ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steve Earle Update Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 12th, 2005 10:19 AM
glencar That's because they have airheaded liberals teaching them. Or maybe the shirts have that retro look. Who cares at this point?
January 12th, 2005 10:25 AM
Fiji Joe Or maybe...the dude's a commie....you think that is out of the realm of possibilities?
January 12th, 2005 12:01 PM
Martha
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Damn Martha!...Look at his shirt...what do you think that represents?...the dude's a commie...a lover of Mao...nuff said

You make a lot of assumptions about other people's beliefs. That has become the "hip" thing to do it seems to me.
January 12th, 2005 12:07 PM
Fiji Joe Martha...what assumptions?...having people judge you by the way you present yourself outwardly isn't hip...people having been doing that since the beginning of time...Now, with Steve Earle's lyrics, his interviews, and that shirt he is wearing, I have a lot of reason to believe he is a commie...am I not entitled to that?...or is the tortured and tormented pop singer off limtits to such critique?...the fat fuc#er wants to be seen as a commie so give him his due...that's his schtick

I'll tell you what's hip...it's mother fuc#ers in this country, who never gave a fuc#ing thing to its advancement, criticising nearly every aspect of its history and government...and fu#k no!...exercising your right to free speech is not contribution enough...any fu@ing chuckle head can do that
January 12th, 2005 12:58 PM
Martha
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Martha...

I'll tell you what's hip...it's mother fuc#ers in this country, who never gave a fuc#ing thing to its advancement, criticising nearly every aspect of its history and government...and fu#k no!...exercising your right to free speech is not contribution enough...any fu@ing chuckle head can do that

What mutherfookers who never gave a thing to it's advancement. Who are they and what kind of advancement do you mean? How would you describe advancement in this country?

Why do you consider what you call "criticism" of our history and government as a bad thing? We have done very bad things as the United States of America. I simply cannot deny reality and pretend we haven't and aren't doing things that hurt others, for our own gain.

I do not belive in this way of living in the world. I do not want nor do I support an Imperialistic government, but that is what I now have.

I want to live in peace with everyone else and do believe it is a possibility.

I only want the truth. That's my quest personally, politically and spiritually.

You sound pretty angry about people having differing opinions. Are you?
January 12th, 2005 01:07 PM
Fiji Joe Martha, before I endeavor to answer your laundry list of questions directed toward me...please state what measures either you, or Steve Earle, have done to seek "the truth" from the Chinese government, the former Hussein regime, from those governments of Syria, Saudi Arabia, Germany, France...hell...why don't you just tell me what measures you or Steve Earle have taken to find "the truth" about anything...then, I think you may have at least part of your answer to your own questions

Truth seeker my ass...you're content with being a part-time walden-esque dissident...at least when Oprah goes to commercial

I'm going to eat...beef
January 12th, 2005 01:22 PM
Martha Truth seeker my ass...you're content with being a part-time walden-esque dissident...at least when Oprah goes to commercial

Ok Fiji. You win again.

peace,
Martha
January 12th, 2005 02:02 PM
Fiji Joe Yes...one by one they all fall down...NEXT!
January 12th, 2005 02:28 PM
F505
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
the fat fuc#er wants to be seen as a commie so give him his due...

You are not so skinny yourself....
January 12th, 2005 03:38 PM
Fiji Joe Yes...so who better to know a fat fu#ker when he sees one?
January 12th, 2005 04:00 PM
Gazza Jesus Christ, will you ever give it a rest, man

Try posting about music on this site once in a while. Your political rants and baiting of everyone who doesnt fit into your world view seem to comprise about 99% of the total posts you make here
January 12th, 2005 04:21 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Martha wrote:
Truth seeker my ass...you're content with being a part-time walden-esque dissident...at least when Oprah goes to commercial

Ok Fiji. You win again.

peace,
Martha

Come on, Martha! Get with it! America has ALWAYS been a nation of arrogant idiots (like Fiji), and the sooner we all embrace our true nature, the sooner we can conquer, er, I mean, liberate, the whole friggin' world!!

I agree that the presence of a red star on Steve Earle's shirt makes him a Maoist, although his big expensive watch and wall of cool guitars seems to indicate that he may still have some capitalist tendencies.

Are the commies still the bad guys? I'm confused. I thought we were supposed to hate muslims now, not commies. Do they still make commies? Aren't they somewhat outmoded?

Is Spiro Agnew still alive? I know he's not, but damn, when Fiji gets going it's like Spiggy is still among us.

Nattering Nabobs of Negativism!

(Hey, happy new year, by the way!)
January 12th, 2005 04:29 PM
charlotte
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Jesus Christ, will you ever give it a rest, man

Try posting about music on this site once in a while. Your political rants and baiting of everyone who doesnt fit into your world view seem to comprise about 99% of the total posts you make here

No shit!!! must be a fascist...
January 12th, 2005 04:31 PM
Fiji Joe Do you really believe America to be an imperialist nation that is ruining the world's chance at peace?...seriously?...can you answer the question of what would take place if on Friday, America stated to the world that it would never again send its troops into battle or otherwise take any military measures for any reason...do you seriously think our chances at world peace would be improved?...I don't think any of you give a piss about "world peace"...all you care about is sleeping well at night and not having your european internet message board friends think less of you because you're from America...When is the last time you shed a tear over what's happening in Africa?...China?...Indonesia?

Now, I cannot speak of this anymore because the Gestapo is at my door
January 12th, 2005 04:50 PM
Gazza Nothing personal, Fiji - youre entitled to your own politics as is everyone but personally I couldnt give a flying fuck what your politics are

What I do give a fuck about is that every time you appear on here it seems to be the same political rants ad nauseam. You're hardly the only person who posts here to bring their politics with them, but at least almost everyone else posts about music once in a while - which is the point of this site after all. You've chosen to hijack an innocuous informative post by TTM and turn it into a ranting political tirade .

Its tiresome. Knock it off or find a political website where it's welcomed.
[Edited by Gazza]
January 12th, 2005 05:00 PM
Fiji Joe New Fiji...inspiration by Steve Earle

Props to the peeps who saved this pic from the tsunami...

And Gazza, while I find your assessment of my posting tendencies to be highly inaccurate, I will olbige in responding to non-politcal posts...although I think any thread on Steve Earle is going to, or should go, in that direction....as I said...that's his shtick...after all, he ain't singing about crying sharks
January 12th, 2005 05:26 PM
Gazza we'll agree to differ on that one - I certainly dont want you to feel you're not welcome, though.

A thread on Steve Earle (or anyone) doesnt have to go in that direction - considering the original post was a news and tour update and not a political one. If it was the latter, you're as entitled as anyone to spleen-vent.

Cheers
January 12th, 2005 06:12 PM
kath "commie"??? gawd, what year is this??? do we all run to our fallout shelters now? did you bring the can opener??

this is unbelievable. a simple post about a single musician and his tour dates.

and now martha gets sideswiped like that??? that ain't fair, man.

there are stones boards that thrive on political debates, but i don't think this is one of them....
January 12th, 2005 06:24 PM
F505 This man will be pleased

January 12th, 2005 07:14 PM
kath yeah...he LIVES!!!!
January 12th, 2005 09:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels http://earle.c.topica.com/maac3Cwabdb35cfHnMqb/

Now maybe someone can explain this to me. Maybe this is old technology that doesn't work so well or I'm doing something wrong. Anyway I click on this link and the thing buffers up. It only plays a few bits of the song video, stops and starts rebuffering again. Anyway it's not worth doing it that way. Do you have to buy extra real player software or something? Or does one need DSL...I'm still on dial up. Oh well.
January 12th, 2005 09:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
kath wrote:
there are stones boards that thrive on political debates, but i don't think this is one of them....

Look, I don't mind talking or reading politics on threads should the subject happen to come up...necessarily. That is provided that it doesn't get nasty and personal.
January 12th, 2005 11:19 PM
glencar
quote:
kath wrote:
"commie"??? gawd, what year is this??? do we all run to our fallout shelters now? did you bring the can opener??

this is unbelievable. a simple post about a single musician and his tour dates.

and now martha gets sideswiped like that??? that ain't fair, man.

Actually, I think we generally do pretty well with our political debates. Yes, the lefties usually descend to baby talk & name-calling but their side is on the losing end these days. No wonder the 60's look like those halcyon days of yore to them. At least my side can admit when someone like Charlie Daniels is a twit. Steve Earle is also a twit. A pretty disgusting one without much talent.
January 12th, 2005 11:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
A pretty disgusting one without much talent.

Oh bullshit!
January 13th, 2005 08:42 AM
Fiji Joe Well...the "commie" comment was in jest...although I believe it when it comes to Steve Earle...there are still "commies" out there and they're not fun people...oh sure, they'll share their toilet paper, but just try and sleep with their wife
January 13th, 2005 10:13 AM
Larry Dallas It seems like some of this talk needs to be taken to the Toby Keith "Ford Truck Man" Message Board. If Steve Earle's a communist, then I am too I guess. Steve Earle writes great records, but that doesn't seem to matter here because he's not kissing W's ass in song. If you want to continue on with having blind faith in your leaders, then go to Wal-Mart and check out the Brooks and Dunn collection or the Toby Keith boot in your ass song. They're big supporters of our administration and they'll never doubt anything our God-fearing leader does.

Martha, you keep on listening to Steve Earle and I'll do the same. Today we can celebrate our government's decision to stop looking for WMD's in Iraq. The full report will be out today. Our President is wondering why the CIA intelligence was wrong while he's awarding George Tenent with a "medal of honor." Once again, the Bush Administration will never have to ever admit to being wrong about anything while our troops wage a war that was supposedly based on WMDs. Give me a break. I can't wait to see what that Commie Bastard Steve Earle has to say about this. I heard some rumored song titles along the lines of "Massive Stockpiles," "Building Threat," "WMD me ASAP" (duet with John Ashcroft), "It's Hard Work," and "Watch this Drive!" Meanwhile, Toby Keith is working on "Don't ever question anything or anybody and I won't either."

Rock on, Martha.
January 13th, 2005 10:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Well...the "commie" comment was in jest...although I believe it when it comes to Steve Earle...there are still "commies" out there and they're not fun people...oh sure, they'll share their toilet paper, but just try and sleep with their wife

LOL. Steve's had six - so you can take your pick! And he's currently doing Allison Moorer, his support act on his current tour. I'd share a mattress with her any time!
January 13th, 2005 10:22 AM
Martha "Actually, I think we generally do pretty well with our political debates. Yes, the lefties usually descend to baby talk & name-calling but their side is on the losing end these days. No wonder the 60's look like those halcyon days of yore to them. At least my side can admit when someone like Charlie Daniels is a twit. Steve Earle is also a twit. A pretty disgusting one without much talent."

glencar, I can't help but notice that you are the one doing the name-calling character assassinating in your above quote/post.
January 13th, 2005 10:27 AM
glencar As usual, you miss my point, Martha. The namecalling is not of the "Toby Keith is a moron" variety but it's of the "anyone who votes for Dubya is an ass or cares only about their pocketbook" variety. Check out what one of your cohorts wrote about Fiji Joe. I see that style of writing on many of the lefty blogs I visit. I think one reason the ersatz JFK lost was that people sensed he was a smug man who didn't really belive half of what he was saying.
January 13th, 2005 10:31 AM
Martha
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Do you really believe America to be an imperialist nation that is ruining the world's chance at peace?

Absolutely I do. It's certainly not operating as a democracy.

...seriously?

Yes very.

...can you answer the question of what would take place if on Friday, America stated to the world that it would never again send its troops into battle or otherwise take any military measures for any reason...do you seriously think our chances at world peace would be improved?

Well, I think it is possible that we could move towards living in peace and improve a step at a time as we take those measures. We have along way to go since we are constantly being asked to "fight" with someone. We live in a society that knows how to war with one another, but does not know how to live in sustained peace. We learn nothing about living in peace from the mainstream in this country if you ask me and our elders voices are not being heard in the mainstream.

..I don't think any of you give a piss about "world peace"...all you care about is sleeping well at night and not having your european internet message board friends think less of you because you're from America...

Here you are making assuptions about my beliefs and I must tell you that you are incorrect.

When is the last time you shed a tear over what's happening in Africa?...China?...Indonesia?

I first and foremost cry for the American Indians who we committed genocide upon.

Now, I cannot speak of this anymore because the Gestapo is at my door

That figures. :-)

peace to you all,
M
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood