ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Rex Features
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering Bridges to Babylon. Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-06-04 06:58 AM
JumpingKentFlash Last night I had B2B on the cd-player, and I must say that the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It has that classic Stones thing to it that the more you listen to it, the more you like it. It better than IORR and BAB and some of the early cd's I think. Bridges is really a good rock-record.
01-06-04 07:37 AM
Jumacfly Agree with you...low down, too tight, gunface are 3 great rockers..nice ballads too, i ve re discovered "how can i stop" last week, spent 5 great minutes..
i also love the sound, strong and sharpy, my only regret: ronnie was out for the record and insiders did the job...
hope Ronnie will be back for the next record..
cheers
Ju
01-06-04 08:51 AM
full moon Does get better with time.. I really like it aLOT.....
01-06-04 09:25 AM
SHINE A LIGHT thanks folks for the incentive......i confess, i haven't dusted that one off in a long time. but, will do soon.
01-06-04 11:22 AM
Phog Yup, Bridges is a pretty good effort. Liked it from the start.
01-06-04 11:28 AM
Nasty Habits Love B2B. Easily the best post-comeback Stones album. Much better than SW or VL.
01-06-04 11:35 AM
Child of the Moon It's an excellent album, I've always thought so. The rockers are the best things about it - Flip the Switch has that "riff o' death," Low Down grooves nicely, Gunface is just plain excellent, and I don't even need to explain why Out of Control and Saint Of Me are great. Keith also has some stand-out cuts - the more time pasees, the more I enjoy How Can I Stop. I personally enjoy the more modern sheen the album has to it - the Stones seem to adapt to it nicely, IMO.
01-06-04 01:02 PM
quackenbush I like the album. But upon the first listen, it was obvious that it was not a team effort. In the latest addition of Uncut magazine, Charlie Watts says that Mick and Keith should write songs together, like they did in the old days.

I agree.

01-06-04 01:59 PM
glencar They wrote songs together on SW & it is not quite as good as B2B. Flip The Switch is great but there is something lacking in the mix. The ballads are fine but the stand-out cuts are indeed OOC & SOM. Too bad they were hardly performed on this past tour.
01-06-04 06:19 PM
corgi37 I couldnt stop playing this cd when it came out. I thought the choice of outside producers breathed some fresh life into the project. But, some hassles for me are:
1. Keith sings the dirges again. Why, oh why, cant he rock?
2. What is Anbody seen my baby? Disco? Rap? Pop? It was a shocking choice for 1st single. I honestly think it alienated alot of older fans from buying the cd, similar to older U2 fans shunning their tribute to the Village People.
3. I think Flick the Switch is mainly Stones by numbers.
4. I hope they decide to give the reggae a rest for awhile.
But, SOM, OOC are wicked. Clever, interesting and hot songs. Already over me is a classic ballad. It reminds me of Out of tears a little bit. Also, has a touch of Neil Young in the solos - love it. Most of the rockers are great. Gunface is A-1 shit-hot stuff. But the stand out for me is Might as well get juiced. It's blues for the Millenium. This should have been the 1st single. Not too far away from their roots (basically) and kind of cool enough production wise for the funky drum n bass crowd. I can imagine a cool film clip too.
Anyway, thats my view, I'm Corgi37, over and out.
01-06-04 10:00 PM
Soul Survivor Funny how this topic was brought up as I just played this disc the other day for the first time in ages. Not bad at all. I probably give it 3.5 stars out of 5. Flip The Switch, Lowdown, Gunface, Already Over Me, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Might As Well Get Juiced, Too Tight. Over half the album I like. Honestly, I dont care for the Keith stuff. This album is great, great sound. It really grows on you
01-06-04 10:23 PM
full moon Keef shines on B2B.......My opinion, but his 3 tracks are high quality stuff........
01-06-04 10:35 PM
JaggaRichards OOC is one of the Stones best tunes of the past 20 years!
Especially live.
Pity they hardly play it.

And i love 'Theif In The Night'.
I don't care what anyone thinks.
01-06-04 11:53 PM
Taptrick I love that jazz ending to How Can I stop.
01-07-04 02:54 AM
Jumacfly Agree Taptrick...i ve put the song on my stereo after watching the doc on FF , when Keith , Lisa, blondie and bernard play it on the corner of the stage, on piano....and i really love it, backing vocals are A++ IMVHO...
01-07-04 04:43 AM
exile I dont know
I admit I have not heard it for a while
But i enjoy "Voodoo Lounge" more than "Bridges"

when the 2 are compared

i dig it out tonight dust it off an give it a listen

01-07-04 11:43 AM
quackenbush Yeah, Thief in the Night sucks me right in, but not the rendition on Bridges to Babylon--the live one on No Security.
01-07-04 01:47 PM
Flashpoint So glad what i read here....Bridges is a great album, better than Voodoo in my opinion but not better that SW, where Keith still rocked...
Only i keep thinking..if OOC got its reputation and respect because it was done awesome live what would happen if they play Too Tight. I'm saying this because i didn't rediscovered it like some of you guys, i played B2B regulary since i got it and liked from the beggining but
after a while Flip The Switch looses something..but i remember when i first played it....oh MY GOD!..that riff hooked me up...and ASMB..what a disaster...and i hate MAWGJ but the reason it's because i don't like that type of music (which i don't know what is it)
01-07-04 03:16 PM
glencar You are a great fan! I've loved B2B since it came out & never quite got why SOME people liked VL so much more. Everyone's got an opinion, I guess.
01-07-04 08:14 PM
Gazza Its my 2nd favourite Stones album since "Exile" (after "Some Girls" of course).

Unlike most new Stones albums, I fell for it from day one. Theres not a single track on it that I would skip that often. The first notes of Flip The Switch just hooked me. I almost got thrown off a bus on the way to work one time for playing it over and over at top volume. On a walkman! One of Mick's best vocals in years too - theres some great "snarling" on that song. Just listen.

Disagree about ASMB. It might plod a bit for the first couple of minutes (and when performed live it was almost universally awful) but the second part of the track is breathtaking. Waddy's solo at the end is IMO the most beautiful piece of music on any Stones record in the last 30 years - and dont get me started on the video. New York and Angelina Jolie (who I'd never seen or heard of before this) in the same video clip. Perfect.

Out Of Control is still for me probably the highlight. It speaks volumes for the Stones that the BTB tour proved the myth that the new songs dont get appreciated by the fans. Out Of Control and Saint of Me were show stoppers every night. Think they dont write songs that can work up a crowd anymore? Ballix!

Some day in the future when its not as fashionable as it is now to sneer at anything the Stones have done since about 1980, this album will be properly appreciated. Great production, great mix, great playing, great songs. Better than anything we could have reasonably hoped for from a band in their mid 50's. Time for another one!
01-07-04 09:04 PM
Lazy Bones "Yeah, don't try to reel me in
With all those charm school looks
I've seen it all a thousand times
I sung that song, I wrote that fucking book"

This verse and Mick's vocals in Too Tight is simply great. My album highlight. Cryin' shame they've yet to play it live! My favourite album compared with VL and SW. VL is close, but the rockers on B2B hold it high.
01-07-04 11:23 PM
Egbert The sound on B2B is what stood out for me on first listen - great drums, great guitar tones. Not a stinker in sight, although I'm not crazy about ASMB (that rap in the middle ruins it for me), that goofy Keef reggae, MAWGJ and the one after it, and the jazz send up on HCIS (a bit overblown - otherwise a great tune to end the CD with).

OOC may be the best thing they've done since, I don't know, She's So Cold? SOM sounds like the Stones doing Screamadelica. Thief In The Night is cool.

01-08-04 01:51 AM
luridchief I also like ASMB!
01-08-04 09:33 AM
Doxa If Bridges will turn out to be the last Stones studio album ever, it won't be a bad way to stop an incredible career. I honestly think that the Stones are not able to do any better album than that anymore (except if they re-use that succesfull Tattoo You-formula and search their hidden gems from their vaults).

But there are three particular songs in BTB that seem to raise some confusion among the Stones fans - or at least dividing the opinions from great to shit. Here is my two centt of those three pieces.

First, "Anybody Seen My Baby" - a pop song, made for radio waves and MTV. Me like. Most of it is stolen (and not just from j.d.lang), but it has a nice hook in its verses with easy to catch melody chorus, plus Jagger sings it very personally, sounding nuthing but himself. It's great that the boys still are able to accomplish something commercially potential material (aimed not just to their big fanbase). In this way the song works mighty better than similar efforts of Jagger's solo career. Belongs to the dance/pop genre of "Miss You", "Emotional Rescue" and "Harlem Shuffle", and why not even "Let's Spend The Night Together"? Much better than its follower, "Don't Stop".

Secondly, "Flip The Switch" - I am surprised how many people saluds this song here - I still remember reading at the time that it the fastest Stones number since "Rip This Joint" etc. but when I first heard it I thought that was horrible.. the song really sounds like a bunch of old men to sound really rocking hard without any real inspiration - very much effort but no direction. Jagger and the background "vocals" are the most embarrassing. Keith's guitar is good, but the whole messy production makes this the poorest Stones album opener since.. "Dance" or "Dancing With Mr. D"? That's one thing I will never "forgive" to BTB: the opener number is very crucial to a great Stones album.. just think "Sympathy", "Gimme Shlter", "Brown Sugar", "Rocks Off", "Miss You", "Start Me Up".. The Stones are always great to give an dramatic effect to thrill you at the first moment, but "Switch" fails it. Anyway, the song seemed to work quite fine live. But still no, this song hasn't grow on me. Maybe the worst Stones rocker ever.

Thirdly, "Mighty As Well Get Juiced" - one could say that this an interesting and brave attempt to try something new and exciting - that's good - but sometimes the results turn out be truely ridiculous, like in this case. The feeling I have of this performance is like listening to late-sixties "Electric Muddy" album - that was an effort to make Muddy Waters to sound "modern" and "hip". With this basically simple blues number The Stones do not succeed much better. Jagger sounds like a cow.

The rest of the album is more average and no risk Stones material with a nice quality; I'll let those tunes rest in peace.

Doxa

01-08-04 11:57 AM
egon i like it though i do find it a bit overproduced.
it's lacks a certain rawness
01-08-04 11:58 AM
Flashpoint
quote:
Doxa wrote:
I honestly think that the Stones are not able to do any better album than that anymore (except if they re-use that succesfull Tattoo You-formula and search their hidden gems from their vaults).

Coudn't agree more...i'm expecting that for the next and final album they rescue some outtakes from the past, and with them, it would be okay if the album has 15 songs or so

quote:
Doxa wrote:
Secondly, "Flip The Switch"
the song really sounds like a bunch of old men to sound really rocking hard without any real inspiration -

What if Flip the Switch would have been released in the 70's and Rip this Joint was in B2B?
I don't understand why people judges the songs by the age of the Stones...same thing happened on Steel Wheels with Mixed Emotions..''they tried to sound like in Exile'' i read sometime ago, but that doesn't say anything about the inspiration of the lyrics (which are very true on Mixed..about Mick & Keith working out their problems) and the creative of the music, the riffs, the imagination of Keith for doing something different with open G, etc

01-08-04 01:44 PM
macawber without a doubt one of the worst pieces of shit ever recorded.when the rolling stones have to give songwriting credit to k.d. lang because their music sounds too much alike,thats a problem.
i cant believe anyone listens to these promotional items anyway but to each his own.just don't compare them to real stones records because you'll sound silly.
or to put it another way-i'll give you steel wheels,voodoo lounge and bridges.find one song better than "one hit to the body" a tune from the lowly dirty work.
the rolling vegas stones cannot make a good record and seem to have wisely given up trying-stop scraping up crums and pretending you have a three layer cake.
01-12-04 10:53 PM
glencar Then why are you still a fan?
01-12-04 10:56 PM
TracyGene But Macawber,tell us what you really think of Bridges?LOL.
This album took a while to grow on me,but I really like now more than ever.Better than Voodoo?No,but close.IMO.
01-13-04 02:00 PM
funkhouse I think too tight should be played live more often.
They could have done a BTB theme on a Licks show: SOM, OOC, Already over me and TT.
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH