ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

NYC January 2006
© Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Replacements (Let it Be, etc.), NSC Return to archive
January 19th, 2006 07:27 PM
Prodigal Son Wow, they are my new favourite 80s band. Paul Westerberg is a great songwriter. His teeenaged themes songs are way better than any of the punkish sellout crap being released today whether it be by mainstream losers like Simple Plan or "underground/edgy" favourites such as Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance. I already had their 1985 disc Tim which I found a charming alternative/punk rock set that provoked my interest, but I always heard so much about Let it Be. It's better than the Beatles one by the same name.

First couple of listens I liked it, but didn't understand why it always places high on critic's lists. Then subsequent listens have reinforced that praise cause this album is awesome. They have a great punk/power pop sound that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator but Let it Be apparently infused some folk and country touches (they started off as a thrash punk band-not metal though, there's a difference). I now would like to check out other top-notch LPs of theirs: Pleased to Meet Me, Stink, etc. Anyone else really like this group?
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
January 19th, 2006 07:54 PM
texile great band - along with los lobos, my favorite from the 80s...
achin to be and skyway are two of my favorite sad songs ever.
January 19th, 2006 08:13 PM
FPM C10 GREAT band.

I've always really loved Pleased To Meet Me, which they recorded as a 3-piece when Bob Stinson was fired for excessive drunkenness (which is like getting kicked out of the Stones for doing too much blow in the 80s, which Ronnie almost was)- especially the end of IOU when the cymbal falls off the stand and crashes to the floor.

I'm not an obsessive fan, so I'm not a fountain of knowledge about them. But I know what I like, and I like the Replacements.

I also like the goofy song They Might Be Giants wrote about them (sort of) which sounds like the theme song to the 'Mats weekly sitcom, if they had one (and they SHOULD have had one, damn it!) It's funny that the song sounds NOTHING like them, though - it sounds more like Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

Hi, we're the Replacements (hi)
And we're playing in a rock'n'roll band (we're playing in a rock'n'roll band)
We're having a good time (we're)
Rock'n'rollin' 'til the break of dawn (Rock'n'rollin' 'til the break of dawn)

Hey, where's Tommy? Someone find Tommy
We're out on the road
Moving equipment, where's the equipment
Soon we're going home

Then we'll have a party (then)
Rock'n'rollin' 'til the break of dawn (Rock'n'rollin' 'til the break of dawn)
And we're playing in a rock'n'roll band (we're playing in a rock'n'roll band)

I don't wanna!
Hi
Hi
Hi
We're playing in a rock'n'roll band
We're
We're
We're
Rock'n'rollin' 'til the break of dawn

January 19th, 2006 08:13 PM
bostone huge fan right here. sometimes it's really hard to get past the production, but i really love let it be, tim, pleased to meet me and stink. all the albums have some great songs on them, but those are my favorites...
January 20th, 2006 04:07 PM
purrcafe The last great rock and roll band . . .
January 20th, 2006 04:13 PM
Culpa One of the times that I saw them, in 1989 or 1990, they did "Happy".

C
January 20th, 2006 04:34 PM
Factory Girl Not to rain on this parade--

I saw Paul W. at the 9:30 club last year, and thought he was boring. And, he would NOT stop playing.

We left at 1:30am, and he was still playing. Yikes...

Not my shot of salvation vodka.
January 20th, 2006 07:02 PM
bostone usually at a PW show, I wish he wouldn't stop playing... unless it's solo... but even then, it's pretty sweet to me.
I liked the boston show last year with the band. Unlike your show, it was short, due to the club needing to re-open as a euro disco at 10:00.

quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Not to rain on this parade--

I saw Paul W. at the 9:30 club last year, and thought he was boring. And, he would NOT stop playing.

January 20th, 2006 09:40 PM
purrcafe
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Not to rain on this parade--

I have to agree, as I had the same experience here in NY. Loved the Replacements albums, loved them as a live band, but Westerberg solo did nothing for me live.
January 20th, 2006 09:52 PM
bostone et tu purrcafe?

if we can put up with the stones being old and playing cliche material for corporate audiences, surely westerberg deserves some slack in his formative years!

just kidding. I love westerberg, but i understand that a lot of his solo material can be a little underwhelming...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)