ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Rex Features
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Open E Tuning Return to archive
01-07-04 08:19 AM
headshrinker I've just found out that half of beggars banquet is played in open E tuning. i know E and A and i can play no expectaions and you got the silver but does n e 1 know n e more chords like the ones in salt of the earth

please help
01-07-04 09:13 AM
scratched I thought Salt Of The Earth was played in standard tuning.
01-07-04 10:03 AM
Taptrick Hey, I'm not sure which open tuneing Richie havens uses but I believe he has a great explanatory section with instructions at his website for open E. He mostly bars with his thumb. Sorry, got to go to work. No time to check.
01-09-04 08:46 AM
Stonefarker Actually it's open-D tuning that Keith got into. Street Fighting Man, Jumping Jack Flash & Child of the Moon are all Open-D tuning.

Stonefarker
01-09-04 03:28 PM
Child of the Moon Keith definitely got into both. He plays in open D on Child of the Moon, but things like Prodigal Son are most definitely in open E. I'm a real big fan of the tunings myself (E is essentially the same as D; if you tune down to D, put a capo on the second fret for open E), as I'm a songwriter and love to try out new things on the fretboard. There are some sites out there that can teach you - my best advice is to A) look at www.dylanchords.com and go to the Blood on the Tracks page; that's where I learned a lot of tricks; and B) learn some open G licks. If you know open G, open E and D are a breeze, as are a hell of a lot of Stones tunes!

Hope that helps!
01-11-04 08:58 PM
scratched Yesterday for the first time I tried Stray Cat Blues in open D . Wow! It really makes a difference. Much more 'ringing' - especially with a Telecaster. Gonna try JJF and YCAGWYW now.
01-12-04 10:42 AM
Flashpoint Hey scratched if you don't mind could you e-mail me the way you are playing the songs or you'd try in open D?....i'm getting in it these days but i got nothing...JJF in fact sound 100 times better in open G

[email protected]
01-12-04 11:08 AM
scratched That should be no problem Flashpoint. Haven't managed to figure out how JJF was done yet but will let email you with the others soon.
01-13-04 12:30 PM
Flashpoint Thanks a lot scratched!

BEST VIEWED HIGH