ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What initially attracted u to the stones? Return to archive
12-05-01 09:21 AM
Hovercraft You know...when you KNEW they were the greatest rock n roll band ever, when was this where were you?

For me it was when I first heard Gimme Shelter at a mates house whilst on an all day bender; heard the song then asked him to play it back cos it was so good, I couldnt believe it.
this was about 5 years ago.
Glad he played me it!!
12-05-01 10:01 AM
winter Probably when I was about ten years old - I saw them on Preview - I believe it was the last show of the '81 U.S. Tour in Hampton.

The show was great, and they had some excellent back stage footage before the show (farm animals in the bathrooms, etc.)

Does anybody know where I can get a good recording of that show?
12-05-01 01:47 PM
nankerphelge I was at a friend's place circa 1977 -- playing pool in his basement -- and he played his brother's Hot Rocks album. I was amazed -- as it progressed through sides 1 and 2 I thought --"wow these guys have a million hits!" -- little did I know that there were also sides 3 and 4 -- most of which I knew as well. And then another 6 years worth of material.

I remember going to my local Record Town and noticing that the Stones' bin had a bazillion different albums while everyone else had 2 or 3.

Then I went out and purchased a brand new stereo system -- Technics receiver, Jensen speakers, and a Sanyo turntable -- not bad for 15 years old -- and I needed a new album to check the "high fidelity system" -- I picked up Love You Live and I was shocked at how different they sounded live. It was like 2 different bands -- there was a big disconnect. Which band was the true Rolling Stones.

Hell, 2 data points wasn't enough -- next purchase, the critically acclaimed Some Girls. Simply awesome -- from there, I was totally hooked. I recall trying to figure out who the sixth guy was on the Hot Rocks liner (it was Micky T.) and who in the hell Ron Wood was and why he was on Some Girls -- I then began the ultimate game of trivial pursuit to figure out the history of this band. Once you get in that deep, it is like quicksand -- the more you struggle with it, the more it suck ya in!
12-05-01 05:31 PM
justinkurian When I was 16, not too long ago, my brother sang me 'Beast of Burden.' He told me to go pick up the album 'cause it was a classic. Well, based on his singing I decided not to buy the album. Some time later, when 102.7 was still playing classic rock in nyc, I heard 'When the Whip Comes Down.' The section was called "Lost Classics" and I knew I had to get it then. Never regreted it and proceeded to buy the whole catalog after '69. (Still waiting for those 60's gems to be ultimately remastered.)
[Edited by justinkurian]
[Edited by justinkurian]
12-17-01 04:46 PM
Mother baby You don't really want to know LOL!!
besides I can't remember.
12-17-01 04:54 PM
The Eggman Better question . What Stones song would use in the background while having sex?

Mine would be "Midnight Rambler"
12-18-01 12:08 AM
Happy Motherfucker My first introduction into the world of The Rolling Stones(30 years ago) was when I was six years old, listing to Sticky Fingers. I thought the inside sleeve for the album was so cool looking. Mick standing there yawning and the cloths that they had on. I knew right away, that's what I want to do when I grow up! Damn I was lucky to have a dad that turned me onto good music right from the get go! You just can't be a kid and be that lucky today.
Yeah, sex and the Rambler go hand in hand. Stray Cat Blues too!

12-18-01 08:10 PM
Lacride
quote:
The Eggman wrote:
Better question . What Stones song would use in the background while having sex?

Mine would be "Midnight Rambler"

In the sixties, we made it on "Let's Spend The Night Together" with my GF. Today, it could be "Brand New Car"
12-18-01 08:26 PM
Lacride Any doubt: "Get Off Of My Cloud"! I was in a state of (positiv) shock. "Get Off" illustrated the feelings I had deep in my soul: let me live my life! Like many others, I was a teenager bored in a straight society. I was 15 and my life was changed by R&R (Thanks Jim!)
12-23-01 12:27 AM
Street_Fighting_Man Gimme Shelter! (the movie) When the film opens up with Sam Cutler anouceing "is everybody ready" and the opening riff of JJF it got me hooked, that and Beggars Banquet.
12-23-01 10:08 AM
kr
quote:
Hovercraft wrote:
You know...when you KNEW they were the greatest rock n roll band ever, when was this where were you?

For me it was when I first heard Gimme Shelter at a mates house whilst on an all day bender; heard the song then asked him to play it back cos it was so good, I couldnt believe it.
this was about 5 years ago.
Glad he played me it!!

For me it was at the end of the 70s, i was impressed by Emotional Rescue and i like the B side of Tatoo you.

A french fan
12-23-01 01:17 PM
Robert Schneeweiss When I was 13 years old, my cousin suggested that I pick up Hot Rocks as a good introduction to the band. At the same time, I noticed an unusual cover on one of their studio offerings, so I picked that up as well. That tape happened to be Beggar's Banquet, which to date is still one of my favourites. After that initial purchase, I subsequently picked up the essential albums (Flowers, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St., Goat's Head Soup, IORR, Some Girls, Undercover and a few of the early ones). I've since had the opportunity to see them live on a number of occasions here in Toronto and have been reasonably pleased, although I'd love to have been alive for the tours in the late 60s and early 70s.

Robert
12-23-01 03:01 PM
FujiSaki What initially attracted me to the Stones?

The Drive.
12-27-01 03:52 PM
Mother baby Yeah, it just came back to me. I was 12 or 13 in 1965 or 66 or so. I bought Out of our Heads, and took it home. That may not have been the greatest Stones record ever but it did turn me on for awhile. LOL. Kids will buy anything won't they???
12-27-01 03:56 PM
Mother baby See I told you it was really a boring question and answer>
oh well, boring answer maybe lol.
[Edited by Mother baby]
12-27-01 11:19 PM
Briansrevenge When I got my ass kicked for carrying a compostion book to school with Mick Jagger's picture on the front...Hell, I thought it was Steven Tyler...I rushed out and bought as mant Stones' cassettes as I could find...If I was gonna get my ass kicked for liking them, I might as well know some of their songs...Ahhh, and then I "Let Me Go"...The Stones made me the coolest kid in the 5th grade.
12-28-01 09:50 PM
wfts the music
12-28-01 10:16 PM
The Eggman U got ur ass kicked for listening to Stones music?

gees
tough school
12-29-01 05:43 PM
Joey When I was fighting in the jungles of ' Nam in ' 67 , the song " Satisfaction " was blared repeatedly over " Radio Hanoi . " It was then and there that I decided to shoot smack instead of little " Viet Congs ." Yeah , you could say the Stones changed my life for good !!!!!!!
12-29-01 05:47 PM
Gazza Sounds like that scene in "Apocalypse now" with the black soldier ski-ing to the same song!!!

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.