ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gottlieb-Daimler Stadion, Stuttgart, Germany - 3rd August 2006
© Stuttgarter Nachrichten with thanks to Helmut!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: David Bowie Appreciation Thread. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
29th December 2007 06:44 AM
Lord (Hetero) Bowie is no musical genius. Doesn't have any of the raw talent of Lennon, Dylan, Keith, Lou. He showed good timing by staying so close to look as if he brought about changes himself.And it was intelligence that made his good songs happen; intelligence that beat up on the talent thing.
Ronson,Eno, Alomar supplied talent. Bowie was very very good, worked up many excellent songs but I just always got the feeling that it was not a God given muse.
29th December 2007 12:41 PM
Sioux Was Bowie androgynous before Marc Bolan? And what about
Brian Jones? Maybe not an androgynous "artist" {as in solo
or primary singer with a band}, but with the androgynous
look? And I'm sure Brian wasn't the first either....just
curious.
29th December 2007 01:16 PM
polytoxic More Bowie YouTube gems:

Bowie wins the Ivor Novello award with Space Oddity 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-BkeDJqUU

Bowie defines glam rock in the Mick Rock directed video for Life On Mars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueUOTImKp0k

Covering the Who's Can't Explain w/ the Spiders 1973,
there's also a completely bizarre cover of I Got You Babe with Marianne Faithfull from the same show you can look up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ATtgGAbUzs

Bowie does an early version of the Fame riff called Footstomping out of his mind on blow 1974. Dick Cavett show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDwfFMVPCG0
29th December 2007 04:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
morocco wrote:
does anyone have any photos of Bowie and keith together?

See how happy is Keith here LOL

From "Images of the World Tour 1989-1990", Magna Books
29th December 2007 04:42 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I love this one, The Ritz, NYC 1983 this is from the sessions mentioned by Gazza.

29th December 2007 04:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOl that picture is at Bob's website in better quality

http://www.bobgruen.com/files/rollingstones/r206.html
29th December 2007 06:08 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Sioux wrote:
Was Bowie androgynous before Marc Bolan? And what about
Brian Jones? Maybe not an androgynous "artist" {as in solo
or primary singer with a band}, but with the androgynous
look? And I'm sure Brian wasn't the first either....just
curious.

Jagger said in a Rollin' Stone interview (Jagger Remembers) that it all started with Elvis, who wore eye make up, Little Richard, & from there it went on, yeah, Bowie was Androgynous before Marc Bolan, in '68 he was that way, as for this thing that Ziggy is a rip-off of Alice Cooper, it's not even close, Bowie was androgynous long before Alice was, & Ziggy is not even close to the Alice character at all.
29th December 2007 06:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl BTW, I have this triptych for sale; don’t remember the author NOW but it’s a well-known professional, it is printed from the original source in very high quality over a museum-quality glossy-paper. If someone wants it please contact me for details.

I bought this to help a friend in real need but I'm sure I will never use it, so I don't want it anymore.

29th December 2007 08:06 PM
Dr Iff I love David Bowie. Love ,love ,love, just love him. He's brilliant musically and verbally. I don't want to sleep with him. Unless he brings his wife...I guess. She's pretty hot. Tough one. So many great songs. Hard to pick favorites. I'll try; Life on Mars, Oh you pretty things, Soul love, All you have to do is ring, Ashes to Ashes. Space oddity has taken forever to get old with me and David's version of 'Let's spend the night Together' is still one of the best covers I've ever heard. The only rival would probably be his other cover, 'Friday on my mind'.
29th December 2007 09:03 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
Lord (Hetero) wrote:
Bowie is no musical genius. Doesn't have any of the raw talent of Lennon, Dylan, Keith, Lou.

THat's "your opinion", not a fact.
Songwriting, lyric-writing and performance is the essential ingredients of "being a musical genius", no ?
By the way, vocals can be counted as an instrument....in case you're speaking of "capability of playing an instrument".
29th December 2007 09:32 PM
LadyJane He's a CLOSE number 2 (Bowie vs Petty) to my Number 2 fav.

Is there a boxed set???
I have a 2 CD Greatest Hits from a couple of years ago and it's really good.

LJ.
29th December 2007 09:37 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Erik_Snow wrote:

THat's "your opinion", not a fact.
Songwriting, lyric-writing and performance is the essential ingredients of "being a musical genius", no ?
By the way, vocals can be counted as an instrument....in case you're speaking of "capability of playing an instrument".

Right on !!!!
29th December 2007 11:05 PM
guitarman53

Androgynous Bowie
[Edited by guitarman53]
30th December 2007 02:03 AM
glencar
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I love this one, The Ritz, NYC 1983 this is from the sessions mentioned by Gazza.

WHO'S THAT WOMAN?
30th December 2007 06:04 AM
GotToRollMe Life is a pop of the cherry, when you're a boy:

30th December 2007 06:04 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Well now.....

Photobucket

EXACTLY!
30th December 2007 06:07 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Moonage Daydream
Mick Ronson was the nazz....

...with God-given azz...
30th December 2007 06:19 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
I love this one, The Ritz, NYC 1983 this is from the sessions mentioned by Gazza.

I know Gruen has it tagged as Ritz '83, but that looks like it's from the 1980 ER Danceteria party, Voo. Keith has the same bottle of Jack Daniels, clothes, hair, and...er..."look." LOL.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
30th December 2007 10:12 AM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

I know Gruen has it tagged as Ritz '83, but that looks like it's from the 1980 ER Danceteria party, Voo. Keith has the same bottle of Jack Daniels, clothes, hair, and...er..."look." LOL.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

There's definitely a series of photos taken from a Tina Turner show, though. One of them taken during the show itself of Bowie and Keith (presumably in some VIP area) sitting watching the gig. I think they may even have been published in Beggars Banquet around that time.

If thats the ER party, dont you think Bowie looks a bit too well wrapped up for an event which took place in June? It also looks more like the 'Lets dance' era look than his 'Scary Monsters' one...
[Edited by Gazza]
30th December 2007 10:15 AM
Lord (Hetero)
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
He's a CLOSE number 2 (Bowie vs Petty) to my Number 2 fav.

Is there a boxed set???
I have a 2 CD Greatest Hits from a couple of years ago and it's really good.

LJ.

There is a really well done Box Set called "Sound And Vision". I am not sure why an artist of Bowie's stature didn't see more publicity for this Box, since it is (once again) really well done. The material covers entire career, the must-haves are all there, but the research done for the rare stuff, alternate versions, demos etc is excellent. And leave it to Bowie to present it all in very chic wrappings.
At first I also had the 2CD set, but it drove me crazy that some of the songs were edited. I think "Heroes" was one of them. When listening to "Heroes" I have to savor every verse; so when a rude jump like that happens it throws off my whole day.
[Edited by Lord (Hetero)]
30th December 2007 12:01 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

LOL the same bottle of Jaxx Daniels LOLOLOLOL probably that day it was the third

Same clothes LOLOLOLOL (probably the same underwear too)

Hair it was the same during those days, after all it is only three years later

Yes as you mention if we see the scan I made from a 1983 Creem Magazine AND the information at Bob Gruen's website it is from the Tina Turner gig at the Ritz, NYC in 1983

30th December 2007 12:43 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Lord (Hetero) wrote:

There is a really well done Box Set called "Sound And Vision". I am not sure why an artist of Bowie's stature didn't see more publicity for this Box, since it is (once again) really well done. The material covers entire career, the must-haves are all there, but the research done for the rare stuff, alternate versions, demos etc is excellent. And leave it to Bowie to present it all in very chic wrappings.
At first I also had the 2CD set, but it drove me crazy that some of the songs were edited. I think "Heroes" was one of them. When listening to "Heroes" I have to savor every verse; so when a rude jump like that happens it throws off my whole day.
[Edited by Lord (Hetero)]

I've got that box set, well done, & I hate edited versions, like "Heroes" I'm so used to the full version, when it's cut-off, it really throws me off, I like his version of Bruce Springsteen "It's Hard to be a saint in the city" bowie once said there's a picture of him & Bruce during this era, & he looks like he's a wax figure ( because of his coke use, he weighed something like 99 Lbs)
30th December 2007 01:31 PM
Navin http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/people/p-bowie.php
30th December 2007 01:36 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

There's definitely a series of photos taken from a Tina Turner show, though. One of them taken during the show itself of Bowie and Keith (presumably in some VIP area) sitting watching the gig. I think they may even have been published in Beggars Banquet around that time.

If thats the ER party, dont you think Bowie looks a bit too well wrapped up for an event which took place in June? It also looks more like the 'Lets dance' era look than his 'Scary Monsters' one...
[Edited by Gazza]

quote:

LOL the same bottle of Jaxx Daniels LOLOLOLOL probably that day it was the third

Same clothes LOLOLOLOL (probably the same underwear too)

Hair it was the same during those days, after all it is only three years later

Yes as you mention if we see the scan I made from a 1983 Creem Magazine AND the information at Bob Gruen's website it is from the Tina Turner gig at the Ritz, NYC in 1983

Okay, okay, I'm clearly outmanned here, and by two-thirds of the Trinity no less! I still think it looks like the same outfit as the ER '80 party - although I have heard that Keith has a penchant for, um - how to put this delicately - wearing his clothes 'til they're ready to walk off on their own? LMAO!

In any event, nice pics, Voo. Never seen those before!
30th December 2007 03:24 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Another source confirming that was at the Ritz in NYC on Thursday February 3, 1983: Beggars Banquet - No. 30 Feb-March 1983. There are two DIFFERENT picture in that issue of BB and if someone wants it that's the only pre-official available, click HERE for details
30th December 2007 03:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
glencar wrote:
WHO'S THAT WOMAN?

Tina Turner
30th December 2007 03:55 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The chameleon's changesthreebowie

30th December 2007 04:49 PM
guitarman53

Bowie at the Grammy Awards in '75, so high on coke, he doesn't even remember being there.
30th December 2007 05:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I've got that box set, well done, & I hate edited versions, like "Heroes" I'm so used to the full version, when it's cut-off, it really throws me off, I like his version of Bruce Springsteen "It's Hard to be a saint in the city" bowie once said there's a picture of him & Bruce during this era, & he looks like he's a wax figure ( because of his coke use, he weighed something like 99 Lbs)

he's not far wrong, either. I would guess that of the 99 lbs, about ten of them would be the cap.

The guy in the middle is Ed Sciaky, a Philly DJ who was an early champion of Bruce's music. Presumably this photo comes from the 'Young Americans' sessions which were recorded in Philadelphia (and which featured a couple of Bruce covers).

One of the men in this photo is now dead. Amazingly, it's not the one on the left.
[Edited by Gazza]
30th December 2007 05:37 PM
guitarman53 Thank you Gazza for that picture, I never seen this before.
Page: 1 2 3 4

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)