ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gottlieb-Daimler Stadion, Stuttgart, Germany - 3rd August 2006
© Stuttgarter Nachrichten with thanks to Helmut!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "It's Only Rock'n Roll" Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
27th December 2007 10:54 AM
GotToRollMe This is one of my top 10 Stones albums. I could never understand how so many Stones fans could just dismiss it out of hand. How can ya go wrong with a tracklist like this?

If You Can't Rock Me
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Till The Next Goodbye
Time Waits For No One
Luxury
Dance Little Sister
If You Really Want To Be My Friend
Short And Curlies
Fingerprint File

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
27th December 2007 11:09 AM
Nellcote Great thread.
I recall those golden days of yesteryear, when the IORR single was leaked to WBCN in Bahston, how we all thought it was such cool tuneage! That the B side would be a non lp track, ah those were the days....Wyman on synth on File, back in the day, synth was so new. Aint Too Proud Too Beg, just the best. Always had heard Drift Away was recorded, and left off for Beg, was not till years later that I had heard that, again, a great cut. Time was such a majestic piece, a great way for Taylor to leave. Back in the day....
27th December 2007 11:12 AM
robpop If You Really Want To Be My Friend IMO is their best ballads. This song should have been given airplay or at least played live.
27th December 2007 11:22 AM
Nellcote I picked up Rock Dreams by Guy Peellaert after the IORR cover, as well as Diamond Dogs. Great book...

http://www.guypeellaert.com/guy.html
27th December 2007 11:30 AM
Lil Brian Fingerprint File is probably more relevent now than back in '74. Can you feel your personal privacy rights disappearing? I think I can. Whoops, there went another one...
27th December 2007 11:34 AM
voodoopug This is one of my favorite albums, it flows very smooth when listening to it from front to back and has some very strong album tracks. FF has always been a favorite of mine while Time Waits For No One is the one song I'd pick for them to play live now that we haven't heard yet.
27th December 2007 11:41 AM
mojoman bubblebath?
27th December 2007 11:42 AM
voodoopug
quote:
mojoman wrote:
bubblebath?

I always enjoy watching the interviews the band gave discussing that they forgot that Charlie would be sitting down and the bubbles would completely overtake him. Funny stuff.
27th December 2007 11:50 AM
Some Guy I was playing this as I was driving around doing last minute Christmas shopping.
27th December 2007 12:21 PM
gimmekeef Always thought the huge miss on this album was not including "Drift Away"...I firmly believe at that time it would have been a number one hit....
27th December 2007 02:36 PM
texile
quote:
robpop wrote:
If You Really Want To Be My Friend IMO is their best ballads. This song should have been given airplay or at least played live.

agree -
great song......dramatic, yet intimate at the same time -
love the blue magic background vocals.
it's a gem.
27th December 2007 03:36 PM
pdog
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Always thought the huge miss on this album was not including "Drift Away"...I firmly believe at that time it would have been a number one hit....

didn't somebody else release a version of it around he same time, so they bailed on it for that reason...

Dobie, right?

27th December 2007 03:39 PM
Nellcote If I'm correct, Dobie Gray wrote it.
Rod Stewart released it on his lp Atlantic Crossing, released near to the same period, which I always
thought was the reason why the Stones passed on it...
27th December 2007 04:14 PM
glencar Not one of my faves but it's still awesome because it's the Stones. I shall play it post-haste!
27th December 2007 04:24 PM
ebmp Great album

The title song is great, so is If You Can't rock me. Till the next goodbye, Time waits for no one and If you really want to be my friend are great ballads

In fact, the only 70's album I don't care much for is Black and Blues. And even that one has its gems
27th December 2007 04:27 PM
glencar
quote:
ebmp wrote:
Great album

In fact, the only 70's album I don't care much for is Black and Blues. And even that one has its gems

Yes, fewer gems than any of the others but still some gems all the same.
27th December 2007 04:34 PM
Throwaway
quote:
texile wrote:

agree -
great song......dramatic, yet intimate at the same time -
love the blue magic background vocals.
it's a gem.

You two are beautiful..off this album I play IYRWTBMF and Dance Little Sister the most, but I prefer to play it all the way through - no filler at all
27th December 2007 05:11 PM
polytoxic So many highlights on this one. When Charlie's high hat kicks in on Fingerprint File, it's funk heaven. And Jagger's rap encapsulates 70's coke paranoia perfectly. Probably the only real snoozer for me is If You Really Want To Be My Friend, but then Philly Soul wasn't quite my thing. The breakdown on If You Can't Rock Me has some of the sickest bass...ever, and is just the kind of little touch that's gone missing now that the Stones don't create songs from studio jams anymore. IORR is still a gas and I just read in Ronnie's book that Bowie is doing the "only rock n roll" backing vox towards the end there. Some of Taylor's sweetest runs on this one too. This LP is not be trifled with.
27th December 2007 07:13 PM
Jaggedblues I really should dust off IORR and revisit it. I'm willing to bet it's been at least 2 years since I last listened to it. I listen to boots so much that I sometimes forget the official releases even exist.

IORR is a fine album. Obviously it's not the highwater mark of the MT era but it definitely has some great songs on it. Fingerprint File, Till The Next Goodbye and If You Can't Rock Me are my favorites from it. Although IMO all the songs on it are pretty great except for Luxury and Short & Curlies which are pretty good.
29th December 2007 12:47 PM
Some Guy So damn good that Dance Little Sister needs it's own petition to be played on the B stage thread.
30th December 2007 12:16 PM
Egbert Definitely second half (6-10) of Top 10 material
30th December 2007 03:24 PM
duck
30th December 2007 03:40 PM
lotsajizz Great album, but has TWFNO--which is too mellow and minor key and has some of Mick's most inspid lyrics...
31st December 2007 12:47 AM
Bitch IF YOU CANT ROCK ME, somebody will. Yuh-huh, great classic Stones line!

TILL THE NEXT TIME, that we kiss goodnight (drink)
I'll be thinkin of youuuuuuu. Absolutely beautiful!!

I KNOW,IT' ONLY YOUR ASSHOLE, but I like it like it, yes I do! Just a little chant that we sing when overintoxicated! Its fvckin funny!
31st December 2007 06:57 AM
speedfreakjive IORR is cool - but IMHO tails off after the first third.
IYCRM is one of their best opening tracks
31st December 2007 09:16 AM
Honky Tonk Man It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll is one of several Stones albums which I don’t have a particular opinion on. They’re there, they get an annual spin in the CD player, but that’s it as far as thought goes. It’s a MOR album that doesn’t mean anything. A few decent tracks and not a lot else.
31st December 2007 11:11 AM
Gazza Never cared for "If You Really Want To Be My Friend", "Til The Next Goodbye" is just OK and "Short & Curlies" is funny the first time around, but fortgettable otherwise.

Love the rest of it, though. It may have been played a bit to death in concert, but the last couple of minutes of the studio version of the title track is one of my favourite ever Stones moments. They seem to go off the beat and the whole thing sounds like it could fall apart at any given time, but it somehow hangs together and the guitar duel is absolutely glorious. They couldn't replicate that in another take or a live performance no matter how hard they try. It's like a beautiful accident.
31st December 2007 12:45 PM
robpop
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Never cared for "If You Really Want To Be My Friend",

I could see your point. I really like that song though. I think it has to due with the fact that it brings back a lot of good memories.
31st December 2007 01:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
robpop wrote:

I could see your point. I really like that song though. I think it has to due with the fact that it brings back a lot of good memories.

That probably explains it, then. When it came out, I was 11 years old and hated all my friends.
31st December 2007 01:41 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Never cared for "If You Really Want To Be My Friend", "Til The Next Goodbye" is just OK and "Short & Curlies" is funny the first time around, but fortgettable otherwise.

Love the rest of it, though. It may have been played a bit to death in concert, but the last couple of minutes of the studio version of the title track is one of my favourite ever Stones moments. They seem to go off the beat and the whole thing sounds like it could fall apart at any given time, but it somehow hangs together and the guitar duel is absolutely glorious. They couldn't replicate that in another take or a live performance no matter how hard they try. It's like a beautiful accident.

See, "If You Really Want To Be My Friend" and "Till The Next Goodbye" are two of my favorites. I agree with you on "Short And Curlies" though. In fact, "S&C" is the only song I'm not that crazy about. This is one of those albums I play all the way through. I know exactly what you mean about the end of "IORR" - nicely put.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)