ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Marianne Faithfull and Desmond Guinness - August 1968
© Slim Aarons
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pirates of Carribean - Depp/Richards Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-09-04 06:33 PM
T&A Finally got a chance to watch this flick the other day and I was dumbfounded. I had heard that Depp based his character on Keith - but, shit, this was ridiculous. Any awards that Depp may be in line for ought to go straight to Keith's cabinet. I mean, I kept expecting Chawlie to show up behind Depp with a caribbean drum-set or something....
[Edited by T&A]
01-09-04 07:08 PM
Some Guy Yeah, I freaked also the first time I saw it, which was when it was released on video. There is a Keith interview on the disc somewhere. Its a trip.
01-09-04 10:48 PM
Lazy Bones There's also a "bit" in the recent UNCUT magazine (featuring Keith) where Johnny Depp discusses "...pirates were the rock'n'roll stars of the 18th century. And to me, the greatest rock'n'roll star of all time, the coolest rock'n'roll star of all time, is Keith Richards, hands down."

"...Keith became the main inspiration, not an imitation...".

He concludes by saying, "I've been lucky to spend time with him (Keith). I hope he likes the movie when he sees it. I hope he recognizes it as a salute to himself."
01-10-04 01:18 AM
sirmoonie Finally saw it myself. That aspect of an otherwise formula movie is truly amazing. A tribute to Depp's acting and Keith's rock and roll style.
01-10-04 01:25 AM
Sir Stonesalot The Keith interview is on disc 2.

You go to like the fourth or fifth option down on the menu. Select it. Then go to the bottom and click the down arrow twice until the tooth on the skull lights up. Hit select, and watch in awe and wonder.
01-10-04 09:30 AM
LadyJane I'd heard the hype..thought I was prepared. But when you first see Depp and hear him speak....WOW!!

What a great tribute to Keef. And that hidden little interview is priceless!

The movie is good too btw.

LJ.
01-10-04 11:43 AM
cwatts0462 DEPP SAID THIS IS NOT AN IMITATION OF KEITH
I THINK IT IS AN IMITATION, DEPP SAID THAT HE
WAS INSPIRED BY KEITH
01-10-04 12:11 PM
Maxmeister I finally watched this flick last weekend. Depp's performance was exactly as everyone had said.
The coolest was when I asked my wife who Depp sounded and acted like. After watching a few more mins, she said Keith! She is definitely learning even if it's by osmosis.
Now I need to check out the interview.

Rick
01-10-04 12:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nice to hear from ya Bro!

C10!
01-10-04 12:45 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Nice to hear from ya Bro!

C10!

It's good to be here, hell its good to be anywhere! [lol]

Philly and NE will be playing here 3 weeks from tomorow.

Rick
01-10-04 01:23 PM
egon sorry but i don't see it.

depp playing a gay pirate yes, but otherwise...
01-10-04 02:00 PM
Factory Girl Depp fans shouls also check out "Don Juan de Marko".

It is a quirky flick with Depp playing a mental patient and Marlon Brando playing his psychiatrist.
01-10-04 05:56 PM
Honky Tonker Depp was "inspired" by Keith kinda like Ronnie inspired "Only R'n'R" and "Hey Negrita".
01-10-04 06:21 PM
Honky Tonker SS, I can't get into the KR interview. Please give me a "glimmer" as to how to get in.
01-11-04 11:49 AM
Honky Tonker The KR segment is on Disc 2. Go to "Moonlight Serenade". Then go to Menu at bottom of screen. Press the down button a couple of times until the tooth lights up. Press enter. The interview is short but excellent. Thanks,SS.
01-12-04 12:20 PM
Martha "Pirates" won the People's Choice Awards last night...YooHoo!
01-12-04 12:54 PM
Factory Girl Depp should have won best actor.

Hanks, Gibson & Roberts (actors that actually won) are such has-beens.
01-12-04 12:55 PM
Monkey Woman Depp rules. And now he's going to play a "libertine". After Keith, Mick???
01-12-04 01:16 PM
Factory Girl What do you mean Depp will play a libertine?

Please explain.
01-12-04 01:40 PM
M.O.W.A.T. I finally saw POTC last night and was amazed at Depp's performance. He really nails Keith. Right now, it is one of my favourite movies. I was never a big Depp fan before but after seeing this movie, he is quickly moving up the ladder.
01-12-04 10:48 PM
glencar "Blow" was a better Depp performance but this was a fun afternoon earlier this year.
01-13-04 08:08 AM
Factory Girl Blow was so heavy. Pirates was light & fluffy-no wonder the masses loved it...lol
01-13-04 12:49 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
What do you mean Depp will play a libertine?

Please explain.

"The Libertine" is the title of his next movie. More here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375920/
He plays a 17th Century English nobleman and debauched poet in the film, currently shooting in London. It's base on the play by Stephen Jeffreys and inspired from the life of John Wilmot.
01-13-04 01:02 PM
LadyJane 17th century "period piece", debauchery AND the great John Malkovich as a co-star. This definitely has potential.

MW..I must say you are a wealth of information on so many diverse topics.

LJ.
01-13-04 02:51 PM
Monkey Woman Thank you kindly, LJ!
Addicted to webcrawling, Google searching and newsites... I'll go into rehab at some other time!
01-13-04 02:53 PM
glencar Yes, it's all out there MW but you're the one who gets it for the rest of us lazies. Thank you kindly, ma'am.
01-13-04 07:37 PM
exile What does Keith say in the interview on POTC dvd
for those of us that have not got it?

01-13-04 07:54 PM
exile What Keith said about POTC in "ASK KEITH" on http://www.keithrichards.com

Q:Johnny Depp used you blah blah blah..... Have you seen the film and are you flattered

A:I realized why Johhny and I had been hanging for a couple of years and he always paid for dinner. And now i realize that he was just paying the model, you know.
So yeah I tell you Ive seen it once and yes I thought he got it down pretty good, you know.
But I mean at the same time its not all me, you knowwhat i mean. Its a lot of him too, but at the same time I thought .... yeah thanks for dinner Johnny.
01-13-04 08:45 PM
Some Guy I'm smoking up and watching it on DVD now.
01-13-04 11:20 PM
Fiji Joe Ditto freaked...he was more Keef than Keef
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH