ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Masons Yard 1965
© Gered Mankowitz from the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NED KELLY movie remake Return to archive
01-15-03 01:27 AM
The Eggman Starring Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom

....hmmm wonder if Jagger will be apart in this?
01-15-03 05:30 AM
corgi37 So many people bag jagger as ned Kelly. i can understand why, but i think they miss the whole point of getting Jagger to portray "our Ned". Now, if you are a yank, or a pom, you may not know or appreciate Ned Kelly. To put it this way, Ned makes jesse james look like a very gay boy scout. He was huge, strong, ruthless, intelligent. But, i think i know why Jagger was employed. So many people said: "jagger is short, skinny, weak, wimpy. Ned was a amateur boxer, horse wrangler, boozer. But, here is my switch on this. The director wanted Jagger cause at the time, Jagger was rebellion, change, an authority challenger, much like Ned. It wasnt the body the director wanted, it was the spirit. I reckon it worked pretty well. I really do believe you have to be aussie to appreciate the movie, or at least have empathy for the situation, but if you can get into it, i reckon Jagger was a pretty good choice. Beats the shit out of Kevin Costner as Robin Hood!!
01-15-03 05:49 AM
gypsymofo60 As I've said beffore, the point people,(especially the Australian film critics), missed is that Tony Richardson's film was a bleak, if not black comedy. It was never meant to be taken as an historical/fully factual piece. Anyone who knows the true story could see that a mile off, and as you say, when taken for what it is, Jagger does a more than passable job. Australian film afficianados have always had a bee in their bonnet over that, as though The POMS had denegrated "our Neds" good reputation. Lighten up film buffs, take it for what it is!
01-15-03 07:36 AM
exile I heard while Mick was filming "Ned Kelly" here in Australia one day in between takes sitting in a feild playing guitar was when he wrote BROWN SUGAR any one know if this is true?
01-15-03 02:41 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Ned makes jesse james look like a very gay boy scout.

And Mick made Ned look like a very gay boy scout! So many homoerotic undertones in that film. The director was a flaming queen and after Mick's bum you know...

Ted Turner must really like that film. It's always being shown on cable. If I'm channel surfing and the wrestling scene's on I'll always stop a for it.
01-15-03 06:10 PM
fmk438j
quote:
exile wrote:
I heard while Mick was filming "Ned Kelly" here in Australia one day in between takes sitting in a feild playing guitar was when he wrote BROWN SUGAR any one know if this is true?

I heard that also, and more specifically, he came up with the riff after injuring his hand during the shoot.
01-15-03 07:58 PM
gypsymofo60 That story regarding Mick coming up with 'Brown Sugar' during a break in shooting Ned Kelly is apparently true, and there is a full page, colour photo of Mick's NEWLY stitched hand in the book; 'The Rolling Stones' by Robert Palmer. Why would they have taken that photo?
01-15-03 08:09 PM
exile If thats the Photo of Micks hand with fresh stiches in it on a doctors table Its not from Ned Kelly

It was taken by Annie Liebowitz on the 75 Tour of America where Mick accidently put his hand through a glass window

(I have a book on Annie Liebowitz and this is the explation under the photo)
01-15-03 09:06 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
exile wrote:
If thats the Photo of Micks hand with fresh stiches in it on a doctors table Its not from Ned Kelly

It was taken by Annie Liebowitz on the 75 Tour of America where Mick accidently put his hand through a glass window

(I have a book on Annie Liebowitz and this is the explation under the photo)

Yeah! You're absolutely right there Exile, my apologies. Annie's stuff is just brilliant, did you see that doco on her? It was very good.
01-16-03 04:53 AM
beer Hey, check this out, my Aussie friends:

Mick Jagger, regarding Brown Sugar:

"I wrote that song in Australia in the middle of a field. They were really odd circumstances. I was doing this movie, Ned Kelly, and my hand had got really damaged in this action sequence. So stupid. I was trying to rehabilitate my hand and I had this new kind of electric guitar, and I was playing in the middle of the outback and wrote this tune. But why it works? I mean, it's a good groove and all that. I mean, the groove is slightly similar to Freddy Cannon, this rather obscure '50s rock performer - Tallahassee Lassie or something. Do you remember this? She's down in F-L-A. Anyway, the groove of that - boom-boom-boom-boom-boom - is going to a go-go or whatever, but that's the groove."

- Mick Jagger, 1995

http://www.timeisonourside.com/track67-72.html
01-16-03 07:45 AM
corgi37 Thanks for that Beer, i was just looking for that article myself. I think Jagger had a battery operated practice amp, though i read there he says it was a "new type of guitar". ALong with Brown Sugar, i wonder if Wild Horses was also written while jagger was here in 69? It was inspired by Maryanne's little o/d, wasnt it?

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST