ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian -Sympathy? Or - fuck you? Return to archive
January 14th, 2005 09:35 AM
corgi37 Things are pretty silent lately, so its time for this Aussie to stir the pot.

So, opinions please.

Brian Jones - he got booted, he died, so what?

Should Mick & Keith (and Charlie too for that matter) feel guilty for booting the guy who sort of started the band?

Was Brian too fucked to be a Stone any longer?

Personally, to me, he was done. He loved the money and attention, but got stuck from 66. No way could i imagine Brian on the 72 tour. Or, adjusting to the 70's punk era. To me, if he lived, Brian would have been as fat and useless as Jim Morrison. I mean, no room for sitar in 71. No room for dulcimar in 76.

No, to me, things happen for a reason. The Stones ditched him at exactly the right time. I mean, i am sure he could have got a visa for a tour of U.S., but could he handle more that 1 or 2 shows?

Come on, feel the noise. Add your opinions.

January 14th, 2005 09:39 AM
glencar I'm sure somewhere in their souls, they feel some guilt. But it's clear that Brian was self-destructive & would not have been able to last in the band for another decades, never mind the 3 decades more that they've soldiered on.
[Edited by glencar]
January 14th, 2005 09:42 AM
Madafaka Totally agree, Brian was self-destructive IMO.
January 14th, 2005 09:46 AM
nankerphelge The Brian Jones era of the Stones was a solid foundation. Without that foundation, I don't think the band would have survived as long as it did -- he was a true musician and he managed to pull together a band of equally talented musicians with that love of the blues at the center of their soul.

But at the same time, Brian represented the Stones in their childhood -- Keith drove them into their adulthood and Brian just didn't seem to have it together enough for that. I don't the Stones would have attained what they did with him still in the band.
January 14th, 2005 11:10 AM
Nellcote Brian was gifted, however, as Nanky noted, seemed to have maturity issues. How many times do you find folks you grew up who never got into the next level of life?
January 14th, 2005 12:36 PM
Lavendar I agree with Glencar. Brian brought it on himself. When ya think back, so many have!
January 14th, 2005 01:43 PM
seclusion Brian Jones was brilliant but like so many brilliant people he crashed and burned, but without Brian there wouldn't be the Rolling Stones today. He was way ahead of his time. He was the heart and should of that group in the beginning. I really don't know what happened to Brian only that he was very self-destructive and a very complicated person. He was also physically ill (asthma). I think Mick and Keith and all were very patient with him and I don't think they "kicked" him out of the band. I think Brian gradually gave up and left the band. Where would he be today if he had lived? I don't know... it has been said that he was getting "better", but the photos of him shortly before his death are really bad. He was the ultimate musician and it's very sad that he couldn't handle the lifestyle. Maybe he would've made it solo? in the beginning before he'd met up with Mick & Keith and became a Rolling Stone? They became in instant success almost overnight. Alexis Korner was a turning point in Brian's life. Alexis was very talented and ahead of his time but not famously known. Maybe Brian would've fallen into that context? I DON'T KNOW. I do have a question though. Did Brian shoot dope? Brion Gysin once said: "Brian was the kind of person who would take anything you gave him. Offer him a handful of pills, uppers and downers, acid, whatever,and he'd just swallow them all." In the end I think Keith and Mick gave Brian every chance and let him stay on with the band longer than they probably should've and I think Brian left them, not the other way around. I defintely will see the movie but I don't think it's going to shed any light whatsoever. I'm looking forward to all the "hype" before the movie; the new pictures, magazine articles, etc.
January 14th, 2005 01:45 PM
jb No matter what you think of him, he started the band, so we must alwasy at least acknowledge that.
January 14th, 2005 02:52 PM
voodoopug he was a great fit for that era, and i am grateful to him for starting the band, but Mick and Keith should not feel guilt. In any other business, you cannot feel guilt for someone showing up to work only occasionaly and in no shape to work.

His legacy speaks for itself though....very important musician
January 14th, 2005 07:52 PM
Make It Funky For me, I think Jones falls into the category of the Gomelsky's and Loog-Oldhams... Served a purpose for a while, and was written-off. There are certain requirements and requisites to any exclusive club, and if you're not willing to pay the exhorbitant membership fee or 110% needed to sustain the existence of that club/group, then, you automatically become a liability.

I don't doubt for a second that the Stones acknowledge Brian's initial enthusiasm; and if they did, they'd be fools. But like you said, I doubt Brian could've handled anything past the sixties either. If he had've lived, I suspect he would've been wandering around Richmond with Peter Green...and they'd both be these obese has-been blues purists headlining some blues revival show in Long Beach California each year...with Mick Taylor to drop in.
Then they coudl form their own Fat Boys Blues Band. The pre-req for that: 300lbs!

Cheers.
January 14th, 2005 08:20 PM
Gazza Every one of the above posts makes a lot of sense and I agree with them all.

there must be a blue moon in the sky!!
January 14th, 2005 10:35 PM
LadyJane I'm with you Gazza. Everything I want to say has been said. All I have to add is ENOUGH ALREADY with the conspiracy theories surrounding Brian's death, especially those that involve Mick and/or Keith as a culprit. Let the man REST IN PEACE!

LJ.
January 14th, 2005 11:39 PM
gypsy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm with you Gazza. Everything I want to say has been said. All I have to add is ENOUGH ALREADY with the conspiracy theories surrounding Brian's death, especially those that involve Mick and/or Keith as a culprit. Let the man REST IN PEACE!

LJ.

Word!

P.F. CHANG'S for dinner tonight !!!

Jerskee!™
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood