ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Putting Dirty Work into perspective......From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 10th, 2005 04:05 AM
IanBillen
Many down Dirty Work. Many say how awful it was.

Well, actually in my opinion Dirty Work didn't suck or anything it just lacked the soul, and creativity of many Stones albums and was a little slick in production.

However it did have excellent guitar and good drums. Where one Stones album may have one great aspect of music another Stones album may have others. Some have it all or at least many.

Dirty Work did however capture the vibe that was surrounding the band at the time: Anger.

Producer Steve Lillywhite captured what was going on with the band at the time. What eles was the guy supposed to do? It must of been really tough to have a chance of a life time on your hands but unfortunately for him the group was on fire at each other. So he is not really at any fault. In fact I don't see Dirty work as a real bomb or anything at all. I just see it for what it was.
Dirty Work wasn't a terrible album. It just was a little slick at times with the 80's style of hard rock production. But there are some real good songs on there.
People over-do it with downing Dirty Work because it was an album that put the Jagger-Richards-Watts fued in a package and has ever since been remembered that way. But it by no means sucks. Sure it is not not one of the the best Rolling Stones albums but it is no piece of total crap either.
Dirty Work may not of been a total classic or anything but hey, at least what was going on with how the group felt at the time wasn't to be hidden. At least it was real.

Ian
January 10th, 2005 04:16 AM
F505 Don't bother
January 10th, 2005 05:14 AM
Zack Are you trying to suck up to Perks, Ian? I don't think this will get you off the list.
January 10th, 2005 06:56 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Zack wrote:
Are you trying to suck up to Perks, Ian? I don't think this will get you off the list.

LOL now that was funny.

oh wait I mean LOL NOW THAT WAS FUNNY
January 10th, 2005 08:17 AM
BILL PERKS IAN BILLEN-I ALWAYS SAID YOU WERE BRIGHT,THOUGHTFUL AND FULL OF TASTE..YOU ARE NOW OFF THE IDIOT LIST AND I'M CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR HIS REPLACEMENT.
January 10th, 2005 08:29 AM
glencar The "One Hit To The Body" video is outstanding. I think this was the album where Mick just took a walk & let Keith & Ronnie finish it up.
January 11th, 2005 12:52 AM
IanBillen
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
IAN BILLEN-I ALWAYS SAID YOU WERE BRIGHT,THOUGHTFUL AND FULL OF TASTE..YOU ARE NOW OFF THE IDIOT LIST AND I'M CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR HIS REPLACEMENT.

well thanks.
January 11th, 2005 06:29 AM
West 8 I always liked Had it With You. In fact I'm trying to the band get to play that # for the Stones weekend in April
January 11th, 2005 08:12 AM
T&A or...maybe it just plain sucks.
January 11th, 2005 08:28 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
T&A wrote:
or...maybe it just plain sucks.

not a fan, eh..? i like it, and the outtakes are better - invitation is sweet...

i find steel wheels much more offensive than dw...
January 11th, 2005 08:39 AM
Fiji Joe I can put Dirty Work into perspective...you know it's like this...you have a delicious piece of Iowa Corn....fresh from the stalk...smothered in butter and with pepper dashed about...delightful to the crunch and it melts in your mouth...well...Dirty Work is like what's left of that wonderful corn as it floats in your toilet the following day

ANOTHER GRATUITOUS REVIEW BY FIJI JOE

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
January 11th, 2005 08:53 AM
nankerphelge Dirty Work has some good things on it.

But the bad things are so lacking, that it makes it difficult to make it all the way thru.

Back To Zero, for example, has been approved by the FDA for male sterilization.

January 11th, 2005 09:54 AM
BILL PERKS THE OUTTAKE FOR BACK TO ZERO SOUNDS RAW AND RAGGED AND JAGGER RUINED IT IN MIXING.
January 11th, 2005 09:58 AM
F505
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
I can put Dirty Work into perspective...you know it's like this...you have a delicious piece of Iowa Corn....fresh from the stalk...smothered in butter and with pepper dashed about...delightful to the crunch and it melts in your mouth...well...Dirty Work is like what's left of the that wonderful corn as it floats in your toilet the following day

ANOTHER GRATUITOUS REVIEW BY FIJI JOE

Still too positive
January 11th, 2005 10:34 AM
jb "I beleive I can fly"......R. Kelley....
January 11th, 2005 12:08 PM
Joey "....Dirty Work is like what's left of the that wonderful corn as it floats in your toilet the following day "

You make Joey laugh like Hell
January 11th, 2005 12:31 PM
F505 JB are you on speaking terms with Fiji Joe again after the Dogshit incident?
January 11th, 2005 12:42 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
JB are you on speaking terms with Fiji Joe again after the Dogshit incident?

Hello F505 .................................

Are you on speaking terms with ?!?!
January 11th, 2005 12:49 PM
F505 Hi Joey I am working on it right now as a matter of fact...
January 11th, 2005 01:15 PM
Saint Sway heres my .02 - my opinion and my solution

sure there is definately some corn floaters on DW. Obviously, Back To Zero and Winning Ugly stand out as tracks that should of been left on the cutting room floor of a Jagger solo album.

but there are songs on Dirty Work where the narly, rockin guitars really stand out. Seriously good rockers like One Hit To The Body, Fight, Had It With You and Dirty Work. In fact, I'd put One Hit & HIWY on any Stones album. Just great songs.

I also think that most of the rockers on Dirt Work even out shine nearly all of the rockers on the Stones albums that have come out since Dirty Work. Case in point, I'd take "Fight" over anything on Steel Wheels.

the thing that really hurt Dirty Work was the Harlem Shuffle video. YIKES! Just embarrassing. The Stones dancing around with cartoon cats. C'mon!!!

ditto the album cover!! Those crayola jackets!! Hiddeous! Looks like it should be the Miami Vice Soundtrack. So embarrassing.

DW cant be listened to straight through. But heres what you do... 1st you throw out the CD sleeve. Just torch it. Then, you download the choice cuts. And burn them into a cool mix. Mix in some outakes like Goin To Memphis and You're Too Much and some other choice cuts from that era... a little Break The Spell, a track or two of Talk Is Cheap, mix in Lonely At The Top, the Wino version of "Too Rude" etc... until you have your own kick ass version of Dirty Work.

And whenever possible watch the One Hit video over and over. And that will cure whatever bad memories you have from this record.

January 11th, 2005 02:53 PM
Joey

Dirty Work was a big seller only in the nation of Ceylon.
January 11th, 2005 02:57 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

Dirty Work was a big seller only in the nation of Ceylon.

How is the Lugar site doing?
January 11th, 2005 03:09 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
How is the Lugar site doing?

Funny You should ask :

" www.MaxLugar.com is like a Mick Jagger or Keith Richards solo album --- acceptable to the regular poster but ignored by those in the mainstream . " ( Josh Carvell , Senior Editor , Poster's Weekly )

" Without ' JB ' & ' The Joey ' , www.Maxlugar.com ain't Shit ! " ( Kate Callan , Editor , Entertainment Weekly )

" MaxLugar.com is to the internet what " Face Dances " & " It's Hard " was to the record industry " ( Kyle Farnsworth , Time Magazine )

" The first ' straight to video ' website ever created " ( Cory May , Newsweek )

{ CA - RACK }

" God the kid is Hot today Ronnie ! "

Sassy Cakes ! ™

January 11th, 2005 03:54 PM
glencar Wow, Dirty Work is taking some hits here today. The title track is outstanding. Shit, I even like that video with all the black folks. That girl is smoking hot. Keith in his hat is nice & Jagger's got some great moves. Yes, the album cover is badly done but I blame Leibowitz. And I don't diss "Back To Zero" whatsoever. I alwasy found that more likeable than Hold Back. That's the pooper on that one!
January 11th, 2005 04:23 PM
Joey " Wow, Dirty Work is taking some hits here today. The title track is outstanding. Shit, I even like that video with all the black folks. That girl is smoking hot. Keith in his hat is nice & Jagger's got some great moves. Yes, the album cover is badly done but I blame Leibowitz. And I don't diss "Back To Zero" whatsoever. I alwasy found that more likeable than Hold Back. That's the pooper on that one! "

Your story has become tedious ...............

....I've just taken my afternoon Dump -- " OH MY GOD !!!! "

You may NOT touch my Monkey tonight !

Ninea !

NINEA ABS SHAE MONKEE !

[Edited by Joey]
January 11th, 2005 04:47 PM
Nellcote Dirty Work-It's The Stones, dammit.
You WILL like it.
You WILL like every bit of it.
You WILL like it with every fiber of your soul.
Look in the mirror and ask yourself...
Am I a Stones Fan?
Then, I like Ditry Work.

We now return you to regular programming...
January 11th, 2005 06:18 PM
glencar
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Wow, Dirty Work is taking some hits here today. The title track is outstanding. Shit, I even like that video with all the black folks. That girl is smoking hot. Keith in his hat is nice & Jagger's got some great moves. Yes, the album cover is badly done but I blame Leibowitz. And I don't diss "Back To Zero" whatsoever. I alwasy found that more likeable than Hold Back. That's the pooper on that one! "

Your story has become tedious ...............

....I've just taken my afternoon Dump -- " OH MY GOD !!!! "

You may NOT touch my Monkey tonight !

Joey, please. Tedium is the nature of your your game.

Ninea !

NINEA ABS SHAE MONKEE !

[Edited by Joey]

January 11th, 2005 08:34 PM
Bob Tamp Still would easily pick DW over UNDERCOVER( the worst Stones album ever by far)
January 11th, 2005 09:27 PM
Egbert
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
Still would easily pick DW over UNDERCOVER( the worst Stones album ever by far)

That's like comparing floaters to sinkers.
January 11th, 2005 09:32 PM
BILL PERKS DIRTY WORK IS A MONUMENT IN TIME...THE LAST REMNANT OF THE STONES AS A WORKING BAND,NOT THE BUSINESS BULLSHIT BRIGADE WE GET NOW.SMOKIN HOT ANGER COMIN RIGHT AT YOUR ASS!PLAY IT LOUD..UP TO 11!
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood