ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1998 RocknRose
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Scooby-Doo Creator Dies Return to archive
10th January 2007 12:20 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Zoinks! Scooby-Doo Creator Dies
by Josh Grossberg
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 02:01:00 PM PST
E! News

Iwao Takamoto, the animation designer who got his start in the cartoon biz working for Walt Disney before finding fame at Hanna-Barbera Studios creating the lovable Scooby-Doo and other memorable characters, died Monday of heart failure. He was 81.

Gary Miereanu, a spokesman for Warner Bros. Animation, told E! Online that Takamoto was hospitalized for respiratory problems at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles before he suffered a heart attack.

Takamoto worked right up until the day he died, serving as vice president of special projects for Warner Bros. Animation. He recently storyboarded the 2005 Tom and Jerry animated short The Karateguard, and had a hand in hatching numerous characters for the current Cartoon Network and Kids' WB! animated series Krypto the Superdog.

He also oversaw the direct-to-video series of his most popular character, Scooby-Doo, the cowardly canine who—with a little help from some Scooby snacks—helped Fred, Daphne, Velma and best bud Shaggy solve mysteries in Scooby-Doo! Pirates Ahoy! and Chill Out, Scooby-Doo, among other recent titles.

"Iwao Takamoto was not only a tremendously talented designer and artist, he was a beautiful human being," said Sander Schwartz, president of Warner Bros. Animation. "Iwao was always ready with a wide smile, a firm handshake and a warm welcome. Iwao's designs will be his legacy for generations to come. Those of us who had the privilege of working closely with him will miss his mentoring presence, his good counsel and his unparalleled talent and spirit."

Takamoto's death came three weeks to the day of the passing of another animation giant—his old boss, Hanna-Barbera cofounder Joseph Barbera, who died at age 95.

Takamoto was born in Los Angeles on April 29, 1925, to Japanese immigrant parents. Like many Japanese-Americans, he and his family were sent to an internment camp after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

His imprisonment at the Manzanar Relocation Center in the California desert proved to be fortuitous for at least one reason. It was there the young Takamoto was introduced to drawing by fellow internees and received some informal training in illustration. After the war ended, in mid-1945, Yakamoto applied for a position with Walt Disney, whose animation house had by then scored major success with Mickey Mouse shorts and such feature-length 'toons as 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, 1940's Pinnochio and Fantasia, and 1941's Dumbo.

Takamoto was hired as an apprentice to Uncle Walt's legendary "nine old men," the stable of highly accomplished draftsman that included Ollie Johnston, Frank Thomas, Milt Kahl, Eric Lawson and Ward Kimball, who are generally credited with creating some of Disney's most revered classics.

Takamoto assisted on a variety of shorts and full-length Disney features, including 1950's Cinderella, 1955's Lady and the Tramp, 1959's Sleeping Beauty and 1960's One Hundred and One Dalmatians, learning the basics of character design and other hand-drawn animation techniques.

Following Dalmatians, Takamoto left Disney for Hanna-Barbera, a competing cartoon dream factory that targeted the burgeoning television market. Over the next four decades he enjoyed greater responsibility in a variety of positions: from layout artist and production designer to animation director and creative designer on such 'toons as Josie and the Pussy Cats, Harlem Globe Trotters, The Secret Squirrel Show and Johnny Quest.

The artist designed characters for several of Hanna-Barbera's most beloved TV shows, including Astro on The Jetsons and the Great Gazoo on The Flintstones. He also served as a producer on such animated '70s programs as Yogi's Gang, Superfriends, The Addams Family, Hong Kong Phooey, Jabberjaw, Fred Flintstone and Friends and The Great Ape Show.

But Takamoto's biggest success by far was Scooby-Doo. The animator once said he was inspired to draw the talking dog with the voracious appetite after meeting with a Great Dane breeder.

"There was a lady at [Hanna-Barbera] that bred Great Danes," Takamoto once said. "She showed me some pictures and talked about the important points of a Great Dane, like a straight back, straight legs, small chin and such. I decided to go the opposite and gave him a hump back, bowed legs, big chin and such. Even his color is wrong."

He then took the name Scooby-Doo from Frank Sinatra's crooning "dooby-dooby-doo" at the end of "Strangers in the Night," and a cartoon icon was born.

After Warner Bros. Animation bought the Hanna-Barbera library from Ted Turner in the mid-'90s, Takamoto continued working for the company, helping to keep his favorite characters in the public imagination.

Shaggy and Scooby Get a Clue currently ranks as the top-rated Saturday morning broadcast on the CW. Warner Bros. also produced two live-action films based on the character, Scooby-Doo and Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed.

Takamoto directed one big-screen feature, 1973's animated Charlotte's Web, and acted as the supervising animation director on 1990's Jetsons: The Movie.

He is survived by his wife, Barbara, and two children, son Michael and stepdaughter Leslie. Funeral arrangements are pending.

10th January 2007 02:17 AM
mojoman zoinks
10th January 2007 05:09 AM
lotsajizz Scoobie sucked
10th January 2007 10:06 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
10th January 2007 03:41 PM
Stones Security That lotsajizz guy is quite smart.

Scooby was one of those post 1960s, hippie, homo, druggie type shows that poisoned the minds of young impressionable kids and turned them into the sickos of the 1970s.

That in turn led to disco, bestiality, and the liberal way.

The only thing that should be shown on TV on Saturdays is that Joel Osteen character. By god, he is exactly the type of role model that this place needs.

Thank lotsajizz for his keen observations...

[Edited by Stones Security]
10th January 2007 07:02 PM
fireontheplatter i used to own a plot hound dog and he looked just like scooby doo

may the creator rest .......
[Edited by fireontheplatter]
10th January 2007 07:12 PM
mojoman
quote:
Stones Security wrote:
That lotsajizz guy is quite smart.

Scooby was one of those post 1960s, hippie, homo, druggie type shows that poisoned the minds of young impressionable kids and turned them into the sickos of the 1970s.

That in turn led to disco, bestiality, and the liberal way.

The only thing that should be shown on TV on Saturdays is that Joel Osteen character. By god, he is exactly the type of role model that this place needs.

Thank lotsajizz for his keen observations...

teletubbies?

[Edited by Stones Security]

10th January 2007 07:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels To be perfectly honest, I never got into Scooby Doo that much. Plus by the time Scoobie became popular I had already gradutated from cartoons to marijuana. Never thought Scooby was all that funny. The Great Gazoo though is a different matter.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
10th January 2007 07:27 PM
lotsajizz Gazoo rocked

so did John Olerud

see how many get THAT one?!?

10th January 2007 07:30 PM
pdog if I was a cartoon I would've nailed Wilma, Betty and both the Scoobie chicks!
10th January 2007 07:34 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:
if I was a cartoon I would've nailed Wilma, Betty and both the Scoobie chicks!

if the van is a rockin.....
10th January 2007 07:37 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:

that would make you a slut....right?
and for a nightcap...may i suggest you nail my ass...

everybody say owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
10th January 2007 07:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
pdog wrote:

If only Gary Larson had been an animator.
10th January 2007 08:00 PM
GotToRollMe no more scooby snax...
11th January 2007 04:53 AM
corgi37 A true legend and pioneer. RIP.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)