ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, Poland - 13 April 1967 First Show
© Marek Langda with special thanks to Slawomir B!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: an Internet Explorer 7 heads up Return to archive
11th January 2007 08:02 AM
chevysales for those of us using ie7 (and i am told some versions of ie6) when you get an email with a jpeg or try to save a pic from a secure site by rite clicking the only option is bmp (bitmap) which is larger than jpeg (yes one can get bmp and covert but there is a loss in quality).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260650

ms has a workaround where you got into internet explorer settings and check the choice on advanced tab "click to clear the Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box".

don't do above as your ie cache will now hold stuff from pages you don't want saved... ie cc purchase etc.

instead just go into temp files folder for ie6 or 7 and copy the jpg file.

this only happens on secure pages btw...
11th January 2007 02:08 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
chevysales wrote:
using ie7

Don't swear. Use Firefox.
11th January 2007 02:17 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff f i r e f o x
that's the word
11th January 2007 02:28 PM
chevysales no way microsoft all the way!!!!!!!!1
11th January 2007 03:45 PM
Angiegirl
11th January 2007 04:04 PM
oldkr i use firefox and thunderbird drop microsoft, FF is quicker, more secure and more stable

OLDKR
11th January 2007 04:12 PM
Angiegirl Safer, faster, better
11th January 2007 04:13 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Yes... Firefox is my browser...much quicker than internet explorer
11th January 2007 04:19 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Safer, faster, better

agreed!
11th January 2007 05:20 PM
Angiegirl Kill Bill's Browser.
12th January 2007 04:02 AM
FotiniD Problem with sfw solved and Firefox seems to be rocking!
[Edited by FotiniD]
12th January 2007 06:38 AM
Trey Krimsin I had downloaded IE7 and the damn browser kept freezing up at the most inconvenient times. I downloaded Firefox and that works so much better. No freeze-ups, keeps the pop-ups away (for the most part), and less hassle.
12th January 2007 08:23 AM
chevysales
quote:
oldkr wrote:
i use firefox and thunderbird drop microsoft, FF is quicker, more secure and more stable

OLDKR

can't comment on any of that other than stability... never had a problem with that.

then again i run a mean, clean, fighting machine with clean installs and when removing anything also removing all references to it manually thru regedit.

i do clean install semi-annually and have it down to a 2 hour or less science and evrything is up and running like a corvette (chevy reference ).

choices... thats what makes the world go round.

as for security never ever had a virus or a trojan or a worm enough can't be said for safe computing which my wife and kids also learned as they use same computer too... firewalled and behind a router!

i go back to ms stuff as far as windows 3.1... before that i was apple from 1998 thru late 1992.

as i stated i have no bitch with ms.
but that said and i am not directing this at any of the above posters but most issues i see from reading technet and many support and security forums (i do our IT at our dealership amoung many other things) seem to be user errors on machines that are so bogged down with stuff they choke.

i build my own boxes but with my kids dells first thing i do is reformat and install a fresh copy of OS NOT using a rescue disc which puts it back to same state it was when you first turn it on... big source of issues to begin with them to rid them of all excess junk... and i recommend that to others too.

clean install are the only way to fly

[Edited by chevysales]
12th January 2007 04:35 PM
Angiegirl Putting aside everything you said above (as it's as good as irrelevant to the point why it's a bad browser), IE isn't standards-compliant. Period. Ergo, it's a shitty browser, as browsers at their core are developed for one thing and one thing only: displaying web content, supporting the internationally agreed upon standards.

Building this web content should be done according to the international webstandards. But when webdevelopers do that like they should, displaying their stuff in IE is bad*. It messes code up and it's webdesigners', like I am, worst nightmare to get a site looking like it's intended to in IE. Almost impossible without compromising the webstandards and building exception after exception into CSS.

*NB: IE4/IE5/IE6 are ten times worse in lack of webstandards support than IE7, it has to be said.
However: 1) It took M$ only like half a decade to get it better (not even right), as IE6 was released in 2001!!!
2) Firefox and other Gecko browsers and also Opera, Safari etc have been able to do it right for years and years...

I do use M$ software, Windows, DirectX. But I use Open Office instead of Word/Office (it's so much better than Office actually, and open source as well, big plus) and Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Outlook. I don't use Messenger nor Media Player, there are better and free alternatives out there. I hope to make enough money one day so I can ditch the Windows pc as well and concentrate on Mac OS X.
12th January 2007 05:11 PM
chevysales
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Putting aside everything you said above (as it's as good as irrelevant to the point why it's a bad browser), IE isn't standards-compliant. Period. Ergo, it's a shitty browser, as browsers at their core are developed for one thing and one thing only: displaying web content, supporting the internationally agreed upon standards.

Building this web content should be done according to the international webstandards. But when webdevelopers do that like they should, displaying their stuff in IE is bad*. It messes code up and it's webdesigners', like I am, worst nightmare to get a site looking like it's intended to in IE. Almost impossible without compromising the webstandards and building exception after exception into CSS.

*NB: IE4/IE5/IE6 are ten times worse in lack of webstandards support than IE7, it has to be said.
However: 1) It took M$ only like half a decade to get it better (not even right), as IE6 was released in 2001!!!
2) Firefox and other Gecko browsers and also Opera, Safari etc have been able to do it right for years and years...

I do use M$ software, Windows, DirectX. But I use Open Office instead of Word/Office (it's so much better than Office actually, and open source as well, big plus) and Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Outlook. I don't use Messenger nor Media Player, there are better and free alternatives out there. I hope to make enough money one day so I can ditch the Windows pc as well and concentrate on Mac OS X.

sorry angie as unfortunetly the "web standards" are standard for whom? standards that have never fully been agreed too means nothing... it's a start but where exactly has it gone...

that hasn't actually been met with the following many had hoped for and probably is years away from ever happenning if at all.

funny you mention web designers as the ones i know who either handcode,use homesite (even after the buyout), dreamweaver, topstyle or any of the other top ones tell me ie7 has been a blessing with regards to that.

some people just don't like ms and never will and i say great thats why there are choices... if you believe open office and other apps of that sort are better thats ok...

i disagree and frankly we would see there use in a much larger enterprise market if they were... we don't and that speaks volumes.

a mac now theres progress... for graphic design and photography nothing beats it... innovative but again you won't see that breaking down any barriers for a larger share of the pie in this decade.

people can bash ms (the strongest anti ms sentiment seems to come from europe) and bill gates all they want but truth be told if it wasn't for him and steve jobs amoung others we would all be on ibm machines still in dos 1.1.
not sure of you go back that far.

getting back to the point... it's not a bad browser (opera and safari? until recently i wouldn't even use them in the same sentence as "browser") but if you think so thats your choice... personally i think netscape and all the off shoots (and thats what firefox/mozilla is) are poor implimentations of what some think a browser should be other than tabbed browsing but hey they are open source and free so some will gravitate towards them. along with the esoteric factor.

[Edited by chevysales]
13th January 2007 08:48 AM
cabledogg2 Is firefox free to download? If so could someone post a link?.............Thanks.......cabledogg2
13th January 2007 11:58 AM
Schooner333 http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

can't believe you would need a link to find this, but here you go.

13th January 2007 03:50 PM
cabledogg2 Thanks schooner i guess that is pretty lazy of me. One question i have though. Are there any known glitches with existing software once you change fron IE ot firefox (i would hate to change and have a problem with different software programs i already have installed on my pc. Thanks again..........cabledogg2
14th January 2007 03:30 AM
egon you can install firefox, but still leave IE on your pc.
and it won't cause trouble with other programs.

personally i don't see a very big difference between the 2...
14th January 2007 08:07 AM
Schooner333
quote:
you can install firefox, but still leave IE on your pc.
and it won't cause trouble with other programs.

This is true, you should have no problems at all with any other programs, and yes you can still leave IE on your pc (and use it any time), in fact MS has it embedded so deeply in Windows now that you can't uninstall it.

Firefox has many great addons to check out, here are a few that I like:

Add Bookmark Here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/11/

Cooliris Previews: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2207/

Foxytunes: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/219/

IE Tab: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

IE View: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/35/

MileWideBack: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/334/

Smiley Xtra: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/375/

Undo Closed Tabs Button: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3082/

VideoDownloader: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/

One tip: when you first install Firefox, it will ask if you would like to import your IE favorites list into Firefox. Go ahead and do this, you will not lose your favorites from IE, but they will be listed as Bookmarks in Firefox!
[Edited by Schooner333]
14th January 2007 08:14 AM
chevysales
quote:
Schooner333 wrote:

This is true, you should have no problems at all with any other programs, and yes you can still leave IE on your pc (and use it any time), in fact MS has it embedded so deeply in Windows now that you can't uninstall it.

yes you can leave ie on your pc and yes you can also uninstall it if you like... a little research will show you the way.
14th January 2007 08:48 AM
Schooner333
quote:
a little research will show you the way

Yes I know it can be done, just didn't want to get into it and confuse people even more, but you are correct!
14th January 2007 09:44 AM
chevysales
quote:
Schooner333 wrote:

Yes I know it can be done, just didn't want to get into it and confuse people even more, but you are correct!

sorry if it came across wrong i wasn't trying to slag you.

and your 100% correct about confusing anyone.

while i have stated i am a fan of ms i also know their shortcomings and there are plenty.

but rite now ie7 is as secure as any browser out there with work arounds for many older ssl 1 and 2 sites... ssl 3 is pretty damn secure.

also having worked on beta stuff with ms going back to w/98 second edition shut down issue i am real impressed with the latest version of office (full enterprise edition) not the stripped down ones supplied by dell and other oems. such a deep program and business contacts manager add on for outlook makes my life easier.

looking to build another box but waiting on second generation hardware upgrades that will come out after Vista is rolled out and in use by many photoshop CS3 (beta) absolutely flies on Vista and i use apps like that a lot.

[Edited by chevysales]
14th January 2007 10:34 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Don't swear. Use Firefox.

You're right, princess
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)