ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1998 RocknRose
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Allman Brothers @ The Beacon Return to archive
6th January 2007 01:39 PM
glencar Tickets are now available at tm.com for this year's shows. I'm in for the first Friday show...
6th January 2007 03:59 PM
lotsajizz I lost all interest when they kicked Dickie out, but this Trucks kid is making me rethink things....
6th January 2007 05:34 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
but this Trucks kid is making me rethink things....

Yeah , Martha mentioned that the guy is a pretty damn good musician .

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Grasshopper
6th January 2007 06:40 PM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I lost all interest when they kicked Dickie out, but this Trucks kid is making me rethink things....

me too. i went once since then it wasnt bad. hell i've paid money to see gregg solo. still not having mr betts there after 30 years in the band is downright shitty, he was more than just a guitarist his tunes kept them going after duane kickin him out for substance abuse is like giving speeding tickets at the indy 500.
6th January 2007 06:47 PM
chevysales
quote:
glencar wrote:
Tickets are now available at tm.com for this year's shows. I'm in for the first Friday show...

am leaving in an hour or so for wolf den, mohegan sun free show tonight... greg and friends.

always catch them when they hit ct usually at oakdale/chevy theater
6th January 2007 06:54 PM
chevysales
quote:
Joey wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Grasshopper

he is...

i felt same way as jizz but dickie was not playing to well last time i saw them together... there recent lineup was great last year with trucks and warren haynes.

and gregg is the white ray charles in the way he sings.
6th January 2007 08:27 PM
fireontheplatter r they doing there usual...13-15 shows?
i have never seen the bros, but i would like to. i am an hour and a half away from the beacon. they have some good songs i hear. is this true>

everybody say ow
6th January 2007 08:41 PM
mojoman
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
r they doing there usual...13-15 shows?
i have never seen the bros, but i would like to. i am an hour and a half away from the beacon. they have some good songs i hear. is this true>

everybody say ow

if you never bin den go. seeing it at the beacon makes it even better
6th January 2007 11:08 PM
sweetcharmedlife I saws Greg solo a couple monthes ago. Excellent show. I wish the Allmans would do a countrywide theatre tour.
7th January 2007 07:35 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
mojoman wrote:

kickin him out for substance abuse is like giving speeding tickets at the indy 500.

awww man, the bullshit piles up so fast you need wings to stay above it.....
7th January 2007 08:56 AM
chevysales
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

awww man, the bullshit piles up so fast you need wings to stay above it.....

well then you needed to see dicky during the last tour with them...he was worse then keith ever was!

seriously i can only comment on the 3 shows i saw of them last tour they were together but he was horrible plain and simple.

and i do believe alchohol was the root of the problem more than anything.

now that said i am an ABB fan since Watkins Glen early 70's... and was amoung those who agreed when dicky and others said they would never ever play with gregg again after his cher thing and the ratting out of their roadie (and testifing against him in court for providing drugs)... after the death at a party of average white band drummer...

chuck leavell was also gret with them and his band sea level played some funky jazz-fusion-rock at the time i saw them at gusman hall in miami.

as for abb they usually play quite a few small venues on their tour... luckily jim koplick is one of my customers so we get front and center for shows at chevy theater/oakdale here in wallingford, ct and last time around for ABB when those piss ants for texas los lonely boys canceled there tour with ABB (blowing them off for tv crap award show) ABB played a 4 plus hour show here in ct.

i am serious as i had my doubts too but the current lineup with warren hayes and little trucks is better yet different then with dicky.

in there heyday and beyond dicky was great as his style of play i absolutely love and he kept that group relevant.

that said one who is familiar with the band knows it's a drug free environment add that with all the trouble dicky was getting into beating up his wife and the onstage antics were the breaking point.

ABB really does nothing different then when they played in the early days... touring and playing many shows.

check out their instant live stuff really good.

i am inclined to pass on beacon as i will catch them 10 minutes from my house... front and center this year.

trucks adds an element in guitar playing that really makes the band and warren hayes.. well to qoute what someone once sang about (mid 70's?) elvin bishop "he ain't good lookin' but he shure can play".
[Edited by chevysales]
7th January 2007 08:59 AM
chevysales btw... gregg was great last nite... and the price was rite FREE!

7th January 2007 09:13 AM
fireontheplatter cheveysales kept writing abb and all the while i was thinking, a bigger bang.... then after awhile i was like DOH....almond brothers band.......helloooooooo

i don't plan to see them, but they are a wonderful band, with or without whats his face.

everybody say ow
7th January 2007 10:26 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
chevysales wrote:

well then you needed to see dicky during the last tour with them...he was worse then keith ever was!

No, no

you missed it

I was not commenting on the substance of what was posted...

I was completing the allusion to Captain Willard monologue from 'Apocalypse Now'--you know "handing out speeding tickets....."
[Edited by lotsajizz]
7th January 2007 11:59 AM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

No, no

you missed it

I was completing the allusion to Captain Willard monologue from 'Apocalypse Now'--you know "handing out speeding tickets....."
[Edited by lotsajizz]

damn i love that movie. chevy nice going on tickets. jim koplik was one of the promoters of watkins glen. the year before he had brought the dead to hartford and i think dickey jammmed with them. wish i had a copy!!! after the show he asked them if they would be interested in doing a show together. the final jam from that show is killer.
7th January 2007 12:58 PM
MRD8 I think its time for people to hang up that same old, "If Dicky isn't in the band then they are not the Allman Brothers Band anymore!" shit. We saw Dicky a couple of years ago down here in Florida(where he lives) and he was so messed up he couldn't play or sing properly, it was embarrasing to see him even try to perform...should the Allman's stop touring because alcohol is more important to Dicky than anything in the world? Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are two of THE best guitarists out there today! The Allmans at the Beacon every March is something I look forward to...they play all kinds of songs from their whole career, new songs, cover songs...old friends(like Chuck Leavell) sit in on different nights...its like going to one big family reunion!
7th January 2007 03:47 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
I think its time for people to hang up that same old, "If Dicky isn't in the band then they are not the Allman Brothers Band anymore!" shit. We saw Dicky a couple of years ago down here in Florida(where he lives) and he was so messed up he couldn't play or sing properly, it was embarrasing to see him even try to perform...should the Allman's stop touring because alcohol is more important to Dicky than anything in the world? Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are two of THE best guitarists out there today! The Allmans at the Beacon every March is something I look forward to...they play all kinds of songs from their whole career, new songs, cover songs...old friends(like Chuck Leavell) sit in on different nights...its like going to one big family reunion!

I'd like to catch Allmans & Co. in my neck of the woods. Any ideas?

7th January 2007 04:36 PM
mojoman
quote:
chevysales wrote:
btw... gregg was great last nite... and the price was rite FREE!

dickey playin(maybe)w/great southern up at the wolfs den in may. thats a nice place. dr john did a nice show up there a couple of years back. free show? as long as you dont lose three card monty john.....
7th January 2007 05:56 PM
Olompali Family reunion? LMFAO!
This is a revolving door of musicians without a care about who is in or out. Just like most arena rock groups. ABB is no different than Skynyrd, Styx, Journey, etc..a logo to sell tix and merch.
After Duane and Berry died, Betts kept the rest of the group (all of them were drunks, druggies and abusive creeps) viable and thriving for 25 years.

Butch Trucks formed a management company, Flying Frog, and signed all the band members but Betts, who refused. That's the real reason he was fired. Purely a corporate business maneuver.
Btw, It was Betts who discovered Haynes back in the late 80's and had Derek join in 99.

Dig deeper before you trash Betts and fawn over some idiotic myth.

There will be an Allman Brothers Band touring in 2099 and fans then will be proclaiming that they are the "best version ever."

I'll catch Mule, DTB even Gregg solo but it ain't the Allman Brothers Band without Dickey Betts.

Get Real.
[Edited by Olompali]
[Edited by Olompali]
7th January 2007 07:12 PM
lotsajizz damn straight...I saw Dickie last year, a far better show than my last ABB show! Performance was clearly NOT the reason Gregg (showbiz asshole #1 of all time) kicked him out....

7th January 2007 09:04 PM
chevysales
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
cheveysales kept writing abb and all the while i was thinking, a bigger bang.... then after awhile i was like DOH....almond brothers band.......helloooooooo

i don't plan to see them, but they are a wonderful band, with or without whats his face.

everybody say ow

almonds are nuts... allman is what your looking for.
7th January 2007 09:05 PM
chevysales
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

No, no

you missed it

[Edited by lotsajizz]

ahh got it...
7th January 2007 09:07 PM
chevysales
quote:
mojoman wrote:

damn i love that movie. chevy nice going on tickets. jim koplik was one of the promoters of watkins glen. the year before he had brought the dead to hartford and i think dickey jammmed with them. wish i had a copy!!! after the show he asked them if they would be interested in doing a show together. the final jam from that show is killer.

watkins glen put jim koplik and shelley finkel on the map as far as concert promoters go.

they made no money and jim to this day says he never saw more than 20 minutes of entire show...
[Edited by chevysales]
7th January 2007 09:13 PM
chevysales
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

check here...http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/

i am no fan of jam bands but something about ABB works for me...
i fell in love with idlewild south album and the rest is history.
i did loose them after brothers and sisters mid 70's till late 80's then a song here and a song there got me back to listening to them and early 90's i started catching shows when they swung thru.
7th January 2007 09:23 PM
chevysales
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
damn straight...I saw Dickie last year, a far better show than my last ABB show! Performance was clearly NOT the reason Gregg (showbiz asshole #1 of all time) kicked him out....

well performance sure as hell seemed to me to be a logical reason... no one wants to pay to see people who can't stand up on stage.

there was what 4-5 years between his being kicked out and you seeing him... i'm sure he must of got sober somewhat.

he was playing dive bars in ct past few years and couldn't sell those out... he was in bad shape then... so last year he wasn't good for him.
[Edited by chevysales]
7th January 2007 09:47 PM
mojoman
quote:
chevysales wrote:

watkins glen put jim koplik and shelley finkel on the map as far as concert promoters go.

they made no money and jim to this day says he never saw more than 20 minutes of entire show...
[Edited by chevysales]

only 20 minutes? thats a heartbreaker it was a long show. maybe one day rhino will put out the whole thing i think only a part of the bands set was officially released.
8th January 2007 12:36 PM
Martha
quote:
Joey wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Grasshopper

Derek's guitar makes the sound of pure, unadulterated JOY! His sound could heal the world.

Indeed grasshopper!
8th January 2007 12:50 PM
Saint Sway Derek Trucks is from another planet.

I'll probably hit a few of these shows - just to make sure I get the most out of my Jaimie Martinez ID
9th January 2007 01:01 AM
glencar This will be my 1st time a-seeing ABB. I'll be at one show as I'll be away for some of their concerteering.
9th January 2007 09:27 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
glencar wrote:
This will be my 1st time a-seeing ABB. I'll be at one show as I'll be away for some of their concerteering.

You will enjoy! The Brothers in concert are awesome. I miss Dickie's voice as much as his guitar playing, but young Trucks is something. In fact, Derek was playing right along side Dickie when Warren left for awhile. Saw them two nights at Red Rock several years ago with that line-up. Saw Dickie w/Great Southern a couple of months ago in a small clup here in St. Pete and he was on fire. Liz Reed may be the greatest song of all time! That's right, of all time.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)