ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Howe can this happen? Return to archive
January 14th, 2005 07:10 AM
nankerphelge Pentagon reveals rejected chemical weapons
15 January 2005
From New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.
THE Pentagon considered developing a host of non-lethal chemical weapons that would disrupt discipline and morale among enemy troops, newly declassified documents reveal.

Most bizarre among the plans was one for the development of an "aphrodisiac" chemical weapon that would make enemy soldiers sexually irresistible to each other. Provoking widespread homosexual behaviour among troops would cause a "distasteful but completely non-lethal" blow to morale, the proposal says.

Spokesman Edward Hammond says it was not known if the proposed $7.5 million, six-year research plan was ever pursued.

January 14th, 2005 07:28 AM
LadyJane So now we know the real truth of the C10? Chemical weapon test subjects!!! The Pentagon must be thrilled with the resounding success of the aphrodisiac chemical.

LJ.
January 14th, 2005 07:40 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Just another sad example of government doing what government does best.......wasting money.
January 14th, 2005 08:05 AM
nankerphelge Wasting money?

That is one smart idea if ya ask me -- non-lethal, debilitating, and funny as hell. Howe can that be a waste of money?
January 14th, 2005 08:14 AM
FotiniD
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Wasting money?

That is one smart idea if ya ask me -- non-lethal, debilitating, and funny as hell. Howe can that be a waste of money?

Yes, but united we stand, divided we fall
January 14th, 2005 08:31 AM
Fiji Joe Didn't the Germans do that to the French in WWII?
January 14th, 2005 09:17 AM
Joey
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Didn't the Germans do that to the French in WWII?

Fiji .................................

I am seeing the band " Bright Eyes " this evening .

www.Pollstar.com

...are they any good ?!?!

Developing ................................................

J™
January 14th, 2005 09:33 AM
glencar Sure they're good if you like effete, mincing frontmen!
January 14th, 2005 09:47 AM
glencar Headlien at Drudge but no link yet: Naked Jogger Tasered, Arrested In Arkansas...
January 14th, 2005 09:49 AM
jb Must have accidentally been dropped a few years ago in Cleveland?
January 14th, 2005 09:50 AM
glencar I do not compute...
January 14th, 2005 09:56 AM
nankerphelge SAN FRANCISCO — School officials in Palo Alto are reconsidering their use of a popular speaker for an annual career day after he advised middle school students that they could earn a good living as strip dancers.

William Fried (search) told eighth-graders at Jane Lathrop Stanford Middle School (search) that stripping and exotic dancing could be lucrative career moves for girls, offering as much as $250,000 or more per year, depending on their bust size.

"It's sick, but it's true," Fried, president of Foster City's Precision Selling (search), a management consulting firm, told The Associated Press. "The truth of the matter is you can earn a tremendous amount of money as an exotic dancer, if that's your desire."

The school has asked Fried to give his 55-minute presentation, "The Secret of a Happy Life," for the past three years.

A tip sheet he distributes to students includes a list of 140 potential careers and areas of interest they can consider pursuing. Along with professions as accounting and nursing, the list offers such nontraditional suggestions as exotic dancing, stripping and acting as a spiritual medium.

He counsels students to experiment with a variety of interests until they discover their "life's purpose," something they love and excel in. The presentation and handout have been praised by students, school principal Joseph Di Salvo and others said.

Fried's presentation "helped me realize that my career choice should not be influenced by money," one student wrote in a thank-you letter. "It should be influenced by what we like and are good at."

But on Tuesday, some students asked Fried to expand on why he included "exotic dancing" on the list.

Fried spent about a minute answering questions, defining strippers and exotic dancers synonymously. He told students, "For every two inches up there, you should get another $50,000 on your salary," student Jason Garcia, 14, said.

"A couple of students egged him and he took it hook, line and sinker," said Di Salvo, who also said the students took advantage of a substitute teacher overseeing the session.

Di Salvo heard about the exchange when the mother of a student called him the next morning. She said she was outraged when her son announced that he was forgoing college for a career in a field he truly loves — fishing — and said she found Fried's handout even more disconcerting.

Di Salvo, who has since heard from another parent, said Fried's overall presentation is a positive one. The mention of exotic dancing and Fried's off-the-cuff remarks, however, have prompted him to consider barring the speaker from next year's career day.

The principal said he would send letters of apology home with students.

"It's totally inappropriate," Di Salvo said. "It's not OK by me. I would want my presenters to kind of understand that coming into a career day for eighth-graders."

School board member Mandy Lowell didn't expect Fried's comment to cause lasting damage but said the speaker didn't adhere to the message of achievement the district is trying to promote.

"I don't think that your natural or implant-inflated bust size is what our schools aim to nurture," she said. "My aspiration is not to have children in this district become exotic dancers."

District superintendent Mary Frances Callan did not immediately return two telephone calls seeking comment.

Despite the uproar, many students said Fried was the most inspiring speaker in a lineup that included a pilot, an attorney, a classical pianist and a journalist.

"He really focused on finding what you really love to do," said Mariah Cannon, 13.

Cannon also said she wouldn't want exotic dancing taken off Fried's list. Although parents might find it hard to hear, it's a legitimate career choice, she said.

Student Tom Marks, 13, said he found some of Fried's comments "weird and unnecessary" but still thinks he should return next year.

"I don't think he should have gone into all the details," he said. "I just got upset that he talked about it so much."

Fried, 64, said he does not think he offended anyone.

"Eighth-grade kids are not dumb," he said. "They are pretty worldly."
January 14th, 2005 09:59 AM
glencar "He really focused on finding what you really love to do," said Mariah Cannon, 13.

She'll be working at Hooters in 5 years.
January 14th, 2005 10:05 AM
Fiji Joe Joey..not a fan..but for a dateless husker...it should do the trick
January 14th, 2005 10:52 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Didn't the Germans do that to the French in WWII?

Yup. Manufactured by Kopf-KranckenschwesterWerks GmbH out of Munchen under the tradename "French Fly." They poured it in the vichysouisse and the rest is history.
January 14th, 2005 10:56 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sure they're good if you like effete, mincing frontmen!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 14th, 2005 11:15 AM
Joey
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Joey..not a fan..but for a dateless husker...it should do the trick

You make Joey smile !

W- W- W- What ?!?! ...........Oh , sure ! :

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?By=All&Content=Bright+Eyes+&go_green.x=6&go_green.y=12
January 14th, 2005 02:18 PM
Fiji Joe And in a related story...might these be guinea pigs?

"SAN FRANCISCO — The number of Arabic linguists discharged from the military for violating its "don't ask, don't tell" policy is higher than previously reported, according to records obtained by a research group.

The group contends the records show that the military — at a time when it and U.S. intelligence agencies don't have enough Arabic speakers — is putting its anti-gay stance ahead of national security.

Between 1998 and 2004, the military discharged 20 Arabic and six Farsi speakers, according to Department of Defense data obtained by the Center for the Study of Sexual Minorities in the Military (search) under a Freedom of Information Act (search) request.

The military previously confirmed that seven translators who specialized in Arabic had been discharged between 1998 and 2003 because they were gay. The military did not break down the discharges by year, but said some, but not all, of the additional 13 discharges of Arabic speakers occurred in 2004."

January 14th, 2005 02:42 PM
doo doo doo Dude I'd be curious to see if Howe Military Academy offers linguistic training and if any of these men are indeed alumni.
January 14th, 2005 02:48 PM
Joey
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
I'd be curious to see if Howe Military Academy offers linguistic training and if any of these men are indeed alumni.

www.HoweMilitary.com

.. just click on the " alumnus " applet
January 14th, 2005 02:57 PM
doo doo doo Dude Thank you Joey. I am very disturbed that they offer a "summer camp".
January 14th, 2005 03:24 PM
sirmoonie This explains a lot.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4113819.stm
January 14th, 2005 03:29 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
This explains a lot.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4113819.stm

" Gay tourists discover Buenos Aires "

WTF ?!?!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood