ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Marianne Faithfull and Desmond Guinness - August 1968
© Slim Aarons
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Satanic Majesties SACD mini-review Return to archive
01-12-04 01:47 PM
T&A I always kinda liked the album anyway. Well, I got me an SACD player for Xmas and finally got a chance to listen to Satanic over the weekend. Wow! Brilliant album. And, obviously THIS is the album the Stones heard at the Olympic studios in 1967 and one the public hasn't heard until now. It was literally like a first-time listen (and it's an album I've played many dozens of times). Even songs like Gomper seem to have coherence and purpose (always sounded like a bunch of random noise before). I was simply stunned. This new technology is an absolute marvel.

01-12-04 01:53 PM
Factory Girl Tower records (or Tower.com) has Stones SACD for $9.99 (single disc).

I picked up the Singles Collection ($29..97), and may have to pick up Satanic Majesties.

Thanks for the review.
01-12-04 01:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Long time ago I was almost fired and banned for saying that this album is fantastic... in the fantasy context and it's great I love all, even "In another Land" (acid in the grass), the album is so high, it contains certain acidity

I have the SACD disc but not the player, and even that way it sounds terrific

pH = 0
01-12-04 02:25 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox i never understood why Satanic took so much abuse. it is at least as good if not better than all the other "psychedelic" albums of 1967. ive had an SACD player for a few months now but still havnt put my whole stereo together yet. i recently got a ridiculus deal on an NAD amp and preamp so now im a set of speakers away from pissing all of my neighbors off. that is if i dont run out of money on beer and insanely expensive textbooks.
01-12-04 03:11 PM
Child of the Moon I would *love* to hear this album on a SACD player, because I *love* this album. Just hearing the remaster on a regular CD player is excellent, but to hear what the Stones must have heard...

"They're naked and they're nice!... Stay as long as you like, there's a bar downstairs..."
01-12-04 04:17 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat I like Gomper.
01-12-04 04:27 PM
Moonisup satanic gets a new meaning if you listen to it when had some mushrooms
01-12-04 09:50 PM
stonedatbirth666 On with the show, great song!
01-13-04 06:33 PM
corgi37 It shits me to death to still have Beatle fans say to me the Stones copied them. Maybe they did, but to me, they surpassed the Liverpool Losers. It's a big call for some to take, but i reckon Satanic is way better the Pepper. Then again, i think having a fist up my ass would be better than Pepper. Citadel is a mighty fine song. Keith's feedback is a brilliant touch. I like The Lantern too. Both 2,000 songs are mighty fine. But, really, i can see why Wyman never got another song on an album, though it fits in on this record. The album wasnt the flop it was made out to be. I dont know the final sales figures though. But, the big dude at Decca stated when it went on sale "its not a success, its a phenomenon". Well, thats according to a fan-boy book i have from 1969. Having said all that, i can see why people dont respect it much. Especially compared to what was to follow. The important thing about this album was that the Stones ditched the LOOG before hand and produced it themselves (sort of). So it's kind of the first steps of the Glimmer Twins. I havent even got it on cd yet, and i dont plan to. But, i did get the Hair dvd today from the States. Satanic and Hair. How trippy, man.
01-14-04 08:19 AM
JumpingKentFlash It ain't better than Sgt. Pepper. But also it doesn't suck as much as most people says.
01-14-04 03:47 PM
Navin Got the Mickboy Statanic remaster recently...is it better than the SACD version?
01-14-04 04:02 PM
T&A Mickboy stuff is waaaay over-hyped. I have most of his - not this one, but there's no earthly way he's outdone the SACD (not the regular CD layer, but the SACD layer)...technically not really possible...Mickboy is working from a vastly inferior source.

BEST VIEWED HIGH