ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Masons Yard 1965
© Gered Mankowitz from the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: vocalist irks/nsc Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
01-15-03 08:43 PM
Factory Girl Bruce Hornsby-makes my ears crawl.

Police- Hate'em. Hate their sound. Hate "His Sting-iness".

Doors-enough with the maudlin shit already. Had talent, just too maudlin.

Oh yeah, I don't like pathetic AIC imitators.
01-15-03 08:58 PM
~AzQb
FFG!

AIC-- too depressing--too many minor keys. To me anyways, shaDES of 80's Cure and Bauhaus.

But YOU dig em and that's all that really counts!

I was serious, KoolRaWkInK, 'bout what you found in the 80's that was even ReMOteLy listenable that was some musically fucked decade.

~
01-15-03 09:02 PM
Factory Girl WAit a minute. I think Tom Waits is an Acquired taste-for a few. Muy, muy gravely.
01-15-03 09:08 PM
Factory Girl Annie. AIC-They're nothing like Bauhaus/Cure. They were like Black sabbath, but had melodies like CSN&Y/Bee Gees on smack.

I don't think they're depressing. I don't mind hearing about the smack love affair...for the 100th time. Plus, I Think their singer KICKED ASS/Really great voice.
R.I.P Layne Staley
01-15-03 09:09 PM
parmeda
quote:
telecaster wrote:
I will take that as a compliment. I will be there, taking
my niece. Should be great. Maybe we can get
a cocktail at the UC before the show.

You bet that was a compliment! I love a good laugh...
I'll be at both shows...which one are you going to?

[Edited by parmeda]
01-15-03 09:12 PM
100 Years Ago I don't know you but damn girl, you just gutted the whole AOR classic rock library..LOL

I do agree that Mick vocals when he's track runnning stadiums are less than acceptable (this tour there much less of that vocal posing)

as for the rest, a sterling example of each vocalizing detesting:

Geddy Lee--Temples of Syrinx (ouch, dogs run away at that one)
Matchbox 20--MICK wrote a song with him? Hopefully he was drunk (Mick that is)

Pearl Jam-I like Eddie V's vocals what I can't stand is that fact that every hack band sense has seen fit to weakly emulate it, watered down...ie CREED!!!!ahhh

REO- both singers suck, Cronin and the guy who originally sang Riding the Storm Out

Eagles--I Can't Tell You Why...nothing more needs to be said
, shit I forgot about Tequila Sunrise...even worse

post-seventies Tyler---somewhat unfair his vocals didn't suffer till after Pump--What It Takes is a classic

Jon Anderson-Yes--we're all just one "Big Generator"...yeah right, like his '70s vox

the Rainbow guy--no!!!! Dio is legendary...Graham Bonnett, Joe Lynn Turner...eechh, godawful

Bad Co--Paul Rodger defines machismo, lunkhead '70s rock vox, need evidence "Bad Co" need more evidence, "Feel Like Makin' Love"--bong hit classics...that Brian Howe guy who replaced him in '80s should be sent to a ring of hell with the guy from Boston and Uriah Heep

Plant---sounds like he was on helium duing HofTH, "That's The Way" and "Night Flight" show that his vocal style isn't just a viking shriek

Ian Anderson (booties guy w/flute)--I like Tull but Ian is no singer

Sinead vox never bothered me...her histronics on the other hand

a couple of more to add to your detest list:

---Four non-Blondes chick (Linda Perry)

---Cranberries chick

---Jon Bon Jovi (goes without saying)

---Steve Perry--Journey (the epitome of AOR blandness)

01-15-03 09:13 PM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Any of the "new" country singers. I mean, take your pick, male or female. They all blow.

...For the most part, most of the "old ones" do too.
Hell, for what it's worth...stick me in a country & western bar and all bets are off, someone's going to wind up getting hurt. I hate the shit!
01-15-03 09:27 PM
Factory Girl 100 years ago, I like Aerosmith's "Pump" cd also.

Actually, some of the songs kick ass. "What it takes".
01-15-03 10:05 PM
Sir Stonesalot Tom Waits is BRILLIANT!!!!!

Granted his voice is not silky smooth...but SO WHAT!!! His delivery, timing, power, conviction...AMAZING. And his songs...OMG!!!

Raindogs is one of my "desert island" albums.

To put him in a class with the rest of these hacks is just....well it should be illegal.

Don't make me come over there.

Now, you wanna talk about bad....Bobby Brown is bad. Not the good bad, the bad bad.

And what about that Chris Isaks guy? I like the way he plays guitar though...lots of tremelo. But what is up with his voice...he just GOTTA be squeezin' his ballbag HARD on them high notes.

Freddy Mercury....BORING.

I like Sinead's voice. She's completely nuts. I like her.
01-15-03 10:09 PM
~AzQb

Yeah GazinAtSomeRabbitInTheSky

You know, there's so many more, and forgetting Steve Perry is practically unforgivable.

And you know who else irks...that thinks-he's-so-cool metallica megalomaniac....
....and i simply can't believe annie lennox is still allowed into recording studios. That's the OJ buy out of recording studios, if ya ask me.

Lynyrd Skynyrd? Johnny can't replace Ronnie and why he even tried--- now ThAt's sad.

And speaking of covers? Fookin Rod Stewart doing Hendrix's "Angel." I never liked him since Faces and since that cover...oh it's sooooooooooooooo teensy weensy, baby.

~RoTfLmAo~!

01-15-03 10:11 PM
100 Years Ago Pump is last Aerosmith album I bought and for good reason...

no album since is even as good as Draw The Line or Night In The Ruts

'smith on smack those were the days!!!!!
01-15-03 10:14 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Phil Collins, not just his voice but the crap he sings
01-15-03 10:18 PM
100 Years Ago Dave Matthews vs the Creed Guy--steel cage death match of annoying chauterwalling mediocrity

if there's a hell, I hope they're there warbling to each other for eternity

DMB--most overrated band EVER!!!
01-15-03 10:31 PM
~AzQb

Hell, only Get Your Wings, Toys in The Attic{barely), Rocks {esp.} and Draw the Line can get me to stop yawning long enuf for my ears to pop-- like chewin gum when yer plane hits the tarmac.

These guys had their wings permanently clipped ages ago-- post 70's Narrowriff? ---like a crippled one-liner parrot in a pet shop, they are. And all it learned to say was, "where's the money? where's the money?"

~
01-15-03 10:45 PM
100 Years Ago I agree completely except Pump despite the tuneless "Love In An Elevator" is the one time they rediscovered the '70s zeitgeist and this is with Bruce "Loverboy" Fairbain producing,imagine what Jack Douglas or even Rick Rubin (who they recorded some tracks with) could've done with those songs.
01-16-03 12:21 AM
~AzQb of a

....and just for the record, why the fuck did Al Green do something with LyleLostIt??

....i mean yeah, Wolf and Mick "Nothing but the Wheel". Drinkin but limo driver, ya know? But why ruin the Gorgeous Al's cords with LykeILostIt?

Why, i ask you. Why.

And how the hell did David Gray get a contract???? Something very OJ going on in the music business today. I'm actually shocked at what Epic/Geffen, et al. pick up. They're all tonedeaf or just plain stupid.

Oh to have the Traveling Wilburys back for just a few more gigs.

Missin George even with his filthy footed toe kissin~
01-16-03 07:29 AM
Factory Girl Hey Voodoo, thanks for reminding me about Phil Collins-BLEECH!!

Aero's "PUMP" is very very good. Give it a listen, or don't.
01-16-03 08:50 AM
~AzQb [quote]Factory Girl wrote:
Bruce Hornsby-makes my ears crawl.

RaWkInEsTfG!

Babe, i know we'll never have ears that agree sans the Ig and maybe Roxy? Pre-80's Bowie? Lou& the Underground? Lou solo and quite a poet?

Butcha know what? i couldn't care less. I adore you, AIC and all. How could i NOT? Yer the RawKinEstChIcKALiVe

Anyway what i was attempting to get at regarding Hornsby--he meshes well with Ronnie, believe it or not-- and LeavellWhoShouldLeaveWell,Soon, being such a sterilised 'boogie' {LOL} shit, Hornsby at least has that boogie woogie swing, and if he sounded good with Ronnie...think he should replace Leave,Well,Soon, personally.

He might not be Hopkins,nor Stu, nor near enuf the others--but he's got more swing in his little piggy that went "wee wee wee" all the way home than LeaveWell,Soon has in both insured bashers.

If you would, please e-mailK

~muchlove
01-16-03 09:07 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Also the guy from Journey and let me tell you I had a girfriend baci in the early 80s who was not a fan but used to listen to the same song over and over until I exploded.
01-16-03 09:34 AM
~AzQb

GeRaRdO!

How long did ThAt one last?

~RoTfLmAo~!
01-16-03 09:39 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some months, it was real torture time!
01-16-03 10:11 AM
~AzQb GeRaRdO!

....ere's a lil "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" of my own...my first "love" if you will, {we were like, "going out" at fourteen and finally broke up when we were about nineteenor so--university DoEs indeed broaden one's horizons} ...anyway, his father was a piano boogie woogie player like i've never heard before or since, {J. Johnson excepted} and he tells his son, "choose keys or guitar, cuz you've got the ear and you'll always have comfort in music", right, and this kid chooses...you guessed it-- guitar.

So having the inborn swing-- the kid was wonderful. I mean, we had gigs left and right and we were babies, G.

BUT....ow...here comes the clincher ala Massacre: this kid subjected me to Randy Rhoads {Blizzard of Oz, Gawd} for hours each week. And then, to practice his tricks and hammer-ons, it was "Women and Children First"--i'm talkin Eddie V. up the yin yang. Yeah, he threw in Joe Perry many hours a day just for good measure.

After letting {with ears bleeding} him practice for hours a day, i literally BEgGeD him to put Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed on. His response? "ok...but Keith is so static with his Berry licks...good on rythym but the guy plays lousy leads."

Yeah, i know.

The one consolation i can offer in his memory is the fact that he scored me '81 opening Philly tickets,both days, copped a ride for us from someone who actually legally drove,kept me from passing out and being passed over the masses, and packed six sleeping bags stuffed with clothes so i could stand on them and ogle the cherry picker in young lust.

Yeah, those afternoons....as JoeyR would say, "Chainsaw Massacree"

~RoTflMaO~o&O
01-16-03 10:32 AM
nankerphelge You can throw Supertramp in there too.

01-16-03 10:59 AM
telecaster
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Also the guy from Journey and let me tell you I had a girfriend baci in the early 80s who was not a fan but used to listen to the same song over and over until I exploded.

The only thing I like about Journey is they backed up
The Stones in '78 the first time I saw them.

I am a Pavlov dog, every time I hear Journey I know
The Stones can't be far behind. Get the fuck off the
stage and let The Stones start
01-16-03 11:33 AM
~AzQb

...what's trulyBIZarre about tHaT cat, Neil Schon {you know, the "guitarist" for Journey) ...apparently Carlos Santana taught him anything {RoTfL} he knows....and get this: Sheryl Crow went into the studio with him awhile back.

BiZzArE.

I mean, if there was anything "there" , why go from santana to journey? And WTF was Crow thinking, anyway--'sides shades of carlos with that matchbox 20 geek? WTF?

ThAt's some weird shit
01-16-03 11:37 AM
100 Years Ago ~AzQb, that is a great story, hilarious, it's like scenes from some lost '80s teen flick
01-16-03 11:44 AM
~AzQb

Yeah Gazin@SomeRabbitInTheSky...

...like, "Night of the Living Hairband Billys"

{least i ain't seen him on "Where Are They Now?"....yet

~RoTfLmAo~!o&o
01-16-03 11:52 AM
telecaster
quote:
~AzQb wrote:

...what's trulyBIZarre about tHaT cat, Neil Schon {you know, the "guitarist" for Journey) ...apparently Carlos Santana taught him anything {RoTfL} he knows....and get this: Sheryl Crow went into the studio with him awhile back.

BiZzArE.

I mean, if there was anything "there" , why go from santana to journey? And WTF was Crow thinking, anyway--'sides shades of carlos with that matchbox 20 geek? WTF?

ThAt's some weird shit

That is messed up. Plus-white guys should not have Afros.

01-16-03 01:35 PM
parmeda
quote:
telecaster wrote:
The only thing I like about Journey is they backed up
The Stones in '78 the first time I saw them.

I am a Pavlov dog, every time I hear Journey I know
The Stones can't be far behind. Get the fuck off the
stage and let The Stones start

Telecaster...Might you have been in Soldiers Field...hmmm?
01-16-03 02:01 PM
telecaster
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Telecaster...Might you have been in Soldiers Field...hmmm?

Oh ya Baby! Slept outside on the cement the night before,
almost got crushed to death, I am talking Who in Cincy crushed, made it in somehow.

Southside Johnny
Peter Tosh
Journey
Stones
Mick pulls out the firehose on a hot Chicago day

God do I miss those days.
Page: 1 2 3

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST