ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

IORR

The Best Rock and Roll Fanzine - The Best Rolling Stones Fanzine
Currently the website of the month by the RS Official Website
Congratulations Bjørnulf... Well Done!!!!

Click here and subscribe now!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MSG Jan 18. 2003 - The Guitars Return to archive
01-19-03 04:15 AM
no_cole_porter Madison Square Garden
January 18, 2003

Keith Richards

1. A Gibson ES-355, Ebony Finish, Gold Hardware with Bigbsy: Let It Bleed, Gimme Shelter, IORR, When The Whip Comes Down And Sympathy For The Devil

2. A Gibson ES-355, Cherry Red Finish, Gold Hardware with Bigsby: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

3. A 1950's Fender Telecaster, Butterscotch Blonde Finish, Open Coil Black Humbucker, 5 String with Capo on the 4th Fret: Street Fighting Man

4. Malcolm, A 1950's Butterscotch Blonde Fender Telecaster, Gibson PAF Humbucker and no Capo: Start Me Up, If You Can't Rock Me, You Got Me Rocking, Can't You Hear Me Knocking. A Capo was added on the 4th Fret for Jumping Jack Flash

5. A 1950's Fender Telecaster, Light Blonde Finish, Open Coil Black Humbucker, 5 String with Capo On 2nd Fret: Don't Stop

6. A Anderson Cobra Telecaster, Transparent Black Finish, 2 Open Coil Black Humbuckers: Monkey Man

7. A 1957 Fender Stratocaster, Mary Kaye finish with Gold Hardware: Thru And Thru

8. Dice, A 1960 Gibson Les Paul Junior, TV Yellow Finish with 1 P-90 Pickup, Capo on the 7th Fret: Midnight Rambler

9. Micawber, A 1958 Fender Telecaster, Butterscotch Blonde Finish, Brass Bridge: Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar

10. A 1967 Fender Telecaster, Sunburst Finish, Open Coil Black Humbucker, Capoed at 2nd Fret for Happy, Capoed at the 4th For Tumbling Dice

11. A 1950's Martin 0-18, Natural Finish, Acoustic Guitar: Angie

Ronnie Wood

1. A Danelectro Electric Sitar, Sunburst Finish: Street Fighting Man, Jumping Jack Flash

2. A 1955 Fender Stratocaster, 2 Tone Sunburst Finish: Start Me Up, If You Can't Rock Me, Gimme Shelter, Can't You Hear Me Knockin', Sympathy For The Devil

3. A 1956 Fender Stratocaster, 3 Tone Sunburst Finish, Camera Attatched, Don't Stop, Thru And Thru

4. A Black Zemaitis Metal Front Guitar, 3 Humbucker Pickups: Monkey Man, Let It Bleed, You Got Me Rocking

5. ESP Ronnie Wood Signature Telecaster, Black Finish, Open Coil Humbucker: Honky Tonk Women

6. A 1950's Gibson J-200, Double Pickguard, Natural Finish, Acoustic Guitar: Angie

7. A Yellow Pearl Lap Steel: Happy

8. A 1950's Gibson Firebird V, 2 Mini Humbucker Pickups With Chrome Tremolo, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

9. A 1950's Fender Stratocaster, 3 Tone Sunburst Finish: IORR, When The Whip Comes Down, Brown Sugar

Mick Jagger

1. A 1952 Reissue Fender Telecaster, Butterscotch Blonde Finish, Capoed at 2nd Fret: Don't Stop

2. A Gibson Hummingbird, Natural Finish: Let It Bleed

3. A Late 1990's Fender Stratocaster, Black Finish with Rosewood Neck, Stickers covering the body: When The Whip Comes Down

So there ya have it folks. Ronnie also had a Red Ronnie Wood Signature ESP Telecaster in the waiting. He was also using that weird Yellow Pearl Les Paul body type guitar. It's either a weird Gretsch or maybe another ESP.

01-19-03 04:55 AM
beer Hey thanks No Cole Porter!

2nd fret for "Happy"? I fucked around with the capo tryin to figure some of this stuff out for awhile.

Thanks again.
01-19-03 11:49 AM
FPM C10 Hey, thanks, ncp - except the yellow sparkly one Woody played in Midnight Rambler was the one I'm really wondering about. I thought it might be an Airline or a Supro.

What kind of lap steel was it? Yellow pearl? Is that a description or a brand name?

I think I saw Woody's Dan Armstrong standing by too.

Great buncha guitars!
01-19-03 12:54 PM
Highwire Rob Excellent no_cole_porter! I'm keeping a copy of your technical breakdown in my notebook.

beer, on the new keithrichards.com website Keith answers a fan question specifically about the capo on Happy.

Keith says to put it on the fourth fret.

What do you guys make of it--does it change through different versions?

--Rob.
01-19-03 12:57 PM
full moon Cool info...
01-19-03 04:55 PM
no_cole_porter Ok Kids. There's been some very interesting things this tour.

Keith's changed guitars for songs again. Usually Malcolm is always capoed at the 4th, The sunburst Tele is usually capoed at the 4th as well.

I'm not sure if Keith's ever used a Hollowbodied Gibson on songs like Sympathy or Satisfaction, But it was nice to hear a Gibson again.

Happy is usually capoed at 4th fret. But Keith played it on 2nd fret during the 1988 Talk Is Cheap tour. So if it's on 4th it's B, but if it's on 3nd it becomes A, like on Don't Stop. But very interesting though.

Pearl is the description of the finish on Ronnie's lap steel. I'm not really sure about the type.

Keith's number 3 Telecaster may have been the one used during Brown Sugar during the Steel Wheels tour and can be seen during the Imax film Live At The Max.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST