ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, Poland - 13 April 1967 First Show
© Marek Langda with special thanks to Slawomir B!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 999 appreciation thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12th January 2007 05:31 AM
Zack
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's filler.

How the hell can the first track on an album be filler?
12th January 2007 08:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
absolute Killer song!

dare I say, keith's best track in the last 20 yrs

cheeba cheeba

That honour IMO belongs to the absolute gem that is 'Hate It When You Leave'. He hasnt reached those heights since (arguably he did with Almost Hear You Sigh, but only with Mick's help)

'999' is a beezer, though. A riff so violent it tears your head off, shits down your throat and then kicks your bollocks into your stomach for good measure.

12th January 2007 08:22 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zack wrote:

How the hell can the first track on an album be filler?

When its down to bad sequencing!
12th January 2007 08:27 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

'999' is a beezer, though. A riff so violent it tears your head off, shits down your throat and then kicks your bollocks into your stomach for good measure.

WOW!!! You really feel strongly about this, Gazza!!..The visualization of your statement actually causes one to experience pain.

Would gut-wrentching be a good term?

999 is a good song...but listening to it does not cause me that much discomfort
12th January 2007 04:23 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
what exactly is tihs supposed to mean or at least imply??

the menace is in the mystery

its about dealers/dealin... buyin... squeelin... scoring...

its all "junkie/dealers speak" - reads like its off the pages of Scarface

"makin it... takin it"

"I cant shake it off my back - damn monkey!"

"How much?"

"20 grand and its pitiful!"

"you better hack it baby"

"nickles and dimes"

"thats the best pair of lips I've kissed all night
How much? well give it to me!"

"I'll pay you later - I got a pocket calculator"

12th January 2007 04:44 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:

FUCK YEAH!!!!!

You nailed it my man! Dare I say... one of the meanest, nastiest tunes since the glory days of shelter and knockin riffs

Right on!!!
thank you Gazza!

12th January 2007 04:47 PM
glencar I think 7 or 8 from his first solo work knock socks off this 999 song. Heck, even Whip It Up is better!
12th January 2007 04:48 PM
Joey

One after 999 ?!

12th January 2007 04:50 PM
glencar Don't go there!
12th January 2007 04:56 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Joey wrote:

One after 999 ?!

are you out of your fucking head man??!?

999 pistol whips the piss out of the panzy-ass Beatle tune. Stomps on it and destroys it. Levels the crap out of it like the onslaught in the beach bombing scene in Apocolypse Now!

999 is a mighty beast. A musical tour-de-force. A rock-n-roll blitzkreig! Crank it up and get the fuck out of the way
12th January 2007 04:58 PM
glencar Well, I must agree that 999 is better than any Rutles tune. Of that, there can be no doubt. Quite frankly, Joey, I'm worried about you.
12th January 2007 05:07 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well, I must agree that 999 is better than any Rutles tune. Of that, there can be no doubt. Quite frankly, Joey, I'm worried about you.

Blue ............................

STILL no Jones Beach CD/DVD Combo

Developing ..........................

Shiver ..................
13th January 2007 01:52 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
999 is far better than anything on ABB.
and it's not even one of the five best songs on Main Offender...

HA HA

soooo true...evidence of back when Keith still remembered how to rock

When I first came here I had lyrics from 999 in my sig

"Yea, my time exploded, space blew up
Need something in my dixie cup"

Main Offender fuckin rules!
13th January 2007 03:40 PM
100 Years Ago If you took the best of MO & WS, you'd have an album that would knock the balls off VL, and let's not even mention the VL outtakes themselves. The Stones could've made VL into one helluva an album in 94. Instead we get sharks will cry, suck on the testicle and dumfucks together.

Imagine what could've been and cry...alot

999 should've been a Stones song, is MORE a Stones song than anything they've recorded in two decades. Nice lyrics too, guess was Keith was jonesin' for a little brown sugah when he scribbled those. 999 is the equivalent of 911 in U.S.
13th January 2007 04:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
100 Years Ago wrote:
999 should've been a Stones song, is MORE a Stones song than anything they've recorded in two decades. Nice lyrics too, guess was Keith was jonesin' for a little brown sugah when he scribbled those. 999 is the equivalent of 911 in U.S.

Thing is, as ballsy as that song is - I just cant imagine a) Mick singing it and b) the Stones doing a version that would sound better

14th January 2007 04:05 PM
100 Years Ago
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thing is, as ballsy as that song is - I just cant imagine a) Mick singing it and b) the Stones doing a version that would sound better

good points...especially considering Don Was would've been producing it, but it would've been nice to hear charlie drumming on it. vocally maybe with mick and keith could've shared the mic sorta like they did on the "I Need You" outtake.
14th January 2007 06:39 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LMAO. I don't know what a "beezer" is (and frankly, I'm afraid to ask), but the rest of that description is fuckin' priceless.

14th January 2007 07:13 PM
Honky Tonk Man 999 is an absolute monster of a riff, but goes on too long and lead's nowhere. The gems on Talk Is Cheap are Hate It When You Leave and Running Too Deep.
14th January 2007 07:28 PM
lotsajizz 999 kicks ass
14th January 2007 07:51 PM
mojoman one after 909?
14th January 2007 08:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

LMAO. I don't know what a "beezer" is (and frankly, I'm afraid to ask), but the rest of that description is fuckin' priceless.

It means its a "beaut" or a "gem". Nothing to be afraid of,, dear...
15th January 2007 11:25 AM
GotToRollMe Rocks Off - expanding my vocabulary daily!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)