ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Madison Square Garden, NYC - January 18, 2006
Š Sweet Virginia
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The most controversial covers Return to archive
January 12th, 2006 12:38 PM
Jair I've just seen in a Braz website an article about the most polemic record covers. They named some:

- Unfinished Music Nē 1 - Two Virgins

- Yesterday... and Today (replaced)

- Electric Ladyland - banned in US - really???

- Sticky Fingers - because that close, banned in Spain. (??!!) ---- Oh, Franco, of course!!!

- Appetite for Destruction: because the rape

- Amorica: because the grass

Down here, the alternative artist "Tom Ze" had problems with a cover too, in 1973, because the cover of a record named "Todos os Olhos" (All the Eyes).
At those times, the militar gov't didnt like too much...

You, any suggestions?

January 12th, 2006 01:00 PM
voodoopug The original Beggars Banquet album cover was rejected and replaced with a formal invitation.
January 12th, 2006 01:03 PM
ShaneJazz I heard some minor rumblings over the years about Led Zep's Houses of the Holy because of the nude pre-teens on it, as well as I believe Blind Faith's cover with the young girl on it topless. How about Spinal Tap's Smell the Glove? lol that was a good one....
January 13th, 2006 06:50 AM
Bruno Stone
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
I heard some minor rumblings over the years about Led Zep's Houses of the Holy because of the nude pre-teens on it, as well as I believe Blind Faith's cover with the young girl on it topless. How about Spinal Tap's Smell the Glove? lol that was a good one....

That Blind Faith`s cover with a young girl holding a little airplane?
January 13th, 2006 07:01 AM
M.O.W.A.T. I can remember back in the late 80s, there used to be a Canadian punk band called the Day-glo Abortions and a couple of their album covers raised a real stink: these were for the albums "Feed Us a Fetus" and "Two Dogs Fucking" (no need to post pictures for these, they are pretty much self-explanatory).
January 13th, 2006 07:29 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Jair wrote:
I've just seen in a Braz website an article about the most polemic record covers. They named some:

- Unfinished Music Nē 1 - Two Virgins

- Yesterday... and Today (replaced)

- Electric Ladyland - banned in US - really???

- Sticky Fingers - because that close, banned in Spain. (??!!) ---- Oh, Franco, of course!!!......Jesus h Christmas what's wrong with appetite? Brilliant piece of artwork. If that disturbs you try prozac!

- Appetite for Destruction: because the rape

- Amorica: because the grass

Down here, the alternative artist "Tom Ze" had problems with a cover too, in 1973, because the cover of a record named "Todos os Olhos" (All the Eyes).
At those times, the militar gov't didnt like too much...

You, any suggestions?

January 13th, 2006 07:35 AM
gypsymofo60 Well! I don't know what happened there ,but what's so offensive about Appetite for Destruction?.... Compared to Al- Jazeera it's Nursery School.
January 13th, 2006 08:47 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Well! I don't know what happened there ,but what's so offensive about Appetite for Destruction?.... Compared to Al- Jazeera it's Nursery School.

The tattoo cover of Appetite for Destruction wasn't the original artwork for the album. If you open the CD booklet to the middle you'll see a cartoon of the girl with her panties down and some sort of robot standing above her (suggestions of rape) --- that was supposed to be the original cover.
January 13th, 2006 08:51 AM
lotsajizz frankenchrist

by the DK's

nothing comes close for controversial

January 13th, 2006 10:55 AM
Jair Anyhow, I think all Kiss covers should be banned of the whole world

January 14th, 2006 12:41 PM
star star roxy music's country life which featured two scantily clad maidens (one whom had her pubic hair on show, whoa) often had the background minus the women, or half the women as the cover for the US market. jeez had those people never seen a naked chick in their lives?!
January 15th, 2006 04:09 PM
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck Bowie's 'Diamond Dogs' had the male genitalia air-brushed out.

Pistols 'Bollocks' album was not allowed to be displayed in some British record stores at the time of its release Due to Bollocks being slang for 'Balls'and/or'Bullshit"

Alice Coopers'Schools Out' album.Although it wasn't the cover that came into question but a pair of white lace panties that came with every album upon its initial release ,they were wrapped around the record itself and after reports of the panties being highly flammable were thereafter removed and discontinued!
January 15th, 2006 05:08 PM
Gazza The long forgotten Mom's Apple Pie's self titled album is probably one of the more controversial ones

Looks innocent enough until you examine the cover a bit more closely :

After word got out, retailers demanded that Capitol Records do something about it. They did. They filled the slice up with bricks, surrounded it with barbed wire, and raised the American Flag.
January 15th, 2006 05:13 PM
Gazza I remember a few complaints about this one at the time:

The Dead Kennedys one that Jizzy refers to was probably the most controversial I can remember. Wasnt it the poster that came with it that upset people the most, though?
January 15th, 2006 06:03 PM
kath yesterday and today..the first cover. got banned and they slapped that really sappy cover over it.
January 15th, 2006 06:42 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Can't forget this masterpiece from the land of Krautrock:

January 15th, 2006 09:27 PM
kath holy crap!!
January 15th, 2006 09:36 PM
MrPleasant
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)