ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

nAStY hABiTs rEsTRoOm.
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Boston Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-12-03 11:30 PM
Maxmeister Stonesdoug got this one early again.

You Got Me Rockig
Start Me Up
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Monkey Man
No Expectations
Stray Cat Blues
SFTD
Bitch
Tumbling Dice
Thru and Thru
Before They Make Me Run
Gimme Shelter
All Down the Line
Midnight Rambler
HTW
Street Fighting Man
Satisfaction

B-Stage

IORR
Like a Rolling Stone
Brown Sugar

Encore

JJF

This is one of the better arena sets. Even without CYHMK and with 3 warhorses on the B.
It's the Stones, it's all good!!

Rick
01-13-03 12:17 AM
Bluzian Just checking out the Boston setlist, and expressing my glee
with it!!!

I guess I would like them to focus a little more on mini
sets, ie: a theme is good, and more along the Steel Wheels
genre, as opposed to playing "gimme shelter" "all down the
line" then I think it was "HTW". Personally, I don't like
how "ADTL" goes in between those two warhorses.. Anyways..

I quite liked the Beggars Banquet theme.. Did they really
open up with "YOU GOT ME ROCKIN'"??? Wow!!

Cheers!
Ian

PS: Did anyone on this website win tix for the Staple Centre?

01-13-03 01:39 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Wow, You got me rocking as opener! I think this is the first time. I know many of you hate that one but I love it!

One image

01-13-03 01:50 AM
NHStonesfan My Impressions

You Got Me Rocking- Nice start
Start Me Up-not my favorite but inderstandable slection
If You Can't Rock Me-outstanding
Don't Stop-good
Monkey Man-refined since Gillete
No Expectations-good choice and well done
Stray Cat Blues-Mick got drowned out a little but awesome anyway
SFTD-great as always
Bitch-see stray cat
Tumbling Dice-same as above
Thru and Thru-awesome Charlie was strong Keith energenic
Before They Make Me Run-Keith classic
Gimme Shelter-see sftd
All Down the Line-nice selection
Midnight Rambler-awesome we like the Boston reference
HTW
Street Fighting Man
Satisfaction

B-Stage

IORR
Like a Rolling Stone-really refined since Bridges
Brown Sugar-Bobby Keys did join them as usual and was great

Encore

JJF-the ususal

Can't wait for the HBO special
01-13-03 01:53 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some pix from the official website by Anthony Mathilde

01-13-03 04:24 AM
Moonisup what a setlist!!

BUt I hope they won't drop CYHMK!
[Edited by Moonisup]
01-13-03 06:15 AM
nankerphelge No Expectations!!
What a treat!
01-13-03 06:17 AM
prism Is Mick wearing a fuschia jacket over a maroon shirt over a red T-shirt?
01-13-03 07:43 AM
Nellcote Simply Fantastic!
YGMR was the clue that it was to be a not miss night.
Standouts....No Expectations, a raucous Bitch & All Down The Line, Keith's guitar switch during TD causing him to lean on Charle's glass, hands in air, Thru & Thru...LISA FISCHER one word..smouldering...made it to the B stage, where I met Wintah, B stage is the highlight of every show...Bumped fists with Ronnie during IORR...Earlier in the day, staked out The Four Seasons, just ready to pack it in, when one more trip thru the lobby turned up a sick with a cold...Bobby Keyes..Great chap, signed for us....

One constant thought I had thru the show was...
How can any other band even profess to come close to this greatness...

Have a great time in NYC!!
[Edited by Nellcote]
[Edited by Nellcote]
01-13-03 08:19 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I was too burnt-out last night to write anything (let alone speak, I communicated in nods and so forth), but I was absolutely thrilled by this.

I'll write a full review tonight (I'm too tired and don't have enough time to put my thoughts together), but damn, damn, *damn* was this one good.

It was, for the most part, like a dream come true. Ronnie up, Chuck down (both for the most part with very few exceptions), and an absolute revitalization of the great Keith Richards made my night.

Sorry I missed you guys at Sully's... my conversation went like this with the door guards.

"Hey."
"ID."
"I'm here for the Stones, man."
"ID."
"I'm not drinkin', I'm here with my father, for christ's sake, I'm here for the Stones, lemme in."
"ID."
"Fuck this."

And that's how I missed y'all. Much apologies.

Here's the thing.

The Weave is back.

The Stones are trying very very hard to go back to 1975. It's obvious in the stuff they're selling, the way in which they're touring (without a new album), the way Ronnie's gallavanting about the stage, and the rollicking way in which Keith and Ronnie are trying to get that weave back. Sometimes it worked and was beautiful ("You Got Me Rocking" was the best live version I've ever heard... may be a serious contender for best live version ever), sometimes they hit a few rough patches ("Stray Cat Blues", "No Expectations", "Bitch") while keeping the songs great. Keith has woken up, that's for sure. It's like he realized all of a sudden at the end of last leg that Ronnie was becoming a cult favorite and said "Hang on... I'm the prince of friggin' darkness here...." and started playing his ass off.

Friggin' awesome. Full review to come.

-tSYX --- Hey, hey!
01-13-03 08:48 AM
riffhard64 i got busted at the door with a fucking joint and they threw my ass out so i missed the fucking show.....i am so fucking pissed off!..350.00 down the fucking drain.....fuck,,,,fuck,,,fuck
[Edited by riffhard64]
01-13-03 08:54 AM
Stonesmillenium2001
quote:
Maxmeister wrote:
Stonesdoug got this one early again.

You Got Me Rockig
Start Me Up
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Monkey Man
No Expectations
Stray Cat Blues
SFTD
Bitch
Tumbling Dice
Thru and Thru
Before They Make Me Run
Gimme Shelter
All Down the Line
Midnight Rambler
HTW
Street Fighting Man
Satisfaction

B-Stage

IORR
Like a Rolling Stone
Brown Sugar

Encore

JJF

This is one of the better arena sets. Even without CYHMK and with 3 warhorses on the B.
It's the Stones, it's all good!!

Rick

this is a great way to change up their set. i hope they remain like this for the rest of the tour but move the b-stage setlist up a bit.
01-13-03 09:04 AM
nankerphelge Riffhard64 - busted for a joint??!!
Man that's just wrong...
01-13-03 09:20 AM
NHStonesfan Riffhard64-were you careless? I could have smuggled my wife in the Fleet last night. alhtough she is small
01-13-03 09:53 AM
Bob Tamp Last night was the bed sounding show I heard of the tour. Every lead was crystal clear. Jagger was energetic. Richards and Wood were all over the stage. The guitars were great- the audience estatic. No comparison to opening night. This was a new band. Did anybody catch Woody hold the guitar over his head and play. It was great. And they threw out guitar picks almost between every song. They were so tight, and clearly were the worlds greatest rock and roll band last night hands down.

....I was disappointed that Riffhard didn't get in. I haven't spoken to him yet. I kept waiting for him to walk around and try to get in since I dont think they took his ticket. He's a loyal stones fan, and the Fleet people were simply assholes. They could have just taken the joint and let him in.
01-13-03 10:40 AM
T&A ok - my $.02 -

YGMR must not remain an opener - this is one of the worst Stones openers ever (maybe THE worst). What the hell was wrong with SFM anyway?

CYHMK dropped?!!!! No excuse. Yeah, yeah - great setlist aside (what's with the warhorse-laden b-stage, though - that's where things are supposed to be interesting). But, CYHMK is THE highlight of the entire tour - it better be an aberration.
[Edited by T&A]
01-13-03 10:50 AM
NHStonesfan Stones roll out new set: Crowd feasts on 'Beggar's Banquet' fare

by Dean Johnson
Monday, January 13, 2003

The Rolling Stones, with Ryan Adams, at the FleetCenter, last night.

Perfect music isn't always great music, something the Rolling Stones learned a long time ago and proved again last night at the FleetCenter.

The band's 135-minute show for a full house was hardly flawless, but it was great fun and included some scintillating performances.

Though last night's gig was the supergroup's fourth show in the Hub since the Stones started their world tour here in early September, the 22-song set was different from the previous three shows. The Stones promised to mix things up from night to night when they started the tour, and they've made good on that vow. Each show has featured several tracks from one Stones album. Last night, ``Beggar's Banquet'' was in the spotlight.

The group just recently returned to the road after a break in its schedule, but there was no signs of rust when the band opened with taut takes of ``You Got Me Rocking'' and ``Start Me Up,'' the latter tune recently co-opted by Ford for its new marketing campaign.

The Stones were both tighter and more relaxed than during last fall's tour-opening show at the FleetCenter. With an upcoming live HBO concert Saturday from New York City, the Stones added some elements to the gig that they likely were testing for a live audience before they headed south.

The group still performed a three-song mini-set on a small stage in the middle of the FleetCenter floor, for example. But instead of the blues standards in the middle of the show they tried the first time around, the group strolled out to the small stage near the very end of the night and unleashed two of their hits, ``It's Only Rock and Roll'' and ``Brown Sugar,'' along with the sole cover song they performed, a terrific rendition of Dylan's ``Like a Rolling Stone.'' Ironically, the Dylan song ignited the evening's most enthusiastic singalong.

Jagger was in a state of constant motion from start to finish, whether it was a tomcat strut, some herky jerky prancing, or just shamless shimmies for the crowd. Highlights included heady, muscular versions of ``Gimme Shelter'' and ``Midnight Rambler'' as well as a surly ``Monkey Man'' that teetered on chaos, and a pulsating ``Stray Cat Blues.''

Keith Richards took over lead vocals for ``Thru and Thru'' and ``Before They Make Me Run,'' and there was such a casual, impromptu feel to parts of the show that Jagger asked the band what key ``Stray Cat Blues'' was in before they jumped into it.

Guitarists Richards and Ron Wood showed more of the synergy that has fueled the band during its latter days. At times, it was difficult to figure out which one was soloing. Their work was full of barbed-wire licks and gritty, slicing riffs whether they were performing a big hit, such as ``Satisfaction'' or ``Street Fighting Man'' or digging deeper into the Stones' songbook for ``If You Can't Rock Me.''

Nearly 40 concerts into a world tour that will continue at least until the summer, the Stones ably showed they're still willing to take chances, mix more obscure songs with their big hits, and beat back Father Time with mike stands and electric guitars.

Ryan Adams opened the night with a sturdy, energetic set that highlighted his smart, well-crafted original tunes. He started slowly but won over most of the crowd before he was done.
01-13-03 10:52 AM
NHStonesfan Stones return with a little rust, a lot of rock

By Steve Morse, Globe Staff, 1/13/2003

Gone were the media hordes that covered the Rolling Stones when they launched their tour at the FleetCenter in September. Last night was more of a business-as-usual show for the Stones, who returned to Boston to satisfy the popular demand. The demand was heavy - another sold-out crowd - and the music was blisteringly heavy as well. The band revved up the volume and led an ecstatic charge that no doubt left many fans with ringing ears as they awoke today.

The show was more manic and more rushed than the better-balanced September kickoff. But it was still a transcendent night of rock 'n' roll bearing the inimitable stamp of the Stones, now celebrating their 40th year of wreaking havoc on the stage. They displayed some signs of rust after a recent month layoff for the holidays ("Honky Tonk Women" had more than a few guitar clams), but the highs far outweighed any lows.

Mick Jagger and the lads also made just enough changes in the song list to make it interesting for fans who had attended the September show (Jagger asked how many people had caught that show and it seemed as if half the crowd raised their hands). The band opened with a different song ("You Got Me Rocking") and dug into a different album for deep-catalog tracks. In September, it was "Exile on Main Street." This time it was 1969's "Let It Bleed," from which the Stones performed the rollicking "Gimme Shelter" (with backup singer Lisa Fischer stepping up like an unchained Tina Turner), the moody "Midnight Rambler," and the explosive "Monkey Man," with Jagger making some wild and kinky monkey motions as the audience roared approval.

The Stones played as a tight six-piece to start last night's two-hours-plus show, cranking from "You Got Me Rocking" to "Start Me Up" (yes, the song you've heard on the TV ads for Ford), "If You Can't Rock Me," and "Don't Stop." The high-energy, high-decibel tone was thus set, and further crescendos were reached on successive classics "Monkey Man," the countryish "No Expectations" (a welcome change of pace), the visceral "Stray Cat Blues" (a highlight of the September Fleet show as well), "Sympathy for the Devil," "Bitch," and "Tumbling Dice." That was enough to force anyone to catch his or her breath.

Jagger took a much-needed break, giving way to Keith Richards's patented two songs, this time the soul-bending "Thru and Thru" (from 1994's "Voodoo Lounge" CD) and "Before They Make Me Run." Then Jagger blazed back for "Gimme Shelter" and a host of other Stones oldies such as "All Down the Line," "Street Fighting Man" (which the band had opened with at the Fleet in the fall) and then renditions of "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone," and "Brown Sugar" performed on a secondary stage in the middle of the floor.

The overall verdict was another thumbs up, with special kudos to Charlie Watts's tireless, in-the-pocket drum work, Richards's renegade-of-funk rhythms, and Ronnie Wood's fluid slide-guitar solos.

Opener Ryan Adams acquitted himself well, ripping through some Stonesy guitar tunes (his five-piece band was exemplary) and paying tribute to deceased Clash singer Joe Strummer in "To Be Young (Is to Be Sad, Is to Be High)." Adams showed that he can be an arena act if he so desires.
01-13-03 10:59 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy T&A-

First off, thanks for 1234, man! I owe ya big time!

Also - when I heard it, I thought the same thing... "Oh, god, why?" but as it started up I said "Hey, waitaminute... the friggin' keyboard is off and Keith and Ronnie are *playing together*, as in, really completing each other's guitar phrases... it was, as they say, goddamn awesome.

I was thinking they might do "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" as an encore, but no such luck. But I get the reason why they didn't play it - all these songs were *long*. "All Down The Line", "Don't Stop", "Sympathy", etc., were extended beautifully by the boys at the guitars. I wouldn't have taken anything out to make room for it - it would have at that point made the concert run longer, and I much rather would have heard "Rambler" and "All Down The Line" rather than just "Knocking" again. I have eight different versions on my computer... I'm happy.

I'll give a full review tonight. I've just gotta think on it... but I think it was in almost all ways (except for the lack of "Rocks Off" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", which are understandably and lamentably absent but which I can't see any songs making way for 'em) a better show than 9/3.

-tSYX --- Well ya heard about the Boston... whuhh!
01-13-03 11:54 AM
Jumping Jack CYHMK is being given a rest until MSG when Mick Taylor guests. Look at the vote on RS.com, it will be a Sticky Fingers night.
01-13-03 12:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
CYHMK is being given a rest until MSG when Mick Taylor guests. Look at the vote on RS.com, it will be a Sticky Fingers night.

Christ, I hate this, people talking like they *know* Mick Taylor's playing some venue.

Guys... it's pretty damn sure he's *not coming back*. Get over it. The Stones do not *need* Mick Taylor. Please, please, please, give it a fucking rest. He's a great player and deserves better than what he's got now - but he's not a Stone anymore. And you certainly don't *know* he's playing that night, Jumping Jack, just as I don't *know* he's not. But I'd say the odds are in my favor. You don't know any of the crap you just said above - it's just friggin' annoying to read someone saying "Oh, Mick Taylor'll play with them."

I don't think it's gonna happen. I hope it doesn't. They don't need him anymore. They're doing damn well on their own.

-tSYX --- Yeah, hear the children cryin', all down the line...
01-13-03 03:42 PM
luxury1 I am so tired I am dizzy. How do these 60 yr old men do it, night after night??
Good to see everyone again. And Voodoo is right--You Got Me.. was a great opener, and I don't really care for the song either. THey came out like tigers released from the cage--the guitars way up front and in your face. These guys just keep getting better and better. Now I need some beauty rest before MSG>
01-13-03 05:55 PM
Gazza >i got busted at the door with a fucking joint and they threw my ass out so i missed the fucking show.....i am so fucking pissed off!..350.00 down the fucking drain.....fuck,,,,fuck,,,fuck
[Edited by riffhard64]

shit man..you should have told them you only had the joint in your possession as you were doing some 'research' into drug use at rock concerts....MIGHT have worked!
01-13-03 07:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
shit man..you should have told them you only had the joint in your possession as you were doing some 'research' into drug use at rock concerts....MIGHT have worked!

LOLOLOLOL
01-13-03 08:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
riffhard64 wrote:
i got busted at the door with a fucking joint and they threw my ass out so i missed the fucking show.....i am so fucking pissed off!..350.00 down the fucking drain.....fuck,,,,fuck,,,fuck
[Edited by riffhard64]

That's sad riffhard64, remember to get loaded before the show, then only with a positive antidoping you won't be in.

Did you get busted smoking the joint or they inspected you and found it?
01-13-03 10:00 PM
MP still surviving on 4 hrs sleep.........about to crash.......Fleet ROCKED last eve!
01-13-03 11:07 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I posted my review, because of it's enormous length, in a seperate thread - 's over here at http://novogate.com/board/968/136020-1.html .

Enjoy!

-tSYX --- In fact it's a gas!
01-13-03 11:21 PM
Bluzian Gazza!! Hillarious!! *LOLOL* You crack me up man!!! Does
Pete now live in The Wick?? Was that not originally passed
on from Daltrey to RonWood then to Townsend?? Hmmm...

Thanks for the laugh mate! hehe

Cheers,
Ian
01-14-03 11:31 AM
Martha
Great reviews thanks everyone.

Riffhard64..what a HUGE bummer...once you can speak of this again can you fill us in on the details???

I've taken in a joint or two into the shows...in my day and never got found out (luckily)...hide 'em in my purse..

But I know you didn't do that....so what is the deal???

How can they make you stay out when you had a ticket?????

Fuckers!

And bloody booze is legal..it still galls me.

If I smoke anything at all it's only a hit or two while I'm hiding in the bathroom stalls at a venue....

Oh, I'm resorting to the pranks of my youth..just like friggin' High School!!!! Look what those Rolling Stones are DOING to me!!!

After that Detroit judges debacle I ain't taking no chances Ronnie!!!!!!
01-15-03 04:11 PM
NHStonesfan It's no hanging matter but the girl was
"only 19 years old" during Stray Cat Blues
at the Fleetcenter.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST