ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Masons Yard 1965
© Gered Mankowitz from the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jet to open in Australia Return to archive
01-14-03 09:58 AM
CS Does anybody know about a place to hear their musiv, is hard to find them searching the net with such a common name

Band Jet joins Stones age
By Nui Te Koha
January 15, 2003

AN UNDERGROUND Melbourne band with no live experience has been picked by Mick Jagger to support the Rolling Stones.

Jet, a four piece from Dingley formed only 10 months ago, beat a who's who of Australian music talent to score the coveted Stones support slot.

It marks another giant leap for Jet, who enjoy darling status with the UK music press and a US record deal worth a reported $3 million.

"The Rolling Stones want something that fits the tour, but they don't want to go the conventional way either," a Stones tour insider told the Herald Sun.

"That is why Jet got in there. Jet is an up and coming, vibey new band. The Stones are the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world: it's a good musical fit."
01-14-03 03:22 PM
stonedinaustralia cs - was able to dig up this - i'd never heard of them 'til i read your post much less heard their music

http://entertainment.telstra.com/music_features,conmap,12604
01-14-03 06:58 PM
gypsymofo60 All the great Aussie bands hail from- Dingley??????????? I'm with you Stoned, never heard of 'em.
01-14-03 07:49 PM
fmk438j Thery were referred to in an article about the Vines in last Saturday's Sydney Morning Herald, but that's the first for me too.

01-14-03 07:58 PM
gypsymofo60 Would've been good if The Vines could've supported at least some of the gigs, but prior commitments and all. How daunting would it be? a virtual bunch of unknowns testing the waters of international fame by jumping straight in at the dodgy end by supporting The Stones in a country where their tours are akin to The Second Coming? Ugh!!!!!!
01-14-03 08:13 PM
fmk438j Did you read about the Chili Peppers support on their tour here recently? One of the band members (I don't know which, as I don't know anything about them) spends quite a bit of time in Congo, a tiny town on the South Coast of NSW where he owns a house. A couple of the local surfers have a band, that has only played to audiences a couple of times. These guys befriended the chilli pepper and he asked them to support their upcoming tour.

I read about this long before they toured so I'm just assuming they went through with it.

01-14-03 08:38 PM
Mottrush
JET -never heard of them either. But if Mick reckons they're alright that's fine with me. Gotta be better than the friggin' Cruel Sea we had to put up with in '95!!!

Cheers,

Mottrush
01-15-03 12:11 AM
exile Jet ??...never heard of them...
But Its pretty cool Mick's picked this unknown band

The Red Hot Chillis thing was FLEA he was born in Australia I believe and spends quite a lot of time on South Coast at his house there

Maybe they should have gotten NIKKI WEBSTER to support the stones .....ha ha ha LOL
01-15-03 04:24 AM
gypsymofo60 It is Flea, and he was born in OZ. Personally I thought The Cruel Sea at the time were the ideal support to The Stones.
01-15-03 05:20 AM
corgi37 Flea, my friends, was born in Melbourne and barracks for Collingwood. His grandma still lives here. She goes to all his Oz shows, thats why the Peppers tour Oz so much. He is such a yank now, but still says he's aussie and "i want to settle back down there one day". Bullshit! But, i have seen him wear a pies jumper on stage before. As for JET, i aint heard nuffink either, but they are doing well for a band who have only been together 10 months. I also read that Dainty (the promoter) said 100's of Oz bands applied for support. He said the BIGGEST BANDS applied. Pretty cool to think that Mick and Keith (they chose the support) took the time to listen to bands songs to choose the support. As the young fella's said, or their management said, what a great op. What a great learning curve. Yet another reason why the world still needs the Stones. The Stones love new talent, as well as their mentors. Unlike that Strummer fucker, this band supports and encourages those who rock, and love the legacy of those who have gone before. "No Stones etc etc in 1977", indeed!
P.S. See how i blend one thread to another!
01-15-03 05:37 AM
gypsymofo60 "See how I blend one thread to another?"......Yes! You crafty fucker you. Didn't you know Corgi? Anyone from Australia who cracks it overseas must, by law,(media law), tell the good folks back home how "They still call Australia home"...it's The Peter Allen syndrome! Better known as telling PORKIES.
01-15-03 06:03 AM
corgi37 I am a bitch. aint i! Wow, gypsy, you must be on at the same time as i! around 10pm, on 15/1/03!
01-15-03 07:20 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Heheheh... shows what I know... I read the topic and said "Why are the Stones opening with a McCartney number? Are they that desperate to outsell the guy or just rubbing it in that he pulled out of his Australia deal? Or both?"

-tSYX --- We'll go for a ride in the sky...
01-15-03 08:10 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Heheheh... shows what I know... I read the topic and said "Why are the Stones opening with a McCartney number? Are they that desperate to outsell the guy or just rubbing it in that he pulled out of his Australia deal? Or both?"

-tSYX --- We'll go for a ride in the sky...

EGAD!!!!!!!!! awful visions of "Fankukinlee, Keefs gonna sing fr ya now, fanks Keef!"...and you think the world would've had enough of silly love songs.......God forbid!
01-15-03 10:16 PM
KeepRigidsLawyer Are The Jets still around?
01-16-03 04:41 AM
beer I have heard OF Jet, but never actually HEARD them. From what i gather they just signed a huge major label contract with an American label. They're from Melbourne I think. Hope they're better than The Vines. blech!

Avoid record stores on Bourke Street.
01-16-03 04:59 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
beer wrote:
I have heard OF Jet, but never actually HEARD them.

Avoid record stores on Bourke Street.

that's not bad beer - you must certainly keep your ear to the ground

what's up with the reference to Bourke street record stores...have you been over here before or something??
01-16-03 05:10 AM
beer Nope, never been to Melb, but I have a friend who used to work in a record store on bourke.
Almost wish I was there though, yall are enjoyin good weather, i'm freezing! Haha!
01-16-03 07:39 AM
corgi37 Your friend must have worked in Gaslight Records. I wonder is he/she was there when they used to have the annual nude day. Actually, i didnt mind that place. I got the re-release of the Doors AMerican Prayer there when Ray Mansarek was signing copies. What a weird bastard that guy is! A bit more more Jet. I think that article says they signed to some U.S. label for around $3million. Not bad biccies! I doubt i'll see much of them though. I'll be at the bar.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST