ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1998 RocknRose
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what new releases are you looking forward to in '07? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
6th January 2007 03:40 PM
Angiegirl Oh, and Billy's back with his Smashing Pumpkins this year, album and tour!! Whooohoo!! Fingers crossed it will be as brilliant as their 90s reign...
6th January 2007 03:54 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
pdog wrote:
Sex Pistols are due up soon if these schedules hold true!

A delayed 10th year anniversary of their last comeback ?

[Edited by Erik_Snow]
6th January 2007 09:50 PM
Trey Krimsin I'm most looking forward to the Stooges' new record.
7th January 2007 06:57 AM
F505 Steve Earle's label debut on New West Records in the first half of 2007.
Jus de Box from Arno. Release jan 22 2007. The first single Mourir A Plusieurs is very catching. Nice clip too.

http://www.hintjens.be/index2.php?index=11&nieuws=out&taal=engels&id=146

And rumoured: Patti Smith, album with covers...

[Edited by F505]
7th January 2007 09:19 AM
fireontheplatter the new lucinda....for me

everybody say owwwww
7th January 2007 03:19 PM
CraigP -The new Smashing Pumpkins album/tour http://smashingpumpkins.com/

-new Radiohead album/tour

- Oh, and if the Stones, Buckcherry or Pearl Jam ever happen to release any, those too.
7th January 2007 07:12 PM
Gazza the new, overdub-free, professionally edited, desired by many, and totally surprise non-warhorse zone that will be the live album from the ABB tour.
[Edited by Gazza]
7th January 2007 07:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
F505 wrote:
Steve Earle's label debut on New West Records in the first half of 2007.

This I didnt know about. Is it an album with the Dukes, bluegrass record or what?
7th January 2007 08:54 PM
Soldatti Chinese Democracy...
8th January 2007 04:15 AM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:
This I didnt know about. Is it an album with the Dukes, bluegrass record or what?

Don't know. I have my information from:

http://SteveEarle.net/

Earlier on a bluegrass record was mentioned...
8th January 2007 04:56 AM
Jumacfly F505, Saint Sway and I are looking for the new Matt Clifford's anthology in 2007!!
8th January 2007 05:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
F505 wrote:

Don't know. I have my information from:

http://SteveEarle.net/

Earlier on a bluegrass record was mentioned...

thanks..hadnt checked that site in a while. I do also remember a bluegrass record being talked about around a year ago.

Looks like I can expect some shows here later this year, then. Excellent.

[Edited by Gazza]
8th January 2007 10:38 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
F505 wrote:

And rumoured: Patti Smith, album with covers...

not a rumor... she's already recorded a bunch of it. She's brought some cool guests in to play on it too!

Flea from the Peppers, Tom Verlaine from Television, Rich Robinson from the Crowes... Rich already recorded a track and she's asked if he could come back and play on GIMME SHELTER with her....

[Edited by Saint Sway]
9th January 2007 12:49 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Bloc Party - new album

[Edited by Angiegirl]

That isn't something to look forward too!

I'm not particularly looking forward to anything at the moment. If something comes along and I like it, then great. I'm not getting my hopes up about anything though. I already know I'll be buying a new Stones release this year and The Manic Street Preachers have a new CD out this year which should be interesting.
9th January 2007 12:50 PM
Saint Sway in my initial post I mentioned an arist that I think is an amazing talent - Mike Farris. Great voice. Talented songwriter. Amazing frontman. Good friend.

here's his story... his album will be out in a few months. His previous solo record is called "Goodnight Sun" and its one of my favorites, so check it out. You can find it on iTunes

here's the latest...

MIKE FARRIS + SALVATION IN LIGHTS

This isn't a story about a worship band, or about a youth pastor who happens to write songs. It's a story about a guy working out his salvation with a guitar.

Mike Farris isn't the kind of person you're likely to find giving the altar call at a youth rally. He's recovering from chemical and alcohol dependency, clean two years, trying to get through each new day still intact.

And these are the songs that have come out of being saved by grace.

Salvation in Lights (INO Records) is a traveling tent-revival of an album, working its way up the banks of the Mississippi River from New Orleans through Memphis and onto points north. Recorded at the same Nashville house-studio where White Stripes/Raconteurs leader Jack White recorded Loretta Lynn's award-winning Van Lear Rose album, Farris' sophomore solo effort uses the musical language of spirituals, timeless stories of struggle, some of which are centuries-old slave spirituals, and soul to tell a uniquely redemptive story.

"When I'm playing music, it's like prayer to me," Farris says. "I'm closer to God than I ever am, outside of my prayer. That's the best way I can portray what I'm feeling in my heart."

Farris recorded Salvation in Lights with a band that included Johnny Cash's longtime bassist Dave Roe, singer Ann McCrary — daughter of the Fairfield Four's founder, the Rev. Sam McCrary and a host of top shelf Nashville musicians. Farris plants his own roots deep, down to traditional songs like "Oh Mary Don't You Weep" and "Can't No Grave Hold My Body Down." "A Change Is Gonna Come" and "I'll Take You There" come from a soul movement that identified with struggle and the ongoing search for transcendence and peace to songs that are turn-of-the-century New Orleans Gospel.

"Something about that music, it moves me like nothing else," Farris says. "Hearing somebody like Skip James or Mavis Staples sing, it's painful to me, it's spiritual, it's deep and it's enlightening. It's like somebody shedding a little bit of light on the soul, on what makes people really tick."

Original songs like "Selah! Selah!" and "The Lonely Road" evoke late-period Stax soul and Willie Mitchell's horn-drenched Hi Records funk. Some bear the influence of Tom Waits and Bob Dylan, and others find their groove somewhere between the "oom-pah" of a Crescent City funeral band and the "boom-chick" of a Johnny Cash railroad.

"When I was growing up, we had five records in my family – and three of them were by Johnny Cash," Farris says. "I didn't realize how much that stuff was engrained in my being."

Perhaps nothing, though, reflects Farris' own journey so perfectly as "Precious Lord, Take My Hand." Written by Thomas A. Dorsey, a writer and performer of bawdy blues tunes who later became the "Father of Gospel Music," the song's plea to "guide my feet to the light," is one that Farris has made his own. He transforms the gospel favorite into a sanctified blues shuffle punctuated with bright, celebratory bursts of horns and slide guitar. "That was the last song we recorded for the album," he says. "Every time we'd do a session, I'd try it. I just felt like it had to get on there."

That song's lyrics parallel Farris' own life story.

Nearly dead from an accidental overdose of pills and alcohol before he turned 21, Farris made a desperate cry out to God, and God responded.

"I moved in with my father," Farris recalls. "He had a guitar. I taught myself how to play the guitar, and I started writing songs, songs that were healing me.

"But as soon as God gave me the gift, I went about destroying it."

That began a 15-year journey to get back to God.

Farris continued to write, and he formed a band, the Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies. The band had some success, signing to Atlantic Records and having a Top 10 rock-radio hit, touring with such known acts as Blues Traveler, Joan Osborne, Sheryl Crow, Dave Matthews Band, ZZ Top and the Allman Brothers Band, but, deep inside himself, Farris knew that the bars and clubs the band often played were the last places somebody with his struggles needed to be.

"I talked myself into it," he says. "I told myself, 'I can go in there and sing songs and help people, just like Jesus did.' But I wasn't strong enough to do that. It ate me alive."

The addictions returned with a vengeance, throughout the Cheetah Wheelies' existence and beyond, even as Farris fronted Double Trouble, the rhythm section of the late guitar legend Stevie Ray Vaughn.

From his earliest interviews, however, Farris had expressed his deep admiration of those deep Southern inspired gospel tunes. "They were just kind of ringing in my head the whole time," he says.

In the winter of 2004, Farris found himself at the end of his rope, standing graveside, at a relative's funeral. " I realized how tired I'd become from running all those years, and I just wanted to go back home. Just like the prodigal son", Farris says, "I'd had enough of it all and decided I was not going to be that man ever again."

With the help of his family and church, Farris became sober, and soon after he began writing in order to heal again. He quickly realized the new songs he was writing dovetailed nicely with those old familiar songs that had been with him all along.

"I finally said, 'I think it's time for me to take those traditional, turn-of-the-century songs and add these things I'm writing that sound like that, and just go with it; this is what I want to do,'" he says. "It became real clear to me."

Now, original songs like "Devil Don't Sleep" and "Lonely Road" serve as much as to remind Farris of where he's been as they do to encourage his listeners. By doing so, they forge a bond between audience and performer, even as they connect him to a rich tradition of spirituality that runs through American folk, gospel, soul and rock.

"If not for the grace of God I would surely be dead or wishing I were dead." Farris says. "My life is a testament that God has an unique and special place for everyone. God will use people no matter how tattered and torn. Just surrender to His love and trust in His grace."
9th January 2007 12:58 PM
Sir Stonesalot I just found out that The Woggles are puttin' another one out soon.

That makes me happy.
9th January 2007 01:47 PM
Dan
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
F505, Saint Sway and I are looking for the new Matt Clifford's anthology in 2007!!

Return Of The Living Dead has one of the all time greatest music scores ever. Would like to check out some of his other work.
9th January 2007 05:06 PM
LastChild aerosmith
velvet revolver
black crowes
silvertide
9th January 2007 05:07 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Dan wrote:

Return Of The Living Dead has one of the all time greatest music scores ever. Would like to check out some of his other work.

where can I find that?
9th January 2007 05:39 PM
Dan
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

where can I find that?

Both the film and the soundtrack are easily available at least in the U.S. It's one of the greatest movies ever! Linnea Quigley is in it!
9th January 2007 05:44 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Dan wrote:

Both the film and the soundtrack are easily available at least in the U.S. It's one of the greatest movies ever! Linnea Quigley is in it!

I live in the asshole of the world (guess where LOL),but will check via P2P..
thanks again
9th January 2007 05:48 PM
Saint Sway lets not forget that Matt Clifford's use of the harmonium is what helps distinguish Steel Wheels as the creme of the entire Rolling Stones catalog.

whatever the fuck a 'harmonium' is
9th January 2007 06:07 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
lets not forget that Matt Clifford's use of the harmonium is what helps distinguish Steel Wheels as the creme of the entire Rolling Stones catalog.

whatever the fuck a 'harmonium' is

Matt is definitely a brilliant artist..
http://www.rdg.ac.uk/StUnion/Anime/fanstuff/matt.htm

9th January 2007 07:31 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

I live in the asshole of the world (guess where LOL),thanks

Where HTM lives?? LOL
10th January 2007 10:54 AM
PartyDoll MEG Lucinda Williams new album "West" is out on February 13th!!!

Also a blurb on her very out of date site that tickets go on sale this saturday for a Radio City Music Hall show on March 23.
10th January 2007 12:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Lucinda Williams new album "West" is out on February 13th!!!

Some previews here :
http://main.losthighwayrecords.com/product.aspx?ob=disc&src=art&pid=1715
[Edited by Gazza]
10th January 2007 01:45 PM
Jaxx i want to pick up that joan osborne cd that was just released. i heard rumors of another ratdog studio project.
10th January 2007 04:02 PM
F505
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

not a rumor... she's already recorded a bunch of it. She's brought some cool guests in to play on it too!

Flea from the Peppers, Tom Verlaine from Television, Rich Robinson from the Crowes... Rich already recorded a track and she's asked if he could come back and play on GIMME SHELTER with her....

[Edited by Saint Sway]

You are right although Gimme Shelter or the Rolling Stones are not mentioned:

Smith Stoked For New Album, Tour, Rock Hall Induction

January 08, 2007, 4:25 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The stars have aligned for Patti Smith, who celebrated her 60th birthday last weekend with a show at New York's Bowery Ballroom and was awoken this morning (Jan. 8) with the news that she had been chosen for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March.

Smith tells Billboard.com she is equally gratified "it should happen when Michael [Stipe] and R.E.M. are inducted, because he's been such a good friend and supporter. I'm ready to play and sing with everybody. I want to make it the most communal and strong-spirited night possible."

The Rock Hall induction will add heft to a busy 2007 for Smith, who is about to finish her first covers album. The as-yet-untitled set is due in late March or early April and features songs popularized by "Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Nirvana, Neil Young and some people you'd be very surprised at."

The project features guest appearances by Television guitarist Tom Verlaine, who has toured of late with the Patti Smith Group, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea and the Black Crowes' Richard Robinson. Smith's children, Jackson and Jesse, also appear, as does playwright/actor Sam Shepard.

"It has been a real adventure doing these songs," Smith says. "I've always wanted to do a cover record, but I didn't think I had the range. But now, I feel really on the top of my game and ready to tackle a lot of different songs I thought had strong and relevant lyrics."

And, in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the "summer of love," Smith and her band are learning songs connected with that time in advance of their 2007 tour. "It will be a very celebratory year," she enthuses. "We had already planned [the album and tour], so to have this honor right in the center of that is so exciting and encouraging."

Smith says is up for further deluxe reissues from her back catalog, a campaign that began in 2005 with her beloved 1975 album "Horses." "If the [record] company is interested, we're happy to do it," she says. "The other night on the 29th, my son drove in from Detroit and we did the whole 'Dream of Life' record. He played all of [Smith's late husband] Fred's guitar parts really beautifully. We can play any of the work. I could do any of the albums."

10th January 2007 04:20 PM
F505 Patti Smith plays Gimme Shelter
live at the Bowery Ballroom 2007:

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/werksman/archive/2007/01/10/171637.aspx

10th January 2007 04:24 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
F505 wrote:
You are right although Gimme Shelter or the Rolling Stones are not mentioned:

he recorded a different song with her. She asked him to come back and do Gimme Shelter with her band but he was out of town. Maybe she'll ask him back or get someone else to play on it.

I'm looking forward to this record
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)