ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: One for jb Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 12th, 2005 12:12 PM
nankerphelge LONDON (AP) - Strawberry Fields is not forever, after all.
The Liverpool children's home that inspired the Beatles' hit song is to close, officials said Wednesday.

The psychedelic single "Strawberry Fields Forever" was released in February 1967 with "Penny Lane" on the reverse side and quickly made it to No. 2 in the British charts, but it was kept out of the top slot by Engelbert Humperdinck's "Release Me."

John Lennon wrote the song's dreamy lyrics about a time in his childhood when he lived near the Strawberry Fields orphanage. It has been suggested that Lennon felt a kinship with the orphans after he was abandoned by his father and his mother, Julia, sent him to live with his Aunt Mimi, who raised him.

The Salvation Army, which now runs Strawberry Fields, said the current preference for placing children with foster families has reduced the need for orphanages. Only three youngsters remain at the home in Liverpool's Woolton district.

"We have to give two years' notice of closure, which we did yesterday, but there is no precise date for closure yet," said Marion Drew, divisional leader for the northwest region.

"The three children currently staying there will be found foster homes. That was always the plan for them, so they will not be affected by the closure."

Drew said the organization will try to relocate the 30 staff members working there.

Drew said no decision has yet been made on the fate of the building or its famous gates, which have become a landmark for Beatles fans paying homage to Lennon.

Lennon left money to the home in his will and in 1984 his widow, Yoko Ono, donated more than $70,000 to keep the facility open.

January 12th, 2005 12:13 PM
jb
January 12th, 2005 12:15 PM
Joey

January 12th, 2005 12:26 PM
Fiji Joe Much like Steve Earle, Lennon was a commie
January 12th, 2005 01:19 PM
gypsy Excellent Howard Carter-like find, nanky.
Feel free to take the rest of the day off!

Friskee !
January 12th, 2005 02:35 PM
Hannalee A family of kids from Strawberry Fields went to my school at one point... they were conspicuous for their ghastly NHS specs, poor little buggers.
January 12th, 2005 02:43 PM
Joey
" Clean, ripe, flirtaceous and, in the short term at least, disarmingly voluptuous, the Durdilly is a fair old WonderBra of a wine. We stretched our bottle out over the Holiday Weekend, alternately enjoying it as a simple aperitif, with a cashew/mushroom pate, and with cheeses. As befits tradition, we served the bottle lightly chilled, but even at room temperature, this Beaujolais showed plenty character. In short, yes, I'm converted. "
January 12th, 2005 03:40 PM
Fiji Joe This Strawberry Fields sounds a lot like Neverland
January 12th, 2005 03:44 PM
Joey
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
This Strawberry Fields sounds a lot like Neverland

The new motion picture " Finding Neverland " is a classic piece of celluloid ( ...almost as good as ' Sideways ' .

I highly recommend it !

Jerky Boy ! ™
January 12th, 2005 03:46 PM
jb The first Ramboo was good!!!
January 12th, 2005 03:51 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
The first Ramboo was good!!!

.......so was " Rambone "
January 12th, 2005 04:20 PM
Fiji Joe Does this "Finding Neverland" having anything to do with Michael Jackson?
January 12th, 2005 04:30 PM
Joey
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Does this "Finding Neverland" having anything to do with Michael Jackson?

You make Joey smile .

For that Fiji .............I'll buy you a drink at " Harry's " this summer .

The Joey , Established 1999 and providing quality entertainment since Day One .
January 12th, 2005 11:30 PM
glencar Hey Joshy, here's a story for ya! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4170083.stm
January 13th, 2005 09:36 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hey Joshy, here's a story for ya! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4170083.stm

Little fucking twat...apology unacceptable as this will be the newest fashion statement for the teens all over the world....his mother(rip) must be turning over in her grave as she opposed this type of hatred and worked to make the world a better place. Shame on Harry and the entire Royal staff for allowing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 13th, 2005 09:55 AM
throbby Well said JB!
January 13th, 2005 10:03 AM
jb
quote:
throbby wrote:
Well said JB!

Hey Throbby!!!! Happy New year!!! any newly discovered Taylor era stuff?
January 13th, 2005 10:17 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Little fucking twat...apology unacceptable as this will be the newest fashion statement for the teens all over the world....

Agreed on the "fucking twat" bit 100%, but as it didnt catch on as a fashion statement when Brian Jones did something similar 40 years ago, it hardly will now (it did for a while amongst some air headed punks in the late 70's when Sid Vicious wore one, though)

I cant see "teens" looking to royalty as role models for fashion statements, thankfully!
January 13th, 2005 10:18 AM
throbby Happy New Year JB!

Mostly reissues of late regarding the '72 and '73 shows.

Have you heard the boot "Welcome to New York"? It has eight cuts from the Garden show in '72. I don't believe I sent you that one. The whole '72 Garden show has been booted , but alas in horrible sound. These eight are from the old Swinging Pig CD boot label and have fairly good sound. Nice artwork as well.

[Edited by throbby]
January 13th, 2005 10:22 AM
jb
quote:
throbby wrote:
Happy New Year JB!

Mostly reissues of late regarding the '72 and '73 shows.

Have you heard the boot "Welcome to New York"? It has about six cuts from the Garden show in '72. I don't believe I sent you that one. The whole '72 Garden show has been booted , but alas in horrible sound. These six cuts are from the old Swinging Pig CD boot label and have fairly good sound. Nice artwork as well.

Yes...a nice fellow from Shidoobee sent me that..amazing renditions of ADTL, LIV, etc.....take care!~
January 13th, 2005 11:19 AM
Fiji Joe Not cool...the kid done seen one too many Indiana Jones flicks
January 13th, 2005 04:36 PM
jb http://www.fartnames.com/
January 13th, 2005 04:39 PM
gypsy
quote:
jb wrote:
Little fucking twat...apology unacceptable as this will be the newest fashion statement for the teens all over the world....his mother(rip) must be turning over in her grave as she opposed this type of hatred and worked to make the world a better place. Shame on Harry and the entire Royal staff for allowing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anita Pallenberg made him do it as a joke.
January 14th, 2005 01:15 PM
jb Nazi uniforms are no joking matter..the British should be particularly sensitive as they lost hundreds of thousands of their own b/c of the Nazis....We all know the Duke Of Windsor was a Nazi sympathizer, but the Monarch worked hard to distance itself from him and some of their oher Nazi ties. harry is 20, and we all fuck up, but he should do more than simply apologize. He should visit the ovens at Auschwitz and realize that to millions of people, not just jews, the swastika represents man at his worst.
January 14th, 2005 01:27 PM
JumpingKentFlash Hahahaha. JB is a moron of dimensions. He won the "Fucktard Of The Year Award" ten times in a row.
January 14th, 2005 01:28 PM
jb
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Hahahaha. JB is a moron of dimensions. He won the "Fucktard Of The Year Award" ten times in a row.

Fuck you ass-hole!!!
January 14th, 2005 01:50 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Nazi uniforms are no joking matter..He should visit the ovens at Auschwitz and realize that to millions of people, not just jews, the swastika represents man at his worst.

They got six million of us
...............and they shall NEVER get anymore !!!!!

J.!
January 14th, 2005 01:51 PM
jb Thanks Joey!!!
January 14th, 2005 01:54 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks Joey!!!

Anytime My Jewish Brother !

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?By=All&Content=social+distortion&go_green.x=14&go_green.y=12
January 14th, 2005 02:01 PM
voodoopug "JB is a moron of dimensions. He won the "Fucktard Of The Year Award" ten times in a row"

Very sorry to see one of the "Legends of Rocks Off" taking such a beating over an obviously intelligent post.

Are we to beleive that you support facism and Nazi beliefs, if so, I must say that I am disappointed, a college student should be better educated than that.

I wish all the best during these trying times!
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood