ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Masons Yard 1965
© Gered Mankowitz from the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who played what? Return to archive
01-16-03 05:36 AM
beer Okay, two songs: "Ventilator Blues, and "Let It Loose".

Who played the main guitar part on "Let It Loose"? sometimes I am convinced it's Taylor, sometimes I'm convinced it's Keith. As of right now, I think it was Keith. Only because I hear similar traces of "Love In Vain", and "I got The Blues",in it, which were certainly Keith.

Then There is "Ventilator Blues". Since it's a slide riff, my first guess was Taylor. But when ya listen to the live '72 version, The slide riff plays on, while a Taylor-sounding solo happens, meaning it must be Keith playing the slide riff while Taylor does the solo?

I think??

Can anyone give a definite answer?
01-16-03 07:01 AM
JumpinJackFlash I have the tab book for "Exile", I'll have to look, it tell's you who is playing what. I do remember that it is an open d or g tuning. Most of the album is in open with capo's all over the place.
01-16-03 08:57 AM
sammy davis jr. Keith is definitely playing the main leslie-effected guitar part in Let It Loose, and I believe its Keith as well playing the rythymn guitar in open G on Ventilator Blues. Mick T is playing all the leads of course.
01-17-03 03:20 AM
beer I'm thinkin you're right Sammy. I was pretty sure but not positive. Mathijs would probably know the details.
Damn, Exile is such a masterpiece! It's gotta be the greatest rock-n-roll album of all time! It touches all the bases musically and covers every mood too. No other band could, or ever will, be able to pull that off. Hard rockers, slow blues, country, ballads, even voodoo stuff(Just wanna see his face)!!
By far the best album I've ever heard.
01-17-03 04:52 AM
Mathijs The Leslie guitar on Let it Loose is by Keith, but I am sure he knicked it from Taylor! The second chord (after the D) is a Cadd11 like chord, which is so typically NOT Keith to come up with, and Taylor uses it quite frequently during his Billy Preston gigs in 1973. But on Let it Loose, as far as I can tell, Mick Taylor is completely absent. The phrasing on the E and D chords is typically Keith, in a style he would later use on tracks like Beast of Burden. When asked in 2001, Taylor did say he was the one who played the intro of Let it Loose, but he smiled in a "of course not" way. During the Dallas Rehearsels in 1972, Keith can be heard going over and over the main pattern in order to get it right (which he never does).

The main riff of Ventilator Blues is done by Keith, but written by Taylor. It's Keith's aggressive attack that's the give away, and Taylor said in a 1979 Guitar Player interview that they had done 20 takes of the track during the night with him doing the main riff, but he found out that Keith had over dubbed it when Taylor came back to the basement the next morning.

Mathijs

01-17-03 05:45 AM
beer Thanks Mathijs. That's what i was trying to comprehend. Some of the parts on "Let It Loose" are so typically Keith, but then there are certain little things that made me wonder. Because they aren't like anything Keith ever plays, EVER!

So I bet you're right, Keith probably did knick bits and pieces of it off of Taylor.
The phrasing of it really reminds me of "I Got The Blues", but with the little extras thrown in that most likely came from Taylor's style of playing, That Keith probably picked up at Nellcote?

--------------------------

Oh yeah, another thing, Keith is on the cover of this months issue of "Acoustic Guitar Player" Magazine. I think that's the name of it anyway. I looked through it really quickly at the store. No interview but details on some classics from the '68- '69 era.
[Edited by beer]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST