ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Madison Square Garden, NYC - January 18, 2006
© Jaxx
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2 May Quit Touring (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 16th, 2006 11:42 AM
deuce U2 May Quit Touring
by Tim Cashmere
January 16 2006

At a recent press conference, U2 guitarist The Edge has told journalists that U2 may stop touring after the current Vertigo world tour winds down.

Mr. Edge doesn’t believe the band can top the current tour, which he believes to be their best yet. While previous U2 tours Popmart and Zoo TV have been two of the biggest and most extravagant tours in history, the last two (Elevation and the current Vertigo tours) are much smaller, though with state of the art special effects.

“Bono has taken it to another level. I don't agree with everything, but I love that it's like a new paradigm, a different equation altogether." The Edge said.

This is another hint at the growing disdain the “other guys” in U2 are feeling for Bono’s political aspirations. Recently it was revealed that drummer Larry Mullen Jr. times Bono’s speeches with a stopwatch to stop him rambling on for too long.

Could the future of U2 lie in the balance? We’ll have to wait and see.

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2006/jan06/20060116_u2.html
January 16th, 2006 11:44 AM
Jumping Jack Promises, promises!
January 16th, 2006 11:45 AM
GimmeExile Interesting...I read that U2's rumored return to the U.S. this summer to play stadiums has been cancelled.
January 16th, 2006 11:50 AM
voodoopug
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Interesting...I read that U2's rumored return to the U.S. this summer to play stadiums has been cancelled.

This is great news! Made my monday!
January 16th, 2006 11:51 AM
Jumacfly JB, Puggie: Champagne!!
January 16th, 2006 11:52 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
JB, Puggie: Champagne!!

its party time in pugville tonite!
January 16th, 2006 11:56 AM
chevysales
quote:
deuce wrote:
U2 May Quit Touring
by Tim Cashmere
January 16 2006

At a recent press conference, U2 guitarist The Edge has told journalists that U2 may stop touring after the current Vertigo world tour winds down.

Mr. Edge doesn’t believe the band can top the current tour, which he believes to be their best yet. While previous U2 tours Popmart and Zoo TV have been two of the biggest and most extravagant tours in history, the last two (Elevation and the current Vertigo tours) are much smaller, though with state of the art special effects.

“Bono has taken it to another level. I don't agree with everything, but I love that it's like a new paradigm, a different equation altogether." The Edge said.

This is another hint at the growing disdain the “other guys” in U2 are feeling for Bono’s political aspirations. Recently it was revealed that drummer Larry Mullen Jr. times Bono’s speeches with a stopwatch to stop him rambling on for too long.

good ridance... not enough jam in their shows for my taste... not a "get up and dance" show "like the stones put on" qouting my 18 year old daughter.
January 16th, 2006 11:57 AM
chevysales
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

its party time in pugville tonite!

funny stuff
January 16th, 2006 11:59 AM
voodoopug
quote:
chevysales wrote:

good ridance... not enough jam in their shows for my taste... not a "get up and dance" show "like the stones put on" qouting my 18 year old daughter.

your daughter is very wise!
January 16th, 2006 12:09 PM
speedfreakjive I wouldn't be too jubilant about this report; it may mean an Edge solo album and tour (he can sing very well)
January 16th, 2006 12:18 PM
Dan Nah, there will be more tours. Its just road fatigue talking. Also, planting this seed in the public's mind will bring about a "this could be the last time" sense of urgency for future tours to help slow the inevitible declining ticket sales.
January 16th, 2006 12:21 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Dan wrote:
Nah, there will be more tours. Its just road fatigue talking. Also, planting this seed in the public's mind will bring about a "this could be the last time" sense of urgency for future tours to help slow the inevitible declining ticket sales.

100% agree.The Edge is a teaser!
January 16th, 2006 12:25 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

100% agree.The Edge is a teaser!

The Edge is a Pizza!
No shit, at Pizza Hut in UK, there is a pizza called "the edge".
January 16th, 2006 12:25 PM
gimmekeef Hold on guys....this smells of a Cohl move...Rumours of never touring again..followed by a stadium summer extravanza?.....keep the corks in...exluding the stadium thing there is no chance U2 is gonna stop touring as Bono would lose his world stage..and the other 3 I'm sure are liking the cash!!!!
January 16th, 2006 12:26 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

The Edge is a Pizza!
No shit, at Pizza Hut in UK, there is a pizza called "the edge".

really??
send it to me !!
January 16th, 2006 12:29 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

really??
send it to me !!

You got it!

http://www.pizzahut.co.uk/menu/dine_in/the_edge.asp
January 16th, 2006 12:32 PM
speedfreakjive
January 16th, 2006 12:57 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
deuce wrote:
Mr. Edge

Maybe that's what he calls himself in his driver's licence. Like el Santo.
January 16th, 2006 08:33 PM
Soldatti Another marketing strategy, I doubt that they will retire soon.
January 16th, 2006 10:38 PM
baxlap Bono's insufferable. Hopefully, he'll go away.
January 16th, 2006 11:53 PM
rickonly I dont mean do be a dick.... but what else would do? they will play till they die
January 17th, 2006 12:24 AM
Dan
quote:
baxlap wrote:
Bono's insufferable. Hopefully, he'll go away.

First post and its coming true. Voodoopug's worst fears are coming true.
January 17th, 2006 04:15 AM
UGot2Rollme up until Vertigo, I couldn't get enough of U2, and they are probably still a great live band - when they're playing the songs. However, I would prefer if Bono let the music do the talking and keep the politics off the stage. Sounds like the other members of the band feel the same way.
January 17th, 2006 11:19 AM
Lethargy I don't know how those other guys have lasted as long as they have with the single most delusionally narcissistic egomaniac in the history of music (and that includes Jagger and Roger Waters).
January 17th, 2006 01:45 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
I don't know how those other guys have lasted as long as they have with the single most delusionally narcissistic egomaniac in the history of music (and that includes Jagger and Roger Waters).

you are a very wise poster!
January 17th, 2006 01:57 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
I don't know how those other guys have lasted as long as they have with the single most delusionally narcissistic egomaniac in the history of music (and that includes Jagger and Roger Waters).

great post!

worst part is that at least Jagger & Waters have talent on their side as a worthwhile reason for their enormous egos.

whats Bono got going for him? ZILCH! He has no talent. He's just a bloated bore.

January 17th, 2006 08:39 PM
speedfreakjive Interesting comments. See, for me (a u2 fan), I can't see the validity in a comment like;
"Bono has no talent"
Since I dig most of his lyrics and melodies.
However, I would like to add that this recent tour and album are a real let-down. The Elevation tour involved less ranting by Bono. In fact it was minimal. I'm of the view that the ranting became exacerbated because of the "nebulous" (as Keef puts it) Live 8 debacle. This was an exercise in ego-administration for Bono, Geldof & McCartney. I find it interesting that Mick wanted to do it, I could never picture Mick and Keith onstage at a charity gig of Live 8's size; I don't think it fits with the bands image.

Also, I'd like to add, I think one of u2's problem is the fact they don't usually have a "cool" image; the only phase i think they've been cool in, is ZOO TV/Achtung Baby.

u2's fans are so often suckers though, ready to swallow Bono, and the rest.

[Edited by speedfreakjive]
January 17th, 2006 08:55 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
deuce wrote:
U2 May Quit Touring
by Tim Cashmere
January 16 2006

.....It's because this current Pope is too nice despite what certain ethnic groups would have you believe.
The Redrobes have a nice little dram by his bedside table, Bono becomes Pope Bono The first and last, The Pope of the apocalypse. Can't do both can he?
January 17th, 2006 09:08 PM
corgi37 Why do they call him Mr. Edge. Isnt his surname Evans? I have long thought that Mullins runs that band behind the scenes. Clayton is just along for the ride, the drugs and the money.

They'll be touring long after the Stones after the Stones are dead and buried, alas.

And, they'll be charging absolute top dollar for tickets, and their fans will whine, and some up and coming band will challenge them for all their status.

But, its all been done before.
January 17th, 2006 09:15 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Why do they call him Mr. Edge. Isnt his surname Evans? I have long thought that Mullins runs that band behind the scenes. Clayton is just along for the ride, the drugs and the money.

They'll be touring long after the Stones after the Stones are dead and buried, alas.

And, they'll be charging absolute top dollar for tickets, and their fans will whine, and some up and coming band will challenge them for all their status.

But, its all been done before.

Indeed, I'm just interested to see who that up and coming band will be............ I want their signatures now................
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)