ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Masons Yard 1965
© Gered Mankowitz from the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Question for Stones' Scholars.... Return to archive
01-15-03 09:13 PM
Mickjagger1963 Obviously Stones are and always will be my favorite band, however The grateful dead, especially after seeing them this fall, have become a strong number 2. Now I know the Dead do their share of Stones covers, and Ive heard that the whole Altamont Hells Angels thing was Jerry Garcia's idea, but other than that, Can anyone give me any stories, pics, etc. about the relationship if any between the Stones and the Dead...
01-15-03 10:07 PM
Mickjagger1963 Anybody?!....
01-15-03 10:10 PM
gypsymofo60 Yeah! - Rock Scully was one of many who laid all the blame for Altamont at the feet of The Stones, another hysterical, handwringing, "Oh! the sixties are dead" pains in the arse.
01-15-03 10:14 PM
100 Years Ago "New Speedway Boogie" is about Altamont from the Dead's POV, the irony is they try to blame the Stones for what happened yet they try to ape the Stone's style throughout the song, not vocally, but musically
01-15-03 10:37 PM
Maxlugar You saw the Dead THIS fall as in the Fall that just past?????

WITHOUT JERRY GARCIA????

And even after this, they are your second favorite band????

You make Maxy say "Huh?".

Macksee!
01-15-03 10:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Mick Taylor was a guest of the Dead at the MSG September 24, 1988 Benefit show for Greenpeace and Rainforest, he plays in Little Red rooster and West LA Fadeaway.

Cover by the Dead: Wild Horses, The Last time and Satisfaction in studio albums, plus some more live.

Both bands have covered Not Fade Away, Little Red Rooster, and some more.

Mick Taylor told me about some jams with the Dead and Hendrix, check this site for more: http://www.albec.net.mx/personales/rocksoff/jimi.htm

Cover by Jerry García: Let’s Spend the Nigh Together.
Jerry and the Stones had Merry Clayton in their studio albums.

In the album "Chance in a Million" by Zero, Nicky plays piano for the lyrics written by Robert Hunter.

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
01-15-03 10:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot I always wondered how the Dead squirmed out of any blame for Altamont. It was the Dead who told the Stones that the Hell's Angels were OK, and that they had used their services before.

Not only that, but the crowd became further agitated when the Dead decided not to play! It is quite possible that Jerry and the boys very well could have reigned the Angels back in. Jerry was one of the very few who had the charisma, intelligence, and credibility, to pull it off. But instead, they bolted.

I know hindsight is 20/20, and that at the time the Dead thought that livin' to fight another day was the thing to do. But throwin' the Stones to the wolves was just wrong. Especially when part of the mess was created by the Dead themselves.

BTW, the Dead aren't the Dead without Jerry. That's like sayin' that the Stones are the still the Stones without Mick or Keith....or Charlie!

I could never get into the Dead. No matter what I took.
01-16-03 12:48 AM
~AzQb

...for what eensyteeeensy bit it may be worth, i adored Workingmans Dead and American Beauty in high school and college, and still enjoy the Dead {considered "the Dead"only when Garcia was banjo pickin away but since he went the way of the Alice In Chains guy and so many others....Grateful who?

But seriously, there's wonderful stuff of Jerry Dead with Dylan, and a smokin version of Zevon's "Werewolves of London" out there. Really good stuff if you look. But Phil & Friends and Weir? Without Jerry? That's akin to "the beatles" without John, ya know?!

As far as Stones and the Dead? not much to say 'cept they had the same dealer for about a month in '69

~RoTfNOTlMaO
01-16-03 03:08 AM
beer I went to three Dead shows on their last tour with Jerry, i think it was '94 or '95 maybe? Two in Seattle, one in Portland. I didn't give a crap about the Dead then though. I just went for the unlimited amount of nitrous oxide in the parking lots! It was a lot of fun.
It wasn't until recently that I actually listened to American Beauty and Workingmans Dead. There's some really great songs on those albums! Those albums sorta remind me of The Flying Burrito Brothers with Gram.

[Edited by beer]
01-16-03 03:26 AM
Dr. Frankenstone My older brother took me to see the Dead when I was 14 years old in 1978, and I was bored to death. I didn't know any songs and didn't understand the 1/2 hour long meandering guitar jams and drum solo's that took place. I later gained a much better appreciation of them when I began to experiment with LSD and smoked weed everyday.

01-16-03 04:11 AM
beer Yup, thats the thing that put me off in the first place, spacey jams and drum solos and dirty hippys. I absolutely hated the wannabe Deadhead college kid types that were around. I grew up on skateboarding and punk rock music. I never would have imagined that I would dig the Grateful Dead, and that was my attitude when i was at their shows. But, like I said, i listened to those two albums and they are really great albums. Excellent songs, "Dire Wolf", "Friend of the Devil", "Ripple", Kacey Jones", "Box of Rain". Good stuff.
01-16-03 09:15 AM
telecaster
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Dido. Don't get it. Never have probably never will.
01-16-03 09:26 AM
~AzQb

ButSeE!

That is preCISEly the "thang" about the Dead!

I can't listen to them until well past midnight having been up for...well, let's just say, "awhile". Same with Steely Dan. There's a time & place for both--- but for me it ain't in daylight, but possibly close to dawn. To me, especially the Dead--- are best close to six a.m. or maybe seven.

Don't know why

~oTfLmAo
01-16-03 09:48 AM
Maxlugar American Beauty is a classic of gigantic proportions.

I never get tired of it.

But they went too far later on with their pointlessly long shows and very unrehearsed tunes.

I't my opinion that most people picked them up in the '80's because they felt it would be cool to like them.

MACKY!
01-16-03 10:00 AM
nankerphelge I never got into the Dead because they didn't rock. Yeah they jammed, and played, and led the care-free lifestyle. But I know I could fall asleep at their shows.

Not the Stones.
Barring a full Nolte, I could never fall asleep at a Stones show -- can't even sit down for Christ's sake!!

As for Dead/Stones stories, I love the part in Greenfield's book on the '72 tour where the STones arrive in California for some rehearsals and someone delivers a frickin' sea-chest full of dope sent from an unnamed San Fran band as a "welcome to Cali" present. To whom did the Stones turn for proper handling???

Keith, of course!!
Gotta love a guy that set the standard for rock star partying!!
01-16-03 10:20 AM
JaggaRichards
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Same here. I saw them a few times in the 70's.
They did the WORST version of CB's 'Around And Around' I ever heard in my life!
And I was high on mind-expanding narcotics at the time too!
01-16-03 03:27 PM
sasca The Dead without Gerry? The Stones without Brian. Except not as god.
[Edited by sasca]
01-16-03 03:28 PM
sasca I mean good.
01-16-03 03:29 PM
sasca No, god.
01-16-03 03:50 PM
doo doo doo Dude I always hated the dirt-twirlers at Dead shows who would just spin around in circles. Dirty hippies indeed.

01-16-03 10:16 PM
Mickjagger1963 Dirty Hippies Yes
Meandering Jams Yes
Wanting To fall asleep at their show .... NO
Better with Jerry ... YES
Did I mention they are better with Jerry?

But until you pick yourslef up a copy of the bootleg from Albany 11-16-02 Dont knock the show ... IT was insane.. and other than the Stones I never got into real rock and roll... Other than the Stones I listen to the Allmans The Dead Phish String Cheese Incident, But I do like Doors Dylan Hendrix Santana Petty etc.. I mean im only 16 and two years ago the Stones were nothing to me except "Satisfaction" being the no.1 song on Vh1's list and Start Me Up being played at hockeey games.... Right now Im in the jam band scene.. who knows where I will be in another year or two... The only things ive ever heard that I could guarrantee I will NEVER GET TIRED OF is the Stones Dead and Allmans .... and Dylan probably...
01-17-03 06:14 PM
~AzQb

...you know it's so weird about the Dead-- i fuckin love them in CERtaIn ungodly hours...especially their stuff way backwith Dylan--but it was...the FAnS that so totally turned me off who said "dirty hippies" ? ~"twirlers"? ~RoTfLmAo~

...i recall some serious eye-rolling in those parkiing lots...all these psuedo "love children" pretentiously doing the flowergooeygroovybullshit-- while they ripped eachother off left and right-- drugs, belongings, everything.

It was surreal irony-- but i loved Jerry's "pickins"-- so i put up with the psuedo sharing caring crap.

Stupid fucker, to really be Dead.

It still makes me angry-- because not many could, or can, pick like he did-- only maybe Knopfler has a calloussed right thumb approaching Garcia's-- but i bet ole Jerry's was even thicker

And the ultimate irony? "Touch of Grey".

~
01-17-03 06:42 PM
Mickjagger1963 Well as fake and annoying as the love child thing may be... Id rather that than what I see in school everywhere painted fingernails death metal music pissed off at everyone.... thats just not cool
01-17-03 06:55 PM
~AzQb

JaGgEd!

No, it's NeVeR QuItEcool to pretend to be someone yer not

AnD...I'm glad yer here with us instead of with "them".

You have my tea&sympathy, kid.

But being a psuedo lover...that's right up there with the butt ugly nail varnish...cos it ain't real for nothin and it's fukking despicable.

Stay here with "us",k? we'll save you from all of "them"--promise.

~RoTfL

~
01-17-03 08:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot AZQB...

Do you really like the Dylan/Dead stuff? Can I ask why?

It's my least fave period for Dylan. Crapola. One of those things that looked good on paper, but sucked in practice. More Dylan's fault than the Dead's IMO. He didn't fit very well.

I like Dylan's Jesus period better.

01-17-03 08:28 PM
Factory Girl Annie, I've got to respond to the AIC reference...lol.

Anyhow, the way I see it-Jerry died as he tried to kick his demons. (as my friend quipped- You have to embrace your vices.)

The AIC singer-Layne-died b/c he was unwilling/unable to give up his demons. What is weird-he died same day as Kurt Cobain.
01-17-03 09:44 PM
gypsymofo60 Never ever felt the desire to get into The Dead, but I remember seeing an interview with Garcia once where he talked about frying bacon,(WTF?) on top of an amp during one of their lengthier jams?????????? Goofy! I liked the idea they had of being a REAL PEOPLE's band, all that communal hanging out on the poop with the locals was very, whats the word???????-----I don't know! I think it gave them alot of credibility with the fans. But yeah! too many boring introspective jam sessions, and hippie shit for me.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST