ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gottlieb-Daimler Stadion, Stuttgart, Germany - 3rd August 2006
© Stuttgarter Nachrichten with thanks to Helmut!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: David Bowie Appreciation Thread. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
28th December 2007 02:48 PM
robpop I remember a Bowie interview years ago (about the time of Tin Machine), in which Bowie stated that Let's Dance was done solely for financial gain. He mentioned that he regretted it. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.
[Edited by robpop]
28th December 2007 02:54 PM
Gazza He did? Maybe he needed the money, then.

Odd choice of material then, as only 5 of the 8 songs on it are new - one cover (Criminal World), one rerecording of a co-written single from 18 months earlier (Cat People) and a cover of an old Iggy song that he co-wrote (China Girl)
[Edited by Gazza]
28th December 2007 02:55 PM
glencar I recall that to. He stiffed Jeff Beck on that Let's Dance tour too.
28th December 2007 02:58 PM
Sioux
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

rebel rebel has one of the best keith riffs that he never wrote

And, my favorite Bowie song...

Love "Under Pressure" too---collaboration with Queen.
[Edited by Sioux]
28th December 2007 03:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I recall that to. He stiffed Jeff Beck on that Let's Dance tour too.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, surely?

Vaughan played on the album and was present at the early rehearsals, before quitting over disagreements over money and his desire to have his own band as opening act, I thought. Earl Slick replaced him.

Beck was meant to tour with Jagger in 1988 but quit because he wasnt offered enough dough, didnt he?
28th December 2007 03:04 PM
Nellcote SRV is correct.
28th December 2007 03:06 PM
robpop
quote:
glencar wrote:
I recall that to. He stiffed Jeff Beck on that Let's Dance tour too.

I'm glad you remember that also. I'm trying to find that interview.

At least he invested his money wisely after that.
[Edited by robpop]
28th December 2007 03:09 PM
PartyDoll MEG Twas Stevie Ray not Jeff Beck..like Gazza and Nelly said..
28th December 2007 03:29 PM
glencar nah nah hey hey!
28th December 2007 03:30 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I think the inclusion of several Iggy-penned (or co-written) songs on "Lets Dance" and "Tonight" were motivated by a desire to help Iggy out financially, weren't they? So, I'm not personally so sure that his desire to cash in during the 80's was as blatant as Jizzy suggests - more a case of his muse going askew.

Yes, most notably "China Girl," but there was also "Tonight" and "Neighborhood Threat" (which also appeared on Iggy's "Lust For Life"). Not sure what his motivations were, but they certainly gave Iggy a boost. I can't help but respect the guy for not having a ton of cosmetic surgery done, too. I thought he'd be the most likely candidate for the Dorian Gray award, but he's apparently going au naturel, and more power to him.

28th December 2007 03:31 PM
glencar Mick's pretty clean too, no?
28th December 2007 03:38 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
glencar wrote:
Mick's pretty clean too, no?

Hmmm...relatively, I guess...lol
28th December 2007 03:58 PM
gimmekeef Jeff Beck has baled on lots of guys..including Rod Stewart on the third show or so of a tour in 84 I think...But the Thin Dukes cheapness is legendary
28th December 2007 03:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Yes, most notably "China Girl," but there was also "Tonight" and "Neighborhood Threat" (which also appeared on Iggy's "Lust For Life"). Not sure what his motivations were, but they certainly gave Iggy a boost.

There's 3 other songs on 'Tonight' which are co written by Iggy as well. A cover of 'Dont look Down', plus 'Tumble & Twirl' and 'Dancing with The Big Boys'...think the last two were 'new' songs though, werent they?
28th December 2007 08:44 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

There's 3 other songs on 'Tonight' which are co written by Iggy as well. A cover of 'Dont look Down', plus 'Tumble & Twirl' and 'Dancing with The Big Boys'...think the last two were 'new' songs though, werent they?

Yep, new songs written just for "Tonight." I know it's kinda schmaltzy, but I always liked his cover of "God Only Knows" on that one too.
28th December 2007 09:11 PM
glencar Schmaltzy! Very! I do like that title song quite a bit.
28th December 2007 09:16 PM
guitarman53

[Edited by guitarman53]
28th December 2007 09:44 PM
Moledmc Bowie thread! Hearing Ziggy for the first time for me is up there with hearing Exile and Miles Davis in terms of life changing music. Bowie was all mullets and Pepsi adverts in the 80's, but he makes up for that in this:

Photobucket
28th December 2007 11:10 PM
GotToRollMe I'm stuck with a valuable friend...

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
28th December 2007 11:13 PM
GotToRollMe Jonny's an American...

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
28th December 2007 11:22 PM
GotToRollMe
28th December 2007 11:48 PM
sweetcharmedlife Love Bowie. Caught him about 3,4 years ago at the Berkeley Community theatre. One of my top 10 shows ever.
As for great guitarists playing with Bowie,what about Mick Ronson? Pretty damn good in his own right.
28th December 2007 11:57 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:
Love Bowie. Caught him about 3,4 years ago at the Berkeley Community theatre. One of my top 10 shows ever.
As for great guitarists playing with Bowie,what about Mick Ronson? Pretty damn good in his own right.

Ronson was one of the jewels in Bowie's crown. A great guitar player.
28th December 2007 11:57 PM
TampabayStone Great UTubes!!! I knew those songs but did not really know what he looked like from Thin Duke to Let's Dance era.. What a fucking freak!!
29th December 2007 12:23 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

What a fucking freak!!

My kinda guy!
29th December 2007 12:37 AM
Nellcote Moonage Daydream
Mick Ronson was the nazz....

29th December 2007 12:45 AM
Nellcote Starman-BBC '72

For me, this era Bowie is difficult to beat....
29th December 2007 12:49 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

My kinda guy!

Well now.....

Photobucket
29th December 2007 01:10 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I liked his very next single, which was the Cat People single

Man, I was in about 9th grade when that came out.

I love the movie (although, I have not seen it in about 20years)
Photobucket

I love the song

And I would ride my bike to the mall just to look at this poster. Yep, good times..

Photobucket
29th December 2007 05:30 AM
Jumping Jack Ziggy - a complete ripoff of Alice Cooper
Page: 1 2 3 4

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)