ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gottlieb-Daimler Stadion, Stuttgart, Germany - 3rd August 2006
© Stuttgarter Nachrichten with thanks to Helmut!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: David Bowie Appreciation Thread. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
27th December 2007 05:52 PM
guitarman53 Since there's so many Appreciation Thread's, how about one for David Bowie? he is totally a original (Just ask Alice Cooper) & he was the first for androgynous artists, the first time in '71, I brought home a album called "Hunky Dory" my Mother (who has long ago passed away) thought Bowie was a girl, she thought that Alice Cooper was a guy with a girl's name , she thought Bowie was a girl with a guy's name) & that won my heart forever, that's real rock 'N' Roll rebel, Bowie is more talented then 10 bands put together, his Ziggy Stardust is one of the greats of all time, his addiction to Cocaine is even more then Keith's addiction to Heroin, he (Bowie) doesn't remember 2 years of his life in L.A. in '74 & 75, he doesn't even remember making the movie "The Man Who Fell To Earth" he was so out of it on Cocaine, but he made fantastic music, Young Americans & Station to Station, it's remarkable how the man could do it, he weighed 100 Lbs, he stayed up for as long as 7 days, he once said The Stones were floored bu this, when they met again, he still didn't sleep.
But of course he cleaned up, & never went back to drugs, he's happilied married to Iman (the fashion model) today, & he's busy staying with his daughter, trying to be a dad, & staying away from the music business, even if he retired, his legend will live on, how come The Stones can't do this?
27th December 2007 06:03 PM
Nellcote Bowie Rocks.
The Spiders ruled then, rule now.
Photos exist of my hair as Ziggy, back in '72, it's true!
27th December 2007 06:08 PM
morocco does anyone have any photos of Bowie and keith together?
27th December 2007 06:53 PM
guitarman53
quote:
morocco wrote:
does anyone have any photos of Bowie and keith together?

I've got one in some book, but i've got so many, I can't find it at this time, but it was taken during the Serious Moonlight tour era.
27th December 2007 08:09 PM
morocco It'd be great if Keith guested on guitar on one of Bowie's songs.
27th December 2007 08:27 PM
guitarman53 Yeah, I know what you mean, Jeff Beck did, & he had some of the greatest guitarist in his band, including Stevie Ray Vaughn.
27th December 2007 08:32 PM
ShaneJazz Always wanted to hear the Stones try to tackle Jean Jeanie.
27th December 2007 09:31 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
morocco wrote:
It'd be great if Keith guested on guitar on one of Bowie's songs.

rebel rebel has one of the best keith riffs that he never wrote
27th December 2007 10:14 PM
guitarman53
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

rebel rebel has one of the best keith riffs that he never wrote

If you want to hear where this comes from, listen to the main riff of "Please Please me" by the Beatles, it's the same song with some changes.
27th December 2007 10:25 PM
Prodigal Son Station to Station=his best. As good as glam Bowie was, he was a bit kitschy at times for me. But STS was good ol' paranoid artsy dance funk. He would do some good stuff later on, but STS is his masterwork for me. The 80s are best forgotten altogether for him. His solo career then looked almost as bad as Mick's (sans Wandering Spirit).
27th December 2007 10:36 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Station to Station=his best. As good as glam Bowie was, he was a bit kitschy at times for me. But STS was good ol' paranoid artsy dance funk. He would do some good stuff later on, but STS is his masterwork for me. The 80s are best forgotten altogether for him. His solo career then looked almost as bad as Mick's (sans Wandering Spirit).

I totally agree, in the 80's Bowie become a mainstream artist, like Phil collins or any other commerical artist from that era, he was cashing in on his popularity, but he even said that this was his worst period of time, and as far as his artistic talents were concerened, it went right out of the window.
27th December 2007 11:38 PM
BILL PERKS I SAW HIM ON GLASS SPIDER IN 87-IT ROCKED!
27th December 2007 11:40 PM
robpop Bowie probably quit touring because he makes a lot more money off of his investments than he would touring. One of the few rock stars who could claim that.
27th December 2007 11:44 PM
glencar That Tin Machine crap really hurt his career. Now he's just an old dude.
27th December 2007 11:50 PM
robpop I believe Howard Stern called it "Stupid Machine".
28th December 2007 12:30 AM
guitarman53
quote:
robpop wrote:
I believe Howard Stern called it "Stupid Machine".

Tin Machine was when he wanted to be a part of a band again, instead of David Bowie rock star, he wanted to get rid of this mainstream rock idol bullshit, that happened on the Glass Spider tour, he just wanted to form a band with the rhythm section of Iggy pop's old band & just be a member of a band, as for Howard Stern remark, he remind's me of these talentless people on talk T.V. that comes on every day at 11:00 a.m., I cant's remember the name of the show right now, but it's 4 ladies who say their comments on the latest news, & it's called The View.
28th December 2007 10:02 AM
glencar I know what Bowie *wanted* to do with Tin Machine but it still sucked. And whilst I don't believe Howard Stern is ANYTHING like Joy Behar & her ilk, the snarkfest is the general trend in media. He was around years before those ladies.
28th December 2007 12:11 PM
TomL I would like to see Bowie tour again.
28th December 2007 12:28 PM
nanatod
quote:
glencar wrote:
I know what Bowie *wanted* to do with Tin Machine but it still sucked.

I never had the album. But I did see Tin Machine in concert.

And, glencar you are right. Tin Machine sucked big time.
28th December 2007 12:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
morocco wrote:
does anyone have any photos of Bowie and keith together?

You should be able to find a few of them together at a Tina Turner gig in New York (Tramps, I think) in the early 80s..

In the meantime, does THIS count? LOL

[Edited by Gazza]
28th December 2007 01:01 PM
glencar
quote:
nanatod wrote:

I never had the album. But I did see Tin Machine in concert.

And, glencar you are right. Tin Machine sucked big time.

Thank you, nanatod! It's good to see you posting again!
28th December 2007 01:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I SAW HIM ON GLASS SPIDER IN 87-IT ROCKED!

The sight of the great David Bowie descending to the stage at the start of the show from the arse of a spider is an image that caused me sleepless nights for years.

A classic "jump the shark" moment.
28th December 2007 01:23 PM
glencar That CD was poorly rated also...
28th December 2007 01:26 PM
Gazza 'Never Let Me Down' ? Yeah...like most of his post Scary Monsters output, its patchy but has a few good moments.
28th December 2007 01:27 PM
glencar I bought it as a cut-out. The store I bought it in actually cut into the jewel case this way I'm always reminded that I have an actual cut-out!
28th December 2007 01:40 PM
lotsajizz 'Scary Monsters' was the peak...the last tour and album were a big step up from recent years however....
28th December 2007 01:52 PM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
'Scary Monsters' was the peak

Yep.
28th December 2007 02:12 PM
lotsajizz I liked his very next single, which was the Cat People single--'Putting Out The Fire (With Gasoline)'. That's why Let's Dance was such a shocking disappointment. He had been on such a roll.....
however, if his desire was to cash in, he undoubtedly suceeded.....
28th December 2007 02:13 PM
GotToRollMe The man is a musical genius. True, his output post-"Scary Monsters" has been spotty at best, but when he hits the mark he really hits it. Everything from the first album through Scary Monsters (including a great live double album) was incredible. He's also a clever performance artist and a pretty good actor. And let's not forget he was the man who saved Iggy when he hit the skids and produced three landmark albums for him. Not too shabby.
28th December 2007 02:40 PM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
The man is a musical genius. True, his output post-"Scary Monsters" has been spotty at best, but when he hits the mark he really hits it. Everything from the first album through Scary Monsters (including a great live double album) was incredible. He's also a clever performance artist and a pretty good actor. And let's not forget he was the man who saved Iggy when he hit the skids and produced three landmark albums for him. Not too shabby.

I think the inclusion of several Iggy-penned (or co-written) songs on "Lets Dance" and "Tonight" were motivated by a desire to help Iggy out financially, weren't they? So, I'm not personally so sure that his desire to cash in during the 80's was as blatant as Jizzy suggests - more a case of his muse going askew.
Page: 1 2 3 4

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)