ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1998 RocknRose
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The King Of Rock `n` Roll Return to archive
8th January 2007 03:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The King Of Rock `n` Roll
ZeeNews / India Edition
January 8,2007
Shruti Jha

A long drive of about 40 miles west to St. Louis will take you to Wright City, Missouri where the much debated and the incredibly illustrious `Elvis is Alive Museum` is situated. Those who run the museum swear by the premise that Elvis staged his own death in order to live out the rest of his life in solitude away from the maddening crowd. Believe it or not, they claim that Elvis Presley is still alive!

Much can be said about this prodigal artist who has his name painted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Country Hall of Fame and the Gospel Hall of Fame. His popularity charts have always been on an upward curve with his pictures and documents being the most in demand in the US National Archives. Elvis’ photograph shaking hands with President Richard Nixon at the White House is a more popular artifact than even the Constitution of United States.

Elvis was a dreamer; he read comics and thought he was the hero in it. When he watched movies he thought he was the hero so his dreams came true a hundred times in his lifetime. He learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end. Without a song the road would not bend. So he kept singing. The first time he appeared on stage it scared him to death. His body was trembling he didn`t know what was the yelling all about. He didn`t know what to do.

The legendary Elvis Presley grew up listening to gospel music in the church. He created revolution in rock and roll with his commanding voice and charismatic appearance. After moving to Memphis he heard jazz and blues, in 1954 he began his singing career with Sun Records in Memphis. The owner and producer of Sun Records Sam Phillips was stunned by the emotion in Presley`s voice and teamed him up with his guitarist and bassist Scotty Moore and Bill Black. The team together did some amazing work, "That`s all right" and "Blue Moon of Kentucky" blues and country music did wonders in the area of rock and roll.

Achievements

After 5 groundbreaking singles, Presley contract was sold to RCA records and his career took off with speed. “I forgot to remember to forget" his last single for Sun Records and first for RCA hit the No. 1 position on the country charts. "Heart break hotel" a haunting ballad became his first across the board hit, holding down the top spot for eight weeks. By 1956 Presley was an international sensation. With his brilliant voice and unique style blurred and challenged the social and racial barriers of the time, with him began the new era of American music and popular culture.

He was seen in 33 successful films. He made history with his brilliant appearance and specials on television, and great acclaim through his record breaking live concerts, performances on tour and in Las Vegas. Globally he made history by selling over one billion records, more than any artist. His American sales have earned him gold, platinum or multi platinum awards for 150 different albums and singles, far more than any other artist. Among his many awards and accolades were 14 Grammy nominations (3 wins) from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. He received the Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award when he was 36. He was named one of the ten outstanding men of the nation for 1970 by the United States Jaycees. He honorably served his country in the US Army.

Controversies

The only thing Black people can do for me is shine my shoes and buy my music. There was a controversy about Elvis being a racist. Misattributed in "He wasn`t my King" by Helen Kolawole in The Guardian (15 August 2002). Apparently citing an unsolved anecdote that has been debunked in "Elvis and bring a Racist" and Counterpunch (29 August 2002). Which cites an article in jet magazine (1 August 1957). Jet wrote- “Some said Presley had said it in Boston, which Elvis never visited. Some said it was on Esward Murrow`s on which Elvis never appeared”. Elvis declared, " I never said anything like that and people who know me know I wouldn`t have said it".

On His Death

In her book Elvis and Kathy, friend and vocalist Kathy Westmoreland wrote, “Everyone knew that Elvis was sick" Every public appearance exhausted him. She always countered misconceptions regarding his health leading to his death. According to Peter Guralnick`s book Careless Love drug was heavily found in the death of a middle-aged man with no known history of heart disease. The possibility of anaphylactic shock was not ruled out which was brought on by the codeine pills he had gotten from his dentist. The laboratory reports stated a strong belief that primary cause of death was polypharmacy. In his book Elvis: The last 24 hours Albert Goldman even went as far as to suggest that Presley committed suicide by overdosing on a stash of drugs that he stock piled. Presley`s stepbrother David is alleged to have removed the needles and drug packets near his body before paramedics arrived.

Quotes From Others

Elvis Presley`s death deprives our country of a part of itself. He was unique, irreplaceable. More than twenty years ago, he burst upon the scene with an impact that was unprecedented and will probably never be equaled. His music and his personality, fusing the styles of White Country and Black Rhythm and Blues, permanently changed the face of American popular culture. His following was immense. And he was a symbol to people the world over of the vitality, rebelliousness and good humour of this country.
Jimmy Carter, 1977

You know, Bush is always comparing me to Elvis in sort of unflattering ways. I don`t think Bush would have liked Elvis very much, and that`s just another thing that`s wrong with him.
Bill Clinton during the 1992 presidential campaign

Ask anyone. If it hadn`t been for Elvis, I don`t know where popular music would be. He was the one that started it all off, and he was definitely the start of it for me.
Elton John

Before Elvis, there was nothing.
John Lennon

That Elvis, man, he is all there is. There ain`t no more. Everything starts and ends with him. He wrote the book.
Bruce Springsteen

There has been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.
Bruce Springsteen

It will be safe to say that the name Elvis has been permanently embedded in the minds and hearts of all those who have ever even remotely followed his music. His persona is mesmerizing and his charisma is infectious. Even today, he has people tapping their feet whenever any of his songs play in the background. Elvis is one of God`s greatest gift to the music industry for which millions are and will remain eternally grateful for the years to come.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
8th January 2007 03:38 PM
pdog Eddie Cochran is The King!!!
8th January 2007 03:53 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 01/08/2007: Happy birthday, Elvis
Category: General Posted by: Diane

On Jan. 8, 1935, Elvis Aaron Presley was born in Tupelo, Mississippi.

He would have been 72 years old today.

A birthday celebration was held all weekend at Graceland Mansion in Memphis, Tennessee, starting with a Dance Party Friday and ends tonight at the Graceland Mansion with a special “Bears on Tour” Scavenger Hunt.

Memphis is about 610 miles south (and a little southwest) of Racine; about a 10-hour drive.

Tours of Graceland include the Mansion, Elvis Automobile Museum, “Elvis Custom Jets,” “Sincerely Elvis” and “Elvis After Dark.” Tour prices for adults range from $25 for a mansion-only tour to $68 for a VIP tour.

Have you ever visited Graceland? What did you like/dislike? Would you go there again?
8th January 2007 05:00 PM
lotsajizz Elvis rules.

and Graceland and Memphis in general are great tourist destinations for the Cool

8th January 2007 05:04 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:
Eddie Cochran is The King!!!

Corgi is THE KING !!!!
8th January 2007 06:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:
Eddie Cochran is The King!!!

Now youre just being silly....
8th January 2007 07:25 PM
Steel Wheels I thought this thread would be about Chuck Berry.

Oh well.

8th January 2007 07:28 PM
mojoman The king is gone but he's not forgotten
8th January 2007 08:11 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
I thought this thread would be about Chuck Berry.

Oh well.

me too.
Oh well well.
8th January 2007 08:19 PM
MikeyC613 Listen to Elvis' cover of Chuck's The Promised Land. Elvis would warm up his band by jamming to Chuck Berry tunes. Chuck Berry is rock and roll.
8th January 2007 10:36 PM
Taptrick
Wright City is just before Wentzville which is Chuck Berry's town. I sold radio for KWRE in Warrenton just down the road too. Sounds like it's oot in the boonies but it's actually fairly close to Lake St. Louis, which has some pretty nice homes.

8th January 2007 11:24 PM
Zack Did Elvis ever write a song, or even arrange one? Could he actually play that guitar, or did it just hang around his neck.

(I guess the same could be said about Sinatra too.)
9th January 2007 12:35 AM
glencar "You know, Bush is always comparing me to Elvis in sort of unflattering ways. I don`t think Bush would have liked Elvis very much, and that`s just another thing that`s wrong with him."
Bill Clinton during the 1992 presidential campaign.

Elvis never humiliated himself & his country until he keeled over on the toilet. Once again, Clintoon sux.

9th January 2007 08:44 AM
justinkurian
quote:
Zack wrote:
Could he actually play that guitar, or did it just hang around his neck.

You should see the sit down shows from the '68 Comeback Special for more...

But, in the latter years, it became a prop.
9th January 2007 10:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zack wrote:
Did Elvis ever write a song, or even arrange one? Could he actually play that guitar, or did it just hang around his neck.

(I guess the same could be said about Sinatra too.)

Pointless argument if you're measuring what was the norm for singers in the 50's and before to what it became a decade or two later

Caruso didnt write any of the operas that made him widely regarded as the finest tenor of his time. Jolson wasnt a composer, neither was Sinatra. You'll have a hard job convincing anyone they werent a significant influence in their chosen style of entertainment.

As great as many other rock n roll artists of that era were, that style of music wouldnt have become the cultural phenomenon that it was and still is without Elvis. For that reason alone, he is the most important and significant rock n roll artist of all time.

'Before Elvis, there was nothing' - John Lennon.

A slight exaggeration as there was undoubtedly great music out there - but his point is that you and I weren't hearing it.

And he was a competent guitarist if nothing special - but so what? Mick Jagger is hardly Jimi Hendrix. He doesnt need to be.
[Edited by Gazza]
9th January 2007 10:59 AM
Ten Thousand Motels >As great as many other rock n roll artists of that era were, that style of music wouldnt have become the cultural phenomenon that it was and still is without Elvis. For that reason alone, he is the most important and significant rock n roll artist of all time.<

That should go without saying....but I'm glad you said it.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)