ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Marianne Faithfull and Desmond Guinness - August 1968
© Slim Aarons
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The New Album. (You decide it). Return to archive
01-06-04 06:54 AM
JumpingKentFlash OK, if you could decide what the next Stones album would be like, how would it be??? I know that this probably have been done before, but since this is most likely the year the Stones put out a new record for the first time in 7 years, we might as well get juiced.....erh, do it again.

If I could decide it, they would put it out in a digi-pack, a normal cd-case and a triple-cd for the fans. The record should consist of 4-5 rock tracks of high standards, 3-4 ballads of equally high standards, 1-2 fill tracks of the kind that becomes very popular at the concerts. That's the new cd done then. The 2nd disc should be a warhorses disc wih new recordings of the warhorses in different arrangements. The third disc should be consisting of a concert held for fans in a very, very small place with room for only 100 people. Now that would be a cool disc, doncha think???
01-06-04 08:38 AM
J.J.Flash Gimme those fuckin' blues.

We need raw blues, nothing too much POP, but those raw blues man,

"I got rambling, I got rambling all on my mind.
I got rambling, I got rambling all on my mind.
I hates to leave my baby, but she treats me so unkind"

"Ronnie, gimme a triple shot of that stuff: One bourbon, one scotch and one beer"
01-06-04 08:49 AM
full moon Blues and RAW guitar sounds.......
01-06-04 09:02 AM
nankerphelge I'm with JJF -- I'd like to hear some blues too.
Some serious blues with Keith showing some of the roots like Two Trains.

Some blues with Ronnie on slide -- that Meet Me in the Bottom stuff!

And some country swing with Ronnie on some twangy ass thang -- a pedal steel a la Yellow Cab.

I'd like to see one or two longer songs with some funky guts -- Pain of Love type -- I liked Out of Control -- it wasn't Cant' You Hear Me Knockin', but it was a reasonable song at this stage of their career.

And I like the concert rockers -- I Like You Got Me Rockin' and I Go Wild!! There should always be a couple of songs that you can sing to, no matter how freakin' lit you are!

Hey Hey
You got me rockin' now
Hey Hey
You got me rockin' now
Hey Hey

I mean come on!
That is pure!

A good Stones album needs a ballad or two it seems -- but if they do it, it would be nice to hear a little gospel or soul -- Can't Always Get type stuff or Salt of the Eath or Shine a Light.

Don't want Keith ballad/croons.
I don't want whiny Mick ballads like Already Over Me and Out of Tears.

I want Jagbonics!
I want Mick on harp and maracas!
I would like some Reggae if this release is set for spring/summer!

I think all of the above is entirely reasonable and doable!

01-06-04 09:20 AM
SHINE A LIGHT back to the beautiful blues and some raw keith guitar stuff. they shoud not even try to "please the public" with a "hit tune"......just please the fans!!!
01-06-04 10:55 AM
Gimme Shelter I think we are unanimous: BLUES!!!
01-06-04 11:26 AM
Nasty Habits The blues only works for the Stones in the context of some damn rock and roll!

One or two blues based numbers are fine, but an all blues album would run the risk of being too staid, serious, or friggin' dead.

I don't care what they make as long as they MEAN it.

Although I do vote for an all analogue album performed in some crappy studio a la Marconi where they can make music that actually sounds like music instead of yucky acoustically dead modern studio whizzbang.
01-06-04 01:53 PM
trevcourt No whizzbang! And how about allowing D. Jones in the band! Why are they always trying to hide him?
01-06-04 02:08 PM
beer I think the new album should have a definite gangster rap sound to it. And let Charlie sing a few songs(perhaps a cover of the Dr. Dre song "Nothin But a G Thing").

I think they should get back to their roots and try to emulate black music again.
01-06-04 02:11 PM
glencar They need to rock it up a bit. They'll probably not ahve a top ten single again but it's still worth trying to get some airplay on whatever rock stations are left. I liked "Don't Stop" but the other 3 new songs on 40 Licks were weak. Hell, even Dirty Work beat that stuff out.
01-06-04 04:27 PM
Joey

I would like to lick Charlie's eyebrow .

..............and you ?!?!
01-06-04 05:02 PM
Mr. D We need a raw, gritty, (somewhat) sloppy, lowdown bluesy record. And it needs to be recorded not as slick as the last couple records. That would add to the effect.
[Edited by Mr. D]
01-07-04 08:38 AM
Monkey Woman I'll take anything they record, as long as it's heartfelt and sincere. A solid blues-inspiredey rock album, laced with a few heartmelting ballads and a peppering of exotic sounds... Classic Stone stuff is always a treat. A little experimentation like in BTB would be interesting though. The Stones have always gone to new heights when they went off the well worn path. Going into pop in the 64-66 era, then back to blues roots in 1968-72, trying reggae gave us things like Hey Negrita to You Don't Have To Mean It, then funk (Fingerprint File, Shattered), dance grooves (Miss You) and electronic sounds (Might As Well Get Juiced)... There's also the influence of exotica, from the samba groove in SFTD to a Moroccan inspired thing like Continental Drift. They often came up with great songs! This time, why not the infusing of Indian music, like Keith hinted during the stop in Bombay and Bangalore last year?
01-07-04 09:10 AM
Zeeta Yeah I agree that it should be back to basics stuff after Bridges. I think though to some extent ikt is all in the production.

They better not let Babyface get his filthy pooey baby's hands all over it again.

Glyn Johns's son Ethan Johns is meant to be fairly hot - he produced Kings of Leon's album, so what more proof do ya need!
01-08-04 03:19 PM
sandrew I'd like the songs to be slick and the production raw. I want an album full of the oddities left off "Voodoo Lounge." Seriously.
01-09-04 05:12 AM
luxury1 I couldnt agree more with Monkey Woman--very well articulated, my friend. My, you are good with photos and words!!
01-09-04 03:51 PM
macawber a great new record is no longer possible, two reasons:

mick and keith: they treat each other like the guy at work you don't really care for but..ya got a job to do.they can keep a polite distance on tour but to write songs ...forget it.

the musicians:they don't have the horses-

daryll jones:a jazz player who has worked with madonna
chuck leavell:he wasn't in THE allman brothers band-he joined after duane died.
don was-a clueless jackass who has made records for bette midler and diana ross.
if any of these people are involved kiss your blues/rock record GOODBYE.
01-09-04 05:00 PM
sandrew I think Mick is finished as a lyricist ... has written nothing but dreck for over 10 years now. He's still good at coming up with melodies, but has had too large a role in writing music for the last few Stones albums. Which brings us to --

-- Keith: He still has interesting things to say but, I fear, has pretty much lost his rock voice as a writer. "How Can I Stop" was one of the best things he's ever written, period. "Too Tight" was great, a surprising last gasp -- a great Keith riff, and a healthy collaboration between him and Mick.

But what else on "Bridges" rocked? "Low Down"? Blahhh. "Gunface"? Mick's. "Flip the Swith"? So-so. "Out of Control"? Mick's. "Saint of Me"? Didn't really rock, and was Mick's (see: above comment about Mick writing too much music.) "Thief"? OK, but another plodder.

Keith should make a Chet Bakeresque album on his own; or make a piano album with Norah Jones (they both share an obvious affinity for Floyd Kramer; and with Norah covering the "The Worst," the two must've made some connection somewhere, probably at that Willie Nelson thing).

Mick should probably just hang it up. Or we're gonna get another album of great Keith ballads -- and then a bunch of "Dancing in the Starlight"s with Keith barely rescuing them from unbearable banality.

Give me a double album of Keith and Blondie Chaplin and Don Smith (the producer who recorded the "Wingless Angels" and worked on "Voodoo Lounge"). Those guys have been doing interesting things, and I fear we'll never get to hear any of it.

If Mick will agree to sing those songs -- maybe tighten up their melodies -- and call them the Rolling Stones, then that's what I want the next album to be.
01-09-04 05:03 PM
Joey " I'll take anything they record, as long as it's heartfelt and sincere. A solid blues-inspiredey rock album, laced with a few heartmelting ballads and a peppering of exotic sounds... Classic Stone stuff is always a treat. A little experimentation like .............."

Amen !!!!! I will buy whatever these guys record .

J.
01-09-04 09:45 PM
Steel Wheels Blondie Chaplin is boring.

The next album will be another mix of Mick and Keith, along the lines of Voodoo and BTB.
01-09-04 10:20 PM
Some Guy Tatto You was the last really good thing. Nothing at all they have done is even in the same class. Talk is Cheap would have been a truely classic Stones piece. It is really weird when you think about their lack of a really good record since 81, bizarre to say the least. Kinda like your team won the Super Bowl in 81 and everyone loved them and have not returned since. I want a new album that I love that is a hit. A return to glory!! A classic, something that I play a lot. Rock and Blues. A lot of airplay, something to be proud of! The shit I have been waiting for since Tattoo You.
01-15-04 12:46 PM
macawber some guy wrote-"tattoo you was the last really good thing"

just on a skill level-the playing,the lyrics, energy-
the records since 81 range from bad to horrible.
everyone on the planet knows the stones can't make a good record anymore except the hardcore fans.
i'm as guilty as anyone else, i buy anything the day they release it but as for another great one,not gonna happen.

sad thing is that the talents still there,just too many things working against them.
01-15-04 09:29 PM
Fiji Joe Just get it as close to Dirty Work as you can
01-16-04 11:02 AM
stonedatbirth666 Mick, Keith, Ron, and Charlie locked in a basement for a week, let the tape roll and you got a masterpiece!
01-16-04 11:03 AM
glencar You got a massacre. Ronnie would be first to get killed.
01-16-04 11:08 AM
egon an album full with "don't stop" spin offs.
now that would be a treat.
01-16-04 03:11 PM
Zeeta OK I want stuff like Honest I Do from Stripped Companion.

They CAN be passionate if they want and Keith CAN play mean lead but just need to be in correct environment.

Back stage warm ups!

No production just as it is bluesy shit!

This is realistic ain't it?
01-16-04 08:46 PM
Some Guy What ever you do, don't go out like this.

BEST VIEWED HIGH