ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gottlieb-Daimler Stadion, Stuttgart, Germany - 3rd August 2006
© Stuttgarter Nachrichten with thanks to Helmut!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Heavy Metal vs. Punk Return to archive
7th January 2008 01:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The good stuff rises to the level of Rock n Roll.
7th January 2008 01:14 PM
Saint Sway punk = rock & roll

the best punk bands are rock & roll and the best rock & rollers were punks
7th January 2008 01:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
punk = rock & roll

the best punk bands are rock & roll and the best rock & rollers were punks

7th January 2008 01:30 PM
steel driving hammer Heavy Metal all the way baby, all the way...
7th January 2008 02:54 PM
robpop
7th January 2008 04:01 PM
pdog I don't think we could even agree on what bands are punk or metal to even get to a plac where we could answer this...
I'm a punk rocker...
7th January 2008 04:04 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:

Awesome!!
7th January 2008 05:11 PM
pdog
7th January 2008 10:04 PM
robpop
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Awesome!!

HA! HA! Next time I am in the Bay area I will buy!!!
7th January 2008 10:26 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:

I'm a punk rocker...

so was sheena.......
7th January 2008 11:04 PM
M.O.W.A.T. More metal than punk fan when I was in high school -- my tastes are a little more eclectic nowadays but sometimes I do get a little nostalgic and throw on:

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
8th January 2008 09:50 AM
Mr Jurkka I like heavy metal but not so much of punk..
8th January 2008 10:12 AM
speedfreakjive I'd have to go for punk being a Pistols and Clash fan, but there is some great Heavy Metal out there, like QOTSA
8th January 2008 11:08 AM
Mr Jurkka What is QOTSA?
8th January 2008 11:17 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
What is QOTSA?

Queens of The Stone Age
8th January 2008 01:44 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:

HA! HA! Next time I am in the Bay area I will buy!!!

Sounds good my Steel Town loving friend!
I'll get the shots!!

Photobucket
8th January 2008 01:56 PM
CrissCrossMind Back In Black over all punk bands ... CCM
9th January 2008 06:34 AM
corgi37 What the fuck do Americans know about punk? You guys are kidding yourselves. Punk my ass. Yanks are about as punk as Plastic Bertrand.

Go back to Disneyland or re-visit the San Diego zoo. Or maybe join the scouts on a jolly Yellowstone camp. Candy canes at Coney Island? Adidas Romes and flared jeans.

Punk? Dont make me laugh. 6 million dollar man and Carol Burnett Show. Punk? Yeah, Hillary Duff used to wear a CB/GB's t-shirt. Didnt Xtina (or was it Britney?) say "CB/GB's were one of her fave bands"! OMG - Lfmao!

Americans and punk = Devo and Blondie. Or is that Devo and the Cars??? I always get confused. Or was it the Tubes?

The Saints were amongst the 1st - Ever! The real deal. Aussie born and bred. Fucking Yanks and punk.

To quote Ving Rhames from the terrible "Dawn of the dead" remake.

"Fuck Ya'll"!

Yanks and punk? What a joke. What a frigging joke. Spike ya hair and go out for a surf, drive your new car that Mommy and Daddy bought you to school (save Ferris!) get that college degree (Animal House! Boo-yaH!) and work for fucking IBM. Or maybe some upstart called Bill Gates. Windows? How punk!

Yanks and punk. Oh yeah. Johnny Carson, Roll Freddy, roll (look it up!), Cheap Trick, The Gong Show - this is punk!?!?!?!

Yanks and punk? Suck me! It was all Saturday Night Fever, 3 mile island, Sonny & Cher show and the FUCKING EAGLES!!!! LInda Ronstadt for fucks sake!

Punk? No. You guys dont qualify. Aussies do. You guys think the Ramones were punk. Foreigner was hard rock to you Jimmy Carter, Close encounters of the 3rd kind, roller disco fags.

Again i say. LMFAO!!!

And then...You voted for Reagan. How punk! I mean....get real!
9th January 2008 06:58 AM
Ronnie Richards Corgi, I like your style, and what you write here would be true if not for ,,,
The Stooges
Johnny Thunders
Dead Kennedys
and, yeah, the Ramones.

Saying Ramones ain't punk is like saying Stones ain't rock'n'roll.
9th January 2008 02:31 PM
Mr.D

You cant really ask that, cos Heavy Metal, while being a form of punk, was engendered by punk, also but isnt really this wild extreme thing, you need to define it between US and UK punk, US punk, my favourite, is so open and honest, and straight to the point music, like the blues really, like white man's blues, also the stones, johnny cash, bob dylan they're all punks, i think you need to define wat you see as punk, american ''punks'' pati smith, stooges, MC5, dolls, television all amazing, but not really punk, amean theres only one good UKpunk band that got the ethos of kick up a bit of noise, Xray Spex, poly strene hated the whole facile culture of UK punk (''Im a Cliche'') and hated the whole comnericalisation (and if you wanna get into it Americanism) of everything ("The Day the world turned Day-Glo"), but its about anything, and each band had a different feeling, the stooges on each album spoke about something different, the debut the stooges was about boredom, and tho it inspired idiots like john lydon and joe strummer, they only got the message, which was boredom, they never understood that the stooges despite living in the mid west and bored outta their minds, didnt just try this subversion of music or inversion of music but tried to reach new music they listened to alot of world music, and jazz like sun ra, pharoah sanders and john coltrane, their zenith funhouse is a jazz album, a live show lead Miles Davis to call them ''the Shit'', and their last album Raw Power was about reaching the lowest you could possibly reach all but one band members where on heroin and couldnt get fame or recogition, and the MC5 were a band after the psychedelic era's freedom, trans love ideology but with Guevara's ethos of power as a means to an end, but where che believed in military strength, they believed in strength of numbers, and again ,w hile being more Rnb and rock n roll than the stooges, were also jazz friendyl with a live show that ended with people just coming up and playing anything they could lift, and they started heavy metal all the way back in 69, or even as far as 65/66, and the dolls, they inspired all that negative energy that was the pistols, clash etc's motto in the late 70s but really they were a band of enjoyment and youth and chance, they didnt speak of ''No future'' they were saying ''all right, we're junkies, we like gettin pissed, we dont fit into this modern life and society, wat can we do about this?''

all the bands had a different idea and a different message and different ethos punk is so open and free and people cant really see that becos of wat people created from its inspiration and especially all this vacuous apparently ''punk'' music abound at the minute like blink and +44, and green day and all that shit, theres no point and its just actually awful music when you get down to brass tax, but anyway,

US Punk for me! True punk, if you can deny it, can you so easily deny the blues and the stones?
9th January 2008 02:35 PM
Mr.D
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
What the fuck do Americans know about punk? You guys are kidding yourselves. Punk my ass. Yanks are about as punk as Plastic Bertrand.

Go back to Disneyland or re-visit the San Diego zoo. Or maybe join the scouts on a jolly Yellowstone camp. Candy canes at Coney Island? Adidas Romes and flared jeans.

Punk? Dont make me laugh. 6 million dollar man and Carol Burnett Show. Punk? Yeah, Hillary Duff used to wear a CB/GB's t-shirt. Didnt Xtina (or was it Britney?) say "CB/GB's were one of her fave bands"! OMG - Lfmao!

Americans and punk = Devo and Blondie. Or is that Devo and the Cars??? I always get confused. Or was it the Tubes?

The Saints were amongst the 1st - Ever! The real deal. Aussie born and bred. Fucking Yanks and punk.

"Fuck Ya'll"!

Yanks and punk? What a joke. What a frigging joke. Spike ya hair and go out for a surf, drive your new car that Mommy and Daddy bought you to school (save Ferris!) get that college degree (Animal House! Boo-yaH!) and work for fucking IBM. Or maybe some upstart called Bill Gates. Windows? How punk!

Yanks and punk. Oh yeah. Johnny Carson, Roll Freddy, roll (look it up!), Cheap Trick, The Gong Show - this is punk!?!?!?!

Yanks and punk? Suck me! It was all Saturday Night Fever, 3 mile island, Sonny & Cher show and the FUCKING EAGLES!!!! LInda Ronstadt for fucks sake!

Punk? No. You guys dont qualify. Aussies do. You guys think the Ramones were punk. Foreigner was hard rock to you Jimmy Carter, Close encounters of the 3rd kind, roller disco fags.

Again i say. LMFAO!!!

You know not all of the 400 million americans are punk, nor would want to be, US punk is the best, but you are right aussies are punk as well Radio Birdman!! But look back a bit further espeically in places like NEw York, its the best (cept for detroit) but best place for punk, as in consistently changing punk, started with different things like the new york dolls and suicide and television and patti smith, but then changed with hip hop and stuff
9th January 2008 03:33 PM
AmAZZing [img]D:\ÄÀØÀ\ÄÀØÀ\êîíöåðòû 70õ (è 60-õ)[/img] The Rolling Stones is a first punk band in the world!!!!
9th January 2008 03:48 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
What the fuck do Americans know about punk? You guys are kidding yourselves. Punk my ass. Yanks are about as punk as Plastic Bertrand.

"Fuck Ya'll"!

Again i say. LMFAO!!!

Photobucket

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)