ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, Poland - 13 April 1967 First Show
© Marek Langda with special thanks to Slawomir B!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Knights of Prosperity tonight Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
3rd January 2007 10:09 AM
Bitch First episode airs tonight, as a reminder to all the MICK fans here. 9 PM on ABC. To those who watch it, lets discuss it tomorrow, it should be interesting to see the reactions and the predictions of the show's fate.
3rd January 2007 10:29 AM
Gazza thanks to ablett on IORR for posting this preview. Looks pretty funny!

TELEVISION REVIEW

In plot to rob Mick, 'Knights' shows flashes of brilliance

By Matthew Gilbert, Globe Staff | January 3, 2007

The first episode of "The Knights of Prosperity" is a gas, gas, gas, as guest star Mick Jagger parodies his wealth with a mock E! channel special about his deluxe Manhattan crib. Oozing nouveau-riche satisfaction, Mick shows us the indoor pool for his dogs, a "Sticky Fingers" statue that spits butter onto popcorn, and the tub in which our beloved, be-lipped icon takes his yogurt baths. "Good for the skin!" he gushes. "Fantastic!"
Touring his palatial hat room, he shares his styling wisdom like a sixth Fab Fiver: "You're never alone with a hat," he advises.

Everything else in "The Knights of Prosperity," about blue-collar workers plotting to rob Mick's apartment, ought to pale next to this material. But remarkably, it doesn't, and the rest of the sitcom, which premieres tonight at 9 on Ch annel 5, works like a charm.

By next week's episode, it's clear that ABC might finally have a shot at a comedy hit that's more imaginative than "According to Jim." With scruffy Donal Logue as janitor Eugene Gurkin leading his five bumbling cohorts into the elaborate burglary, "Knights" has more than enough texture and wit to survive Mick. (Jagger has not yet committed to any more appearances on the series.)

Some sitcoms ignore money -- "Friends" and "Seinfeld," for example, weren't self-conscious about their own class issues. But like "My Name Is Earl," with which it has much in common, "Knights" jumps right into America's socioeconomic divide for its drive and humor. Mick is the show's flaunting symbol of the Haves, while Eugene is the self-appointed king of the Have Nots. Watching the E! special after a day of plunging toilets, Eugene hatches his plot to steal enough from Jagger to finance a bar and get out of his rut. While Earl on "My Name Is Earl" had his "Aha!" moment watching Carson Daly talk about karma, Eugene is struck by the excess of E!.

He enlists a few struggling friends in his plan, and they agree to become Robin Hood and his Merry Band, sort of. "We're stealing from the rich to give to the poor: Us," Eugene tells them.

The Knights of Prosperity, as Eugene calls them, are planning a crime, of course; but the show gets us to root for them as lovable outsider-heroes. Aware that theft is probably their best chance at the American Dream, the Knights are just being practical and proactive.

In this context of affection for its inept underdogs, creators Rob Burnett and Jon Beckerman (the team also created "Ed") poke much politically incorrect fun at them. Gourishankar (Maz Jobrani), an Indian cab driver, and Esperanza (Sofia Vergara), a Latina waitress, are sitcom parodies of their ethnicity, particularly as the actors intensify their accents for laughs. Chubby black security guard Rockefeller Butts (Kevin Michael Richardson) is like a big-eating, smooth-loving live-action version of Chef from "South Park." And the Knights hold their nighttime meetings at a Jewish supplies warehouse, where they are seen conspiring among menorahs and "Kiss Me I'm a Mensch" T-shirts.

To embrace "Knights," you have to have a taste for the kind of comedy that teases because it loves; the show will probably elicit a complaint or two from humorless cultural organizations.

"Knights" is a single-camera sitcom, so we are not subjected to laugh-track guffaws whenever Rockefeller Butts eats another cookie or a dreidel is spun. The show doesn't laugh at itself, and, as on "Scrubs," some jokes fly by unnoticed the first time around.

Originally, the show was called "Let's Rob Mick Jagger." But the new title has a nice sense of irony, as it gives its klutzy amateurs such a lofty label, and it also has durability. Now, if the show catches on, and I think it will, the Knights will be perfectly free to steal from other rich and famous people
3rd January 2007 10:33 AM
Gazza ah..Sofia Vergara is in it..

NOW it makes sense as to why Mick agreed to take part...
3rd January 2007 10:42 AM
Some Guy Thanks for the reminder.
3rd January 2007 10:51 AM
polytoxic
quote:
Gazza wrote:
ah..Sofia Vergara is in it..

NOW it makes sense as to why Mick agreed to take part...

Rather easy on the eyes, isn't she?

3rd January 2007 11:23 AM
Gazza indeed....she has been one of my 'draft picks' for a couple of years now....

never seen her acting, it has to be said...but who fuckin cares?
[Edited by Gazza]
3rd January 2007 02:53 PM
glencar I shall not be home tonight when it airs but I'll be taping this doozy on 2 recorders! Not to be missed. I started reading the review that Gazza posted & then stopped because I don't want all the jokes to be ruined. I'm expecting big things!
3rd January 2007 03:21 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

Rather easy on the eyes, isn't she?

3rd January 2007 05:52 PM
Some Guy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I shall not be home tonight when it airs but I'll be taping this doozy on 2 recorders! Not to be missed. I started reading the review that Gazza posted & then stopped because I don't want all the jokes to be ruined. I'm expecting big things!

it's gonna be a big night, tater.
3rd January 2007 05:53 PM
glencar Don't ever, ever, ever fucking call me tater. Gabeesh?
3rd January 2007 05:57 PM
Some Guy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Don't ever, ever, ever fucking call me tater. Gabeesh?

Gabeesh.
3rd January 2007 06:39 PM
Joey
quote:
Bitch wrote:
First episode airs tonight, as a reminder to all the MICK fans here. 9 PM on ABC. To those who watch it, lets discuss it tomorrow, it should be interesting to see the reactions and the predictions of the show's fate.

Thanks Bitch !!!!!!!!!
3rd January 2007 06:42 PM
Dan lame
3rd January 2007 06:42 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Thanks Bitch !!!!!!!!!

it's gonna be a big night, tater.
3rd January 2007 06:51 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

...Touring his palatial hat room, he shares his styling wisdom like a sixth Fab Fiver: "You're never alone with a hat," he advises.

That right there is reason enough to watch.
3rd January 2007 08:20 PM
The Archives
quote:
Bitch wrote:
First episode airs tonight, as a reminder to all the MICK fans here. 9 PM on ABC. To those who watch it, lets discuss it tomorrow, it should be interesting to see the reactions and the predictions of the show's fate.

To be clear, it's on at 9 eastern time zone.

3rd January 2007 08:29 PM
PartyDoll MEG OK..East-coasters..Back here with your reviews at 9:30 PM sharp!!!

(Glenny... you are excused as you are working!)
3rd January 2007 09:31 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:
Don't ever, ever, ever fucking call me tater. Gabeesh?

Tater it is. Capisce?
3rd January 2007 09:33 PM
iluvmickjagger07 i loved it!
it's funny and mick jagger is in it. cant get any better.
haha mick's dog is named charlie.
mick is such a cutie
3rd January 2007 09:39 PM
PartyDoll MEG Yep..Mick was great!

Writing was pretty clever. Stupid premise, but it made me laugh anyway..

I'll tune in again next week....
3rd January 2007 09:39 PM
fireontheplatter i thought is was fun...and i look forward to next wednesday...
3rd January 2007 09:42 PM
Fiji Joe Were those dogs' names Charlie and Ronnie?
3rd January 2007 09:44 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Were those dogs' names Charlie and Ronnie?

That's what I heard-LOL. Didn't catch the last one's name.
3rd January 2007 09:58 PM
iluvmickjagger07 i heard mick jagger won't be appearing in any more shows. he did wonderful. probably the best acting of micks ive seen. he should do more comedian acting.
3rd January 2007 10:01 PM
LadyJane More Mick.

His self deprecating humor was hilarious.

I'll tune in again.

These loons remind me of a bunch of US!!!!!!!

LJ.
3rd January 2007 10:03 PM
oldkr it was shit mick looked all pasty and wrinkled he was a little too camp the whole show sucked mick included that red stretch tee was a huge mistake... humiliated

OLDKR
3rd January 2007 10:07 PM
pdog Still to early to count all the votes, west coast will have the final say in this!
3rd January 2007 10:13 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
oldkr wrote:
it was shit mick looked all pasty and wrinkled he was a little too camp the whole show sucked mick included that red stretch tee was a huge mistake... humiliated

OLDKR

Ah come on Keith....he was suppose to be camp and that ugly England soccer shirt made me laugh.

And lets face it ..he is old, pasty, and wrinkly...but still sexy!!!
3rd January 2007 11:38 PM
glencar
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
OK..East-coasters..Back here with your reviews at 9:30 PM sharp!!!

(Glenny... you are excused as you are working!)

Honey, I wasn't working; I was boozing it up & knocking 'em down!
3rd January 2007 11:40 PM
glencar
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

Tater it is. Capisce?

I hope you & Some Guy know I was joking. Call me what you want but make it snappy!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)