ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steve Earle Update Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 13th, 2005 10:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
:
kath wrote:
there are stones boards that thrive on political debates, but i don't think this is one of them....

quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Look, I don't mind talking or reading politics on threads should the subject happen to come up...necessarily. That is provided that it doesn't get nasty and personal.

Both 100% correct.
January 13th, 2005 10:41 AM
Fiji Joe Larry, I too used to like Steve Earle...that is before he became a political activist and warped his music along those lines...I find just about all music that centers around politics to be annoying...doesn't matter if it's to the left or right...Man, I'd listen to Steve Earle before Toby Keith and I'm about as far right as they come...but the point is, I really don't care for either...I don't need music to provide me with a political opinion...not to mention, I find that most of these musicians are so far out of touch that their opinions mean nothing...even the one's that think they're in touch are really just being paternalistic...You can't have all those people kissing your ass, all that money, all the women, all the anything you want anytime you want it and still "keep it real"...it ain't possible...there are only pretenders

January 13th, 2005 10:45 AM
Fiji Joe Gazza, get me the web id on BILL WORKS...I have something special I would like to arrange for him...like a trip to Marion, Illinois to rest with the ghost of Gotti...you're a putz WORKS...an honest to goodness putz

At least we know the threshold for being banned on this site is pretty high...if threatening someone's life won't do it...I feel pretty sure that bashing Steve Earle is acceptable

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
January 13th, 2005 11:00 AM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Gazza, get me the web id on BILL WORKS...I have something special I would like to arrange for him...like a trip to Marion, Illinois to rest with the ghost of Gotti...you're a putz WORKS...an honest to goodness putz

At least we know the threshold for being banned on this site is pretty high...if threatening someone's life won't do it...I feel pretty sure that bashing Steve Earle is acceptable

[Edited by Fiji Joe]

I dont know who this fuckmook is as its the first time I've seen him post here, but he's banned.

Please check your PM.
[Edited by Gazza]
January 13th, 2005 11:14 AM
Fiji Joe "...can you answer the question of what would take place if on Friday, America stated to the world that it would never again send its troops into battle or otherwise take any military measures for any reason...do you seriously think our chances at world peace would be improved?

Well, I think it is possible that we could move towards living in peace and improve a step at a time as we take those measures. We have along way to go since we are constantly being asked to "fight" with someone. We live in a society that knows how to war with one another, but does not know how to live in sustained peace. We learn nothing about living in peace from the mainstream in this country if you ask me and our elders voices are not being heard in the mainstream."

Huh?

Get real, if such a proclamation was made Friday, all hell would be upon us by Monday...and if not us, all those other nations that cannot defend themselves....you should take a hard look at the history of this planet and be thankful that you live amidst the most compassionate and rational super power the world has ever seen...a history lesson will certainly prove me right...As for crying over the American Indians...which ones do you cry for?...because I'm sure you are aware that their societies were at war with one another long before the white man ever set foot on this continent...hell, they had entire classes of people designated as "warriors"...there are many examples of them committing genocide amongst one another...so I ask, which peaceful tribe do you cry for?

I am just always perplexed at this "war is never the answer" sentiment...inaction cost far more lives last century than aggression...just as we cannot avoid fighting in this thread...neither can mankind avoid fighting on this planet...the question is not why we're fighting...the question is who is fighting for what?...it will always be that way

Peace?...on whose terms?

January 13th, 2005 11:18 AM
JumpinJackFlash I've drank wiskey from a jar down many backroads listening to "Copperhead Road". I'll be seeing him at the Saskatoon location.
January 13th, 2005 11:32 AM
Fiji Joe Yes, I am a big fan of Copperhead Road which, despite being his most mainstream record, I think is his best.
January 13th, 2005 11:38 AM
Larry Dallas I believe that some of the greatest music comes from writers who give people a voice who may not have one otherwise. Look at Johnny Cash's record about Native Americans, Woody Guthrie's songs about migrant workers, Bob Dylan's songs about his generation's burgeoning voice. The list goes on and on. These examples can't help but be political in some way. What's the difference in seeking political ideas from Steve Earle or Sean Hannity? Nothing if you ask me.

It's easy to say that anyone in "rock star" mode cannot have a relevant opinion, but we must also realize that these artists are citizens who vote, pay taxes, and watch the news. Why should those subjects be off limits when sitting down to write your next song?

The sad reality of today's music is that we've been told that it means nothing....by radio, by labels, by MTV. It's nothing more than filler between commercial breaks on the radio or television. Important songs from yesteryear are now selling Coke and cell phones. New artists aren't nurtured to have a shelf life beyond a few years, so we're fed all of this shit with a promise that somebody new who also has nothing to say will be along in a few minutes.
January 13th, 2005 12:51 PM
Fiji Joe Whoa...Woody Guthrie sang about migrant workers?...I thought he was just about square dancing
January 13th, 2005 02:12 PM
kath woody gurthrie?? square dancing??

ok...you're kidding, right? please say you're kidding.....
January 13th, 2005 02:22 PM
Fiji Joe Well, he did sing a lot about square dancing...yes he did...then there's all that pre-chicano suburban angst stuff
January 13th, 2005 05:30 PM
kath uh......i'm trying to decide if it is actually worth arguing about......

mmmmmmm

no.
January 14th, 2005 08:33 AM
Fiji Joe Yes...he did...how do you think he made his living when he was first getting started?...take a listen to "Ida Red" and the like
January 14th, 2005 11:17 AM
Martha
quote:
Larry Dallas wrote:
I believe that some of the greatest music comes from writers who give people a voice who may not have one otherwise. Look at Johnny Cash's record about Native Americans, Woody Guthrie's songs about migrant workers, Bob Dylan's songs about his generation's burgeoning voice. The list goes on and on. These examples can't help but be political in some way. What's the difference in seeking political ideas from Steve Earle or Sean Hannity? Nothing if you ask me.

It's easy to say that anyone in "rock star" mode cannot have a relevant opinion, but we must also realize that these artists are citizens who vote, pay taxes, and watch the news. Why should those subjects be off limits when sitting down to write your next song?

The sad reality of today's music is that we've been told that it means nothing....by radio, by labels, by MTV. It's nothing more than filler between commercial breaks on the radio or television. Important songs from yesteryear are now selling Coke and cell phones. New artists aren't nurtured to have a shelf life beyond a few years, so we're fed all of this shit with a promise that somebody new who also has nothing to say will be along in a few minutes.

Larry Dallas! I must nuzzle you immediately! I hope you don't mind!

xxoo,
Martha

"and they talk through all the music"
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood