ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian on Honky Tonk Women? Return to archive
January 8th, 2005 11:59 PM
jasta Are there any boot versions that include Brian?

Thanks
January 9th, 2005 03:42 AM
Taras Irie!
No, I don't think there is any version of HTW with Brian.
Well, HTW first variant was Country Honk from Let it Bleed.
But at the time Keith rehearsed with Mick Taylor, so I don't
think Brian attended any session. Brian credited for percussion on "Midnight Rambler" from "Let it Bleed", but
I don't really trust it. I think it is a small honour from
a band to Brian.

Keep on rollin'

Peace and Love,
Taras
January 9th, 2005 09:37 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
jasta wrote:
Are there any boot versions that include Brian?

Thanks

As far as I know Brian did not play HTW ever, so it's impossible to have a recording and then a bootleg. HTW was first recorded during the Olympic Studio sessions early in 1969 and Brian was not there.

January 9th, 2005 10:29 AM
GerryS Brian's Dad said Brian had played the song for him...a somewhat different version than what was eventually released. His Dad also said he himself liked the song quite alot and that Brian was very excited about it. One would suspect that to play it for his father, he must have had a demo version perhaps?
January 9th, 2005 01:25 PM
Gazza Brian played on early takes of the song, at Olympic Studios on March 10-11 1969, according to the sessionography in Karnbach's book. This was the same session that produced the released version of "Midnight Rambler", which Brian IS credited as playing on. The version of HTW with Brian has never been bootlegged or circulated.

Taylor's first session with the band was on 24th May. They resumed recording HTW on 30th May (my 6th birthday!). The released take features Taylor but there is also an outtake from this session which has been widely bootlegged and I believe is without Taylor. Mick overdubbed his guitar part on 5th June, according to Karnbach.
January 10th, 2005 01:56 AM
jasta Gazza,

How many guitars are on this outtake? Could Brian be on it?

Thanks
January 10th, 2005 05:44 AM
Gazza He's definitely NOT on the outtake as it comes from the same May-June session that produced the released version, plus the arrangement is pretty similar (minus some guitar, from what I remember)
January 12th, 2005 07:08 PM
jasta Which CD's contain this alternate version? The version on Ultra Rare Trax 8 is said to be from David Frost show. Is there a studio outtake version? Where?

Thanks
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood