ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Masons Yard 1965
© Gered Mankowitz from the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Header pic Return to archive
01-15-03 01:36 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Header pic is not working!
01-15-03 02:15 AM
stonedinaustralia now it is

does any one have a clean shot of the pic./drawing on keith's t shirt??
01-15-03 02:51 AM
fmk438j I know nothing about guitars, or playing them, but have always wondered if it is possible to guess what song they were playing by looking at the chord they were holding at the moment the photo was taken. Is it possible? (and the obvious question is, what song are they playing in the header pic?)
01-15-03 04:10 AM
Mathijs Hi,

As both Keith and Woody play standard G chords on the picture, songs that might be played at that moment are from the set list:

Under My Thumb: no G
When The Whip Comes Down: only G in bridge, but played in different position
Let’s Spend The Night Together: Gminor, but keith played with different Telecaster
Shattered no G
Neighbours no G
Black Limousine G, played in the style as on the picture
Just My Imagination no G
Twenty Flight Rock g is played, but keith playes open G
Going To A Go Go No G
Chantilly Lace G, as played like the picture
Let Me Go No G
Time Is On My Side No G
Beast Of Burden No G
Let It Bleed G is played, but Ronnie uses slide
You Can’t Always Get What You Want no G
Band introduction
Little T & A No G
Tumbling Dice open tuning
She’s So Cold open tuning
Hang Fire from here it turned dark in Rotterdam.

So the two contenders are: Black Limousine or Chantilly Lace. As Chantilly Lace is a rockabilly style number, you would expect different choord shaping (more Berry styled phrasing), so my guess is Black limousine.

Mathijs
01-15-03 04:30 AM
fmk438j Ha, cool.

Cheers Mathjis.
01-15-03 04:50 AM
Moonisup thanks mathijs.
[Edited by Moonisup]
01-15-03 08:54 AM
TT WOW, what a picture! Best tour, best outfit, best sound!

On Keith´s shirt is written "Start Me Up". It´s him on the shirt (from the famous "after LA´75 show" picture. He wears a hat, sunglasses and lights a cigarette.

I read somewhere that a guy made the shirts for him: Andrew Slayton. He made some 30 shirts and in 81 Peter Wolf of the J. geils band came by at the shop. He took some shirts and obviously gave them to Keith. Slayton first saw his shirt on the Hampton 81 simulcast on TV "Hey, ´he wears MY shirt". Pretty cool story (SPM, No. 4)
01-15-03 11:20 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Wow excellent pic!!
Thanks Mathijs for the info!
01-15-03 01:09 PM
egon excellent!

saved it as background pic on my pc
01-15-03 10:02 PM
steel driving hammer Saved it on my computer too as the backroud.

I lOVE that tour.

The Open G Chords filling my soul w/ sheer joy!

Great Fucking Tour!

Hopefully not The Last Time Keith does Little T & A.

Shit, why doesn't he do Little T & A on THIS tour?

I may be their last........................................
01-15-03 11:09 PM
sammy davis jr. Not to be an a-hole or anything-sammy has never seen a "G" chord played on the second fret (see keith)....I'd say he's playing a "b", and Ron is definitely playing a standard B barre chord about to to hammer-on with the pinky. (The standard "Chuck Berry" rythymn) Just my opinion. By the way Mathijs, I enjoy your info on the Stones guitars etc...
01-15-03 11:35 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This was the header

Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam - June 2, 1982
Provided by Moonisup and his Dad!
01-16-03 01:21 AM
souldoggie Back in the 80's, I believe, Bill Germann offered that Keith shirt, made by the same fellow that made Keith's. I've still got mine, it has a tiny red like rhinestone on his sunglasses. I never tore mine up like Keith did.
01-16-03 05:50 AM
Mathijs sammy davis jr: I was havin doubts myself too about that, but keith's index finger is playing te E string at the third position for sure, but you are right about Ronnie: a plain B in Berry style. Keith must then be in transition to the B-position then, as he's halfway between the 2nd and 3rd position.

When a B is played like this (and early in the set) it is most likely Shattered. It could have been Let's Spend The Night, but Keith used his Rosewood Tele for let's Spend the entire 1982 tour. This makes sense to, as the potographers were only allowed to take pictures during the first songs.

mathijs
01-16-03 08:11 AM
John Wood Sorry to say but Mathijs you are wrong they are both playing a B cord! Ronnie's root note is on the E string at the 7th fret, which is a B and Keith is on the A string at the second fret and that too is a B note. (both in standard tuning). Therefore it could be one of many songs. I think it may be Shattered. I know this song is in E but the B cord is also played quit a bit.
01-16-03 08:18 AM
John Wood I looked at the picture again and Ronnie almost looks like he is playing at the 6th fret! This would be an A sharp or a B flat. That does not seem right, maybe that is why Keith is giving him the "look"?
01-16-03 08:24 AM
John Wood I think Keith is just muting the E string with his finger, so he does not have to worry about hitting that string and playing a wrong note.
01-16-03 08:29 AM
Moonisup a fucking great look by keith!

I am very proud of this photo!

I have in a big format, and I looked and saw

Ronnie hasn't got a B indeed!!!

I think John is then right about the look
01-16-03 08:49 AM
sammy davis jr. OK- one theory from the guitar geeks section is that the boys are playing Shattered, Ron is fucking it up, and Keith is giving him "the look". How's that for detective work?
01-16-03 08:54 AM
nankerphelge This thread reminds me of the C10 gathering in Cleveland. Someone -- either Max or 2000 Man -- bought a picture of the band from '72 or '75 and we are all standing around at the R&R HOF trying to figure out what they were playing based on the guitar, capo, amount of sweat on Mick and lack of clothing (thus where in set list they were), etc.

We came up with Tumbling Dice!

We have a lot of time on our hands.

I love this place!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST