ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Marley's Wife Plans to Exhume Remains Return to archive
January 12th, 2005 11:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Marley's Wife Plans to Exhume Remains

By ANTHONY MITCHELL, Associated Press Writer

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - The wife of reggae star Bob Marley said Wednesday that she plans to exhume his remains in Jamaica and rebury them in his "spiritual resting place," Ethiopia.

The reburial is set for an unspecified date after monthlong celebrations of the 60th anniversary of Marley's birth to be held next month in Ethiopia. Both the Ethiopian church and government officials have expressed support for the project, Rita Marley told The Associated Press.

"We are working on bringing his remains to Ethiopia," said Rita, a former backing singer for Marley's band, The Wailers. "It is part of Bob's own mission."

Marley was born in St. Ann, Jamaica, in 1945. He died of cancer in 1981.

Rita Marley said her husband would be reburied in Shashemene, 250 kilometers (155 miles) south of Addis Ababa where several hundred Rastafarians have lived since they were given land by Ethiopia's last emperor, Haile Selassie.

Hundreds of thousands of Jamaicans embraced Haile as their living god and head of the Rastafarian religious movement.

Marley was a devout Rastafarian, a faith whose followers preach a oneness with nature, grow their hair into long matted strands called dreadlocks and smoke marijuana as a sacrament.

"Bob's whole life is about Africa, it is not about Jamaica," said Rita, a Cuban-born singer who married Marley in 1966.

"How can you give up a continent for an island? He has a right for his remains to be where he would love them to be. This was his mission. Ethiopia is his spiritual resting place," she said. "With the 60th anniversary this year, the impact is there and the time is right."

Together with the African Union and the U.N. children's agency, Rita Marley has organized celebrations in Ethiopia, including a concert on Marley's birthday, Feb. 6, to be held in Addis Ababa.

The monthlong celebration, dubbed "Africa Unite" after one of Marley's songs, aims to raise funds to help poor families in Ethiopia.

The Marley Family, Senegal's Baaba Maal and Youssou N'Dour, Angelique Kidjo of Benin and other African and reggae artists will perform as part of the US$1 million (euro760,000) program.

The event is expected to be broadcast in Africa and beyond.
January 12th, 2005 11:33 AM
jb I just bought Marley's greatest hits...a true legend who sadly died from a melanoma which spread from his foot to his brain.....
January 12th, 2005 11:43 AM
Gazza The greatest hits only scratch the surface of his genius. All of his albums with the Wailers after they were signed by Island are worth getting.

Buy "Exodus" next.
[Edited by Gazza]
January 12th, 2005 11:44 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:
I just bought Marley's greatest hits...a true legend who sadly died from a melanoma which spread from his foot to his brain.....

What? Non-Stones music has been purchased? I'm very proud of you!

You need more Marley though - like the Stones and a few others, greatest hits don't suffice.
January 12th, 2005 12:10 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

What? Non-Stones music has been purchased? I'm very proud of you!

You need more Marley though - like the Stones and a few others, greatest hits don't suffice.

Moof Piss !!! ™
January 12th, 2005 12:30 PM
Saint Sway any chance we can smoke Bob's ashes?
January 12th, 2005 05:11 PM
throbby Hey JB! Try the Jamaican version of "Catch a Fire". One disc I can't get enough of.
January 12th, 2005 06:18 PM
caro Another reason to love Keith! After years of high school & college party-hippie-spliff-reggae-listening, I was sick to death of Bob Marley. And then Keith puts together his "The Devil's music" compilation for Uncut, and I get all dizzy with love for "Jah is Mighty"!

Baba Maal is cool too. I saw him play an open air gig in Paris during the 2002 Football World Cup, one day before the Senegalese team played the quarter-finals... It was madness, the crowd being so happy about the team, the band being great as usual and Baba Maal having this hypnotic stage presence...people were looking at him like he was some sort of god.
January 12th, 2005 07:55 PM
time is on my side To me, Bob Marley will always be associated with Jamaica. They can transport his ashes and remove his burial plot to Ethopia but the spirit will always remain in Jamaica. This is where, in real life, Bob lived, breathed, created music which changed the world, organized festivals, and was involved in the ongoing political struggle in his homeland (he was so popular and, had so much influence, the leaders in Jamaica either tried to get rid of him or bowed as his feet in respect).

While his widow has a point that Jamaica is only a small island, she should know Bob now belongs to the world and not just one continent.

Love live the Rastafarias!!!
[Edited by time is on my side]
January 14th, 2005 08:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Marley Foundations deny plan to rebury reggae legend in Ethiopia

AFP: 1/14/2005

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica, Jan 14 (AFP) - The Bob Marley and Rita Marley Foundations have denied press reports that the widow of the reggae legend plans to have his body exhumed from his Jamaican burial ground and entombed in Ethiopia.

According to the reports, Marley's widow, Rita, said during a visit to Ethiopia that she planned to have her husband's remains taken from Jamaica, where he was born, and reburied in his "spiritual home" of Ethiopia.

But a representative of the Rita Marley Foundation told local reporters there was no plan to remove Marley's body from his burial place in the rural district of Nine Miles in St Ann on the northeast coast of the island.

"There's absolutely no truth to the story, and I'm quoting Mrs. Marley to you," the representative was quoted as saying. "I spoke with her this morning as it relates to the story, because we have been getting calls, and she said there were no such plans."

Born in 1945 in St Ann, Marley rose from the gritty shantytowns of Kingston to global stardom with hits such as "No Woman, No Cry," "Get Up, Stand Up," "Africa Unite," "One Love" and "I Shot the Sheriff." He died of cancer in Miami in 1981 at the age of 36.

The Bob Marley and Rita Marley Foundations plan to stage celebrations in February to mark what would have been the singer's 60th birthday.

In December, speakers at the 60th birthday press launch recommended that Marley be named a national hero and there be a holiday to commemorate his musical achievements.

01/14/2005 19:05 GMT - AFP

January 15th, 2005 03:22 AM
thejuf In 1979 I saw Peter Tosh in Amsterdam and in May 1980 I attended Marley's last Dutch gig in Rotterdam.
It was fabulous. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.Got very stoned, of course.

Catch a Fire, Burnin' and Natty Dread are among my favourites.

the juf, who doesn't smoke pot anymore....
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood