ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: california mudslides Return to archive
January 11th, 2005 08:08 PM
kath
quote:
LOS ANGELES - Scattered rain showers lashed waterlogged Southern California again Tuesday, hampering efforts to find survivors buried by a mud slide in a coastal community and prompting hundreds to flee a mountain town below a rain-swollen reservoir and along rising streams.

The succession of storms that have brought heavy snow to the mountains of Northern California and astonishing amounts of rain to the south was blamed for the deaths of at least 12 people.

The National Weather Service said Tuesday that downtown Los Angeles had recorded its wettest 15 consecutive days on record, with a total of 17 inches of rain falling in the period ending Monday.

The storm was forecast to taper off late Tuesday or early Wednesday and no new system is expected through the coming Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend. More snow fell in the Sierra Nevada, but the mountains were expected to get a break in the weather this weekend with rising temperatures.

In La Conchita, a small community on a spit of land between the hills south of Santa Barbara and the Pacific Ocean, a massive mudslide Monday killed three people, injured 12 and left up to 21 unaccounted for.

Some of those 21 may have been out of town, but firefighters were certain at least some were trapped in the 15 homes that were crushed under a pile of mud 30 feet high, said Keith Mashburn, the Ventura County Fire Department's chief investigator.

Rescuers using hand tools resumed their search before daybreak Tuesday when they detected what appeared to be slight movement in the mud and debris. Fire officials advised them to "look for small hands and small fingers" because three children were among the missing, said department spokesman Joe Luna.

Joining the search was Jimmie Wallet, who said he had left his wife and three daughters to buy ice cream and was leaving the store when he saw the river of earth curve toward his block. He ran toward his home but it was buried.

Wallet, 37, told The Associated Press he worked alongside firefighters to rescue two people from the debris Monday, and saw one of his neighbors pulled out dead.

Early Tuesday, Wallet's face and clothes were caked with mud but he said he had not given up hope of finding his family.

"I know they've got to be there. I'm not going to stop," he said.

However, he said, there were no longer screams coming from beneath the debris, as there had been Monday.

Some 20 miles away, about 350 people in Piru took shelter overnight at a school after the entire town of 2,000 residents was advised to evacuate.

"Lake Piru is filling faster than it's releasing water," said Rod Megli, division chief for the Ventura County Fire Department. "That volume of water could affect a number of residents. We'd rather be safe than sorry."

Some Piru residents, however, refused to leave.

"God is with me and I'm not afraid of anything," said Moses Hernandez, refusing to abandon his Elva's Center Market even though others waiting out the storm had cleaned out most of his supplies. "I'm out of everything - eggs, milk, potato chips."

Southeast of Los Angeles, Orange County sheriff's personnel evacuated hundreds of people Tuesday along a three-mile stretch of swelling San Juan Creek in San Juan Capistrano.

The storm also forced the evacuation of an apartment complex in Alhambra, a suburb on the edge of Los Angeles, where authorities feared a rain-saturated hill might give way, and a man was trapped Tuesday in a cave in San Bernardino County. It was not immediately known how long he had been in the cave.

In Glendale, Glendale Community College was ordered closed Tuesday because of fears of mudslides. Roads all over Southern California were being closed periodically because of high water.

The storm also triggered daring rescue efforts throughout the region.

In the San Dimas Canyon area, firefighters used a raft to rescue a toddler but it tipped over and flung everyone into the water. Two firefighters went into the rushing water after the baby and one of them managed to carry the child to safety.

On Sunday, firefighters threw a rope to a man floating downstream after his car had plunged into a creek, but he lost his grip on the rope as they tried to pulled up to a bridge and fell back into the rushing water. He was rescued farther downstream.

To the north, the storm system dumped more than a dozen feet of snow on much of the Sierra Nevada in Northern California and was expected to pile up 3 more feet before subsiding there late Tuesday.

Last week's heavy rain and snow also produced flooding along the Ohio River that has affected communities in West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, covering riverside roads and forcing some residents to evacuate.

One person died Monday in Ohio when he drove into high water in Ohio. The storm also knocked out power in some areas and authorities believe carbon monoxide poisoning killed five people using generators for electricity in Ohio and two in Pennsylvania.

i sincerely hope none of us are involved in this act of nature!! man, what the hell is goin' on????

hope all you california folks are ok!

January 11th, 2005 08:17 PM
stonedinaustralia i was thinking the same thing too - mac_D south Cal. that's your neck of the woods - right?? -

down here we are now having bushfires - there was a relatively big one 10 kilometres down the road from my place yesterday but no loss of human life and not much property -

worse, a few hundred miles to the west there's one still going on now and has been for over 24 hours - twenty people dead

January 11th, 2005 08:37 PM
LadyJane Mother Nature if really fucking pissed, isn't she???

Best wishes to all!!

LJ.
January 11th, 2005 08:59 PM
mac_daddy yeah - the rain was no joke... more rain in the past 15 days than in any 15 day period in (recorded) weather history here. 19 feet of snow in the sierras. i like the weather - reminds me of the times i spent in other locales - particularly scotland (where i attended school for a bit during my jr high school years)...

my family, friends, etc. are all fine. do doo doo dude is an angeleno, as is dan. i hope those cats are all good, as well...

those people stuck/buried in the mud are in some trouble. i dont think anyone could survive that for too long. it is warming up, though, and so they should be able to find them all soon...

did you see the video of the guy who drove over a flooded bridge, got swept up in the runoff (technically called the "los angeles river"), and then got pulled out by the fire department..? he had lost his pants, too :O

it was sunny today, though, and in the long run, the deluge was good, as we need the rain (so we can ease up bogarting the rest of the region's water)...

unrelated, but it sure makes me think about global warming. the melting of the polar ice caps is no joke - i mean, that sh*t has not been in liquid form for tens (hundreds?) of thousands of years. what the hell is going to happen when/if those things ever go...

January 11th, 2005 10:34 PM
corgi37 I tell ya, SIA, we are going to have a shitty bush fire season.

S.A. must be pretty freaking dry.
January 12th, 2005 12:24 AM
kath yeah, that's the problem here in oregon, too. it rains from october until july, and then the fires start.....
January 12th, 2005 12:28 AM
glencar I saw this one guy in La Conchita on the news who got arrested when he tried to reach his wife & 4 daughters in the mud. It's unbelievable what's going on these days.
January 12th, 2005 02:33 AM
Dead Flower I live in San Jose and it's rained on and off for at least three weeks now. It's not pretty right now. It smells funny too.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood