ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1998 RocknRose
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: memo to TB Stone... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
5th January 2007 04:19 PM
ComeAsYouAre
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Even though every last note of "Blood On The Tracks" has been etched in my brain for years, the album does nothing for me. Nor does "Desire." Instead, I would add "Highway 61 Revisited" to your list, and the wackiness and hard edge of "Planet Waves."

You're nuts. "Blood on the Tracks" is his best... imo, of course. TBS, I'm sure you've heard it before... buy this one before most (I can't believe you don't have it!).
5th January 2007 04:21 PM
ComeAsYouAre
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

VU (for godssakes):
Velvet Underground and Nico (the banana album)

Do not, do NOT waste your money on this piece of crap.
5th January 2007 04:27 PM
Starbuck
quote:

holy shit! did he really say that??
5th January 2007 04:53 PM
BONOISLOVE Bob who????

Sounds vaguely familiar...
5th January 2007 04:57 PM
ComeAsYouAre
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

holy shit! did he really say that??

Yes, "she" actually said that. Could you imagine? Someone not liking the same album as you. I guess we all can't all taste.
5th January 2007 04:59 PM
nanatod
quote:
ComeAsYouAre wrote:
You're nuts. "Blood on the Tracks" is his best... imo, of course.

I owned "Blood on the Tracks" for many years. But everytime I played it, every line in "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" made me wince. Same goes for "Idiot Wind." Maybe Bob's using too much metaphor? The short songs like "Meet Me in the Morning" and "Buckets of Rain" I have a little more tolerance for.

I realize that my distaste for "Blood on the Tracks" is bucking the tide and different from most other Dylan fanatics. Give me the "rock" Dylan who wears his 1950's influences on his sleeve, rather than the "contemplative" Dylan, who's marriage is falling apart around the time of "Blood on the Tracks."

Same reasoning for why I prefer Bruce's "Greetings" or "The Wild, the Innocent..." to "Tunnel of Love."
5th January 2007 05:26 PM
ComeAsYouAre
quote:
nanatod wrote:

I owned "Blood on the Tracks" for many years. But everytime I played it, every line in "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" made me wince. Same goes for "Idiot Wind." Maybe Bob's using too much metaphor? The short songs like "Meet Me in the Morning" and "Buckets of Rain" I have a little more tolerance for.

I realize that my distaste for "Blood on the Tracks" is bucking the tide and different from most other Dylan fanatics. Give me the "rock" Dylan who wears his 1950's influences on his sleeve, rather than the "contemplative" Dylan, who's marriage is falling apart around the time of "Blood on the Tracks."

Same reasoning for why I prefer Bruce's "Greetings" or "The Wild, the Innocent..." to "Tunnel of Love."

Man... I just like the album. That's all. But have to admit... haven't played it in years.
5th January 2007 06:15 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
glencar wrote:
What's on American Recordngs?

Glenny, I'll get that one to you. A MUST-have.
5th January 2007 07:27 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

I did not know about his taste in women; It's all starting to make sense.

You must check out his former chick Nina...it will ALL make sense to you. In the meantime, get some IGGY tunnage.

FG!
5th January 2007 07:37 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

You must check out his former chick Nina...it will ALL make sense to you. In the meantime, get some IGGY tunnage.

FG!

Holy crap!! I knew I should have been a RockStar.

Thanks FG, I am going to pick some goodies up this weekend.

TBS
6th January 2007 12:47 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
OK - here is the package i am sending. YGTRM, i might suggest you fill in the corners with iggy and VU and a few other dylan nibblets, but this is all i had time for late last night:

Dylan:
Freewheelin (+ starbuck's extra bonus track, emmit till)
Live 66 (disc 1 only - no time to burn disc 2)
Highway 61 Revisitied
Blood on the Tracks
Desire

Cash:
American Recordings I
American Recordings III: Solitary Man

VU:
The Velvet Underground

planet waves??? whose idea was that? we don't want to scare this boy off yet. great album, but you have to learn the letters before you can learn how to read.

i had no idea about iggy. i'm so sorry! i would have included "the stooges" and "raw power" had i known!

i confess - i don't like white light/white heat that much. sister ray is a great song, but about 13 minutes too long. it gives me a headache! and i would have include VU & Nico but i lost the damn CD! still have the case, however. anyone seen it?

let's not forget, TB is a virtual "american recordings" virgin as well. all of those albums are just as essential.

Nice choices, Bucky! TBS, I'll throw in a few more Dylan, some selected VU, the first "American Recordings," and lots of Iggy for ya. You need to hear this stuff!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
6th January 2007 01:26 AM
Zack [quote]TampabayStone wrote:

Yes, Iggy's girl is stunning. Her picture was in a Rolling Stone feature on the Iggster last year and I was knocked out. She's half Irish, half Nigerian. I bet if she turned around we would find her to be quite, er, what's that word again?
6th January 2007 11:26 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Zack wrote:
[quote]TampabayStone wrote:

Yes, Iggy's girl is stunning. Her picture was in a Rolling Stone feature on the Iggster last year and I was knocked out. She's half Irish, half Nigerian. I bet if she turned around we would find her to be quite, er, what's that word again?

Hey, Iggy's no slouch either. Just look at him! God, I love that man. (And he's only 5'7" - just right!)
7th January 2007 03:40 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Thanks FG, I am going to pick some goodies up this weekend.

TBS

TBS, I'm impressed with your...Exuberance...ROTFL!

Now, get you some Iggy tunes!

Yours truly,

FG!
8th January 2007 07:00 PM
TampabayStone STARBUCK!

I just got the emergency package. Thanks man; it's very much appretiated!!

Slapped in the 1st disc and it's:

So far so good.
8th January 2007 07:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot If TBS says that he doesn't have any MC5, NY Dolls, or Ramones...I think we're allowed to hang him, and then leak cell phone footage of it onto the internets.

8th January 2007 09:40 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
If TBS says that he doesn't have any MC5, NY Dolls, or Ramones...I think we're allowed to hang him, and then leak cell phone footage of it onto the internets.

I am going to put together a punk rock history/tutorial for Maxy.
I've had alot of great ideas, and I'm going to do my best to provide him with my own liner notes and info... i want to keep it simple, and also keep it very easy to swallow for someone hearing it... I also want to keep it under a few hours so he's not overwhelmed...
This is my only goal for 2007, outside of not dying and having sex with my wife as often as possible for people with two kids.
9th January 2007 12:45 AM
Starbuck all this "TBS losing his dylan virginity" has got me thinking. i sat down tonight and jotted down about 40-50 of what i consider the best kick ass albums of all time. i shall publish said list in the next few days for the perusal of all. the goal here is not to show my rock n roll education/IQ (which is lower than most here), but to expand my own library. if TBS has never listened to dylan, surely there is some artist out there that i have never been exposed to. there has to be some mother humpin' pearl of an album that i will weep and wet my pants upon hearing that i have just never come across. perhaps the enlightened masses may edjumacte me...perhaps others may do the same....

i will say in advance, however, that the ramones will not be on my list. neither will the sex pistols. the omission will be deliberate. i just don't get punk!

could be fun. at least it will be better than "foreigner vs the chipmunks: battle of the bands #34"
9th January 2007 12:48 AM
glencar I hope at least 15 on that list comprise Stones albums. Anything less? Travesty!
9th January 2007 12:50 AM
Altamont check out some of the Built To Spill albums. or the Halo Benders record. Or maybe not!
9th January 2007 09:35 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
If TBS says that he doesn't have any MC5, NY Dolls, or Ramones...I think we're allowed to hang him, and then leak cell phone footage of it onto the internets.

I take the 5th for fear of my life.
9th January 2007 09:41 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

1st listen, sounds good. Love the 1st song right off the bat--Hurricane. Intense!! I think this was the only one I knew prior-from the movie. Nothing else has really sunk in yet, but will spin it again today.
9th January 2007 10:56 AM
nanatod
quote:
pdog wrote:
I am going to put together a punk rock history/tutorial for Maxy.

The Clash, London Calling (especially for Train in Vain, Lost in the Supermarket, Brand New Cadillac, Rudie Can't Fail, and I'm Not Down).
The Clash, This is Radio Clash (12" single).
The Clash's lst album, for White Man in Hammersmith Palace, Clash City Rockers, Police and Thieves, and the Sonny Curtis cover.
Any Ramones CD that includes the KKK Took My Baby Away.
The Cramps, Bad Music for Bad People (for Garbage Man and Drug Train).
Sex Pistols, any CD with Anarchy in the UK on it.
"California Uber Alles" from the Dead Kennedys.
The Replacements are putting out a greatest hits CD in the next couple of months, so depending on the track listing, that could be a worthwhile starting point.
Any Minutemen CD that has "Maybe Partying Will Help" on it.
Black Flag and Husker Du were great punk bands, but I can't necessarily recommend a particular recorded work. Just go see Henry Rollins in concert the next time he comes through your town. Same for Grant Hart, but not Bob Mould.
Some people like the Damned, but they are "too goth" for my own personal taste.
Any Buzzcocks CD that has "Orgasm Addict" on it.

9th January 2007 11:24 AM
GotToRollMe Here are a few for your punk compilation, pdog:

• The Clash - The Clash, London Calling
  • Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Live At Max's Kansas City, L.A.M.F.
  • The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols
  • The New York Dolls - The New York Dolls, In Too Much Too Soon
  • The Dead Boys - Young, Loud And Snotty
  • Iggy Pop & The Stooges - The Stooges, Fun House, Lust For Life
  • The Patti Smith Group - Horses, Radio Ethiopia
  • Jim Carroll - Catholic Boy
  • The Ramones - The Ramones, The Ramones Leave Home, Rocket To Russia, Road To Ruin
  • Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Blank Generation
  • Blondie - Blondie
  • Television - Marquee Moon
  • X - Los Angeles, Wild Gift
  • Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True, This Year's Model

I realize that some of this stuff preceded the actual punk explosion of 1976-77, and there's a lot of music on these records that most wouldn't even consider to be "punk," - not to mention the fact that I left out a lot of worthy stuff - but it's what immediately sprang to mind, so I guess this is the stuff that influenced me the most.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
10th January 2007 01:48 AM
Egbert Starbuck - you recommended The Velvet Underground's eponymous 3rd album - which I agree may be their best overall. Have you checked out the "VU" album that was released in the early '80s? Great stuff - recorded around the same time as TVU - some of the tunes show up on 1969 Live - if you like TVU you'll like VU. "Another View" has some cool stuff as well, to a lesser degree. I burned all of VU and most of AV onto one CD-R and listen to that more than any of the official Underground releases.

Anyway, for anyone just getting into the V.U. there are a couple of recently released greatest hits packages available: the 2-disc "Gold" and the single-disc "The Very Best Of..."
10th January 2007 01:58 AM
Egbert
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Here are a few for your punk compilation, pdog:

• The Clash - The Clash, London Calling
  • Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Live At Max's Kansas City, L.A.M.F.
  • The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols
  • The New York Dolls - The New York Dolls, In Too Much Too Soon
  • The Dead Boys - Young, Loud And Snotty
  • Iggy Pop & The Stooges - The Stooges, Fun House, Lust For Life
  • The Patti Smith Group - Horses, Radio Ethiopia
  • Jim Carroll - Catholic Boy
  • The Ramones - The Ramones, The Ramones Leave Home, Rocket To Russia, Road To Ruin
  • Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Blank Generation
  • Blondie - Blondie
  • Television - Marquee Moon
  • X - Los Angeles, Wild Gift
  • Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True, This Year's Model

Great list GTRM! I'd add MC5's Back In The USA and for the adventurous listener Pere Ubu's Modern Dance or Terminal Tower.
10th January 2007 02:04 AM
mojoman
quote:
ComeAsYouAre wrote:

i fancy white light white heat more too
10th January 2007 02:12 AM
mojoman
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Great list GTRM! I'd add MC5's Back In The USA and for the adventurous listener Pere Ubu's Modern Dance or Terminal Tower.

fresh fruit for rotting vegatables
generic flipper
we're the meatmen and you suck
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)