ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Masons Yard 1965
© Gered Mankowitz from the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who is Hubert Sumlin (guest guitarist tonight MSG)? Return to archive
01-16-03 09:51 PM
Angiegirl So, anyone that knows who he is? He is guest starring on Let it bleed tonight at MSG.

I read it on Shidoobee, where the setlist is coming in slowly. This is what they got so far:

1. Street Fighting Man
2. Start Me Up
3. If You Can't Rock Me
4. Don't Stop
5. Monkey Man
6. Angie
7. Let It Bleed (with guest guitar player-Hubert Sumlin)
8. Live With Me
9. Midnight Rambler
10. Tumblin' Dice

Introductions

11. Slippin' Away
12. Before they Make Me Run
13. Gimme Shelter
14. You Got Me Rocking
15. Can't You Hear Me Knocking!
16. Honky Tonk Women
17. Satisfaction

Angiegirl
[Edited by Angiegirl]
01-16-03 09:55 PM
Nellcote www.hubertsumlin.com.

Guitarist for Howlin Wolf, played on many of Wolf's classics, Little Red Rooster, Down in the Bottom, Wang Dang Doodle, among others. He's quite good. Leave it to the Stones to pay homage again to their roots! Now, if they can help Hubert get e record deal, there's a complete album in the can, with Keith & Clapton on it that's supposed to be wicked pissa!
01-16-03 10:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl That's super cool!!! He has one studio album pending "Hubert plays Muddy" or "Them Shoes", with Keith playing. This is a picture from the sessions

01-16-03 10:38 PM
Angiegirl Cool, love Wolf.
And where is Sumlin in the pic?
BTW: who's that guy, third from left, who's wearing my X-pensive Winos t-shirt, huh???

[Edited by Angiegirl]
01-16-03 10:40 PM
Nellcote Poor guy is the one with the microphone across his face...
01-16-03 11:29 PM
~AzQb a a a hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The "secret's" out

~RoTfLmAo~!

01-17-03 12:14 AM
FPM C10 WOW!

....why didn't they play a Wolf tune?

.........will he be on the HBO show?

01-17-03 12:58 AM
Sir Stonesalot I got a question about that pic of the Hubert sessions.

Why are there so many white guys? Where are all the "brothers"?

Don't black people play blues anymore?
01-17-03 11:07 AM
Mathijs Sumlin is also the guitarist behind Muddy Waters on most of Muddy's 50's and 60's albums.

By the way, isn't it time for keith to change shirts?

Mathijs
01-17-03 02:32 PM
Gazza AzQb~!!

Damn!! you kept THAT quiet! I know you said he was gonna see Keith in the same week as the NY shows but didn't know it was gonna be in front of 20,000 people!

Great to hear that your good pal Hubert is this year's "pay back" winner for the PPV show

Always good to see the Stones acknowledging their influences - nice one,lads...
01-17-03 03:35 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Sumlin is also the guitarist behind Muddy Waters on most of Muddy's 50's and 60's albums.

Mathijs

No, he's not. Muddy worked with a bunch of different guitarists, among them Buddy Guy and Bob Margolin, but Hubert's experience with Muddy was limited to a few weeks of road work.

That doesn't change my opinion of Hubert as THE unsung guitar hero of the past 50 years! His work with the Wolf is monumental. His influence on guitarists from Hendrix and Clapton on down is well documented.

I can't wait to hear a boot of "Let It Bleed" from last night.
01-17-03 04:06 PM
Factory Girl Annie, were you at the MSG show?

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST