "Gimme Shelter" before such a large audience.

I love you Sheryl Crow, but your presence last night was unnecessary. It just seemed out of place.

Favorite moment of the night--Intro of Keith by Mick. Mick takes Keith's hand and says "We are still engaged".

Another great night in Stones history. It was great to be able to watch from the comfort of home. I cannot wait for Vegas!!

LadyJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
01-19-03 09:56 AM
Gazza >Mick: "Someone said this is the last time we'll play the garden . . . I don't think so."

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah sheeeeeeeeeitttttttt. The most heartening quote I've heard all year

anyone get a great stereo audio feed of this show? if so,lets "tree the fucker"!
01-19-03 11:03 AM
scope Good morning everyone. If you thought this show was great on TV, you should have been there. This was absolutely incredible live. I was sitting at the end of the arena, directly opposite the stage. The sound was great. Yeah, I recall a time thinking Ronnie was a bit low, I gotta disagree with MickJagger1963 (by the way, why weren't you at YOTI?) that Chuck was too loud. Maybe because you were sitting closer to him, it may have ben diferent for you, but from where I was, it was well balanced. When I got home, I rewound the tape, and when playing it back through the TV (mono only), the sound was noticeably lacking. In fact, when Monkey Man started, I couldn't even hear Chuck's keyboard at all. I'll have to give a listen to the stereo version, and play it through the stereo to really compare.

Gazza, when it is replayed, I'm gonna try to record it with my DV camcorder. I could then load it onto the PC and create a great audio track from it. Sorry, don't have a dvd burner yet, but hey, maybe now's the time to get one. I've never tried extracting an audio track from a video, but it should be possible, right? Anyone know how I would go about doing that?

Anyway, it was one fabulous show. What a peformance. I thought Thursday was good, but last night blew me away. I take back my mini-complaint from the other day that Thursday was just practice for Saturday. I was worth it, based on what they gave us last night.

Also, glad to have had the chance to meet up again with some of my fellow lunatics. YOTI brought together Nanky, Tom L, Winter, Luxury1, Stonecrazy and Throbby (did I miss anyone?) JB's dinner in Little Italy must have run a bit long. We waited for ya as long as we could.

Later everyone. Enjoy replaying the show over and over again. I know I will.
01-19-03 11:31 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
wowowowow...put it on a dvd and ship it to Europe!!!

I second your motion, Strange Stray Cat!!! Send it to me!!

Glad to hear that our Glimmer Twins are still engaged... LOL!
01-19-03 11:38 AM
Gazza >Gazza, when it is replayed, I'm gonna try to record it with my DV camcorder. I could then load it onto the PC and create a great audio track from it. Sorry, don't have a dvd burner yet, but hey, maybe now's the time to get one. I've never tried extracting an audio track from a video, but it should be possible, right? Anyone know how I would go about doing that?

thanks Scope! Im sure you guys had a great time..just wish I coulda joined you all again for THIS one!

I dont have a DVD burner either - in fact,I never even download shows from a pc for that matter. song separation between tracks on a live show (as is the norm with mp3's etc) is a no-no for most collectors!

best way to record the audio track surely would be to connect your stereo to your TV for the re-broadcast and record it that way through your speakers - you've effectively got an FM broadcast. thats what i did for Chorzow and Bremen'98 (they werent broadcast live in the UK - but I was able to pick up the audio feed and taped them that way (didnt have a CDR back then!). After that,its easy to transfer to CDR.
01-19-03 03:54 PM
Miss U.
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

I love you Sheryl Crow, but your presence last night was unnecessary. It just seemed out of place.

Favorite moment of the night--Intro of Keith by Mick. Mick takes Keith's hand and says "We are still engaged".

[Edited by LadyJane]

Who were the guest stars? Sheryl & Hubert, anyone else? I'm tired of Sheryl ridin on the coat tails all the time, it dampens my love of her music.

That is hilarious what Mick said!!! Can't wait to see this! Makes a nice b-day present cuz today is my birthday!!!
01-19-03 04:08 PM
Joey " I watched the HBO special on a 62" TV with surroundsound. We're all of the general opinion that it might have been the best thing that's ever happened in the history of the universe. Anyone else have an opinion? "

Actually , my sources tell me that the best thing ever to happen in the history of the Universe will occur on February 1st of this year in Denver Colorado when the Rolling Stones play at the Pepsi Center ...............

I's hear things..................

I's hear things .................

" Mick is banging Sheryl Crow again Ronnie "

{{{{{{{{{{{{{ J O E Y }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
01-19-03 09:18 PM
LadyJane Happy Birthday, Miss U.

In reply to your question, Sheryl Crow was the ONLY guest last night. That is what prompted me to say that her appearance (ok guys, I admit she looked HOT!!) was unnecessary.

Last night was all about the Stones. PERIOD. And a great night it was!!

LadyJ.
01-19-03 09:43 PM
John Wood Notice Keith sceaming at Mick to turn down during When The Whip Comes Down, Then Mick sticking his tongue out at Keith's back but then doing what Keith demanded and turned down. Too bad as I thought Mick's guitar sounded great!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST