ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1998 RocknRose
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: memo to TB Stone... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
5th January 2007 09:58 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

I don't have any Iggy, but I like watching him live and do enjoy what I've heard. Just saw him on VH1 classic perform with Chrissy Hyde. He reminds me of Mick, where he cracks me up at the same time he's got me rockin'. I did not know about his taste in women; It's all starting to make sense.

Don't have any Iggy? DON'T HAVE ANY IGGY? You make GTRM wanna throw you to the wolves! And no VU? Good lord, man, what have you been doing for the past 40 years? This must be rectified.

Okay...for STARTERS:

Iggy:
Fun House
Lust For Life
Soldier
Blah Blah Blah
Brick By Brick
(and there's plenty more where that came from)

VU (for godssakes):
Velvet Underground and Nico (the banana album)
The Velvet Underground
Loaded
White Light/White Heat
Velvet Underground 1969

I feel the need for medication coming on. I'm getting a terrible migraine!

5th January 2007 10:07 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Excellent. This needs to be nipped in the proverbial bud.

Yes, we love it!!

RIP
5th January 2007 10:11 AM
glencar
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Does TB Stone have any Iggy?

BTw, Ig's taste in the ladies is similar to that of TB Stone.

Iggy likes blacks too?
5th January 2007 10:14 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Don't have any Iggy? DON'T HAVE ANY IGGY? You make GTRM wanna throw you to the wolves! And no VU? Good lord, man, what have you been doing for the past 40 years? This must be rectified.

Okay...for STARTERS:

Iggy:
Fun House
Lust For Life
Soldier
Blah Blah Blah
Brick By Brick
(and there's plenty more where that came from)

VU (for godssakes):
Velvet Underground and Nico (the banana album)
The Velvet Underground
Loaded
White Light/White Heat
Velvet Underground 1969

I feel the need for medication coming on. I'm getting a terrible migraine!

Crap, it would have been easier to just have lied. I resolve to study over the weekend. I will hit the used CD store with list in hand. 40 years, damn I'm old.
5th January 2007 10:15 AM
nanatod
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
And why not -"Planet Waves" - may be a bit much for the poor fellow to take in at this early stage, but this is serious. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

Although it was not very well initially received, "Planet Waves" has a more modern day and harder rock sound on it than a lot of his other work, and I might recommend it to someone who had never heard any Dylan before.
5th January 2007 10:16 AM
glencar What music do you listen to? Is there a radio in your home? Do you like the Kinks? The Bee Gees? Dionne Warwick?
5th January 2007 10:18 AM
nanatod
quote:
glencar wrote:
What music do you listen to? Is there a radio in your home? Do you like the Kinks? The Bee Gees? Dionne Warwick?

You mean Tampabay Stone, glencar, not me, right?
5th January 2007 10:23 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Although it was not very well initially received, "Planet Waves" has a more modern day and harder rock sound on it than a lot of his other work, and I might recommend it to someone who had never heard any Dylan before.

I was looking at it more in relation to Dylan's ouevre, but when you put it that way...good point!
5th January 2007 10:23 AM
glencar Yes, you posted as I was posting. It was clearly meant for TBS as you've indicated some knowledge of a few of these artists that TBS has never heard.
5th January 2007 10:25 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Crap, it would have been easier to just have lied. I resolve to study over the weekend. I will hit the used CD store with list in hand. 40 years, damn I'm old.

You've got your work cut out for you, TBS, that's for sure. Hey, don't sweat it - some of us are even older than you! I ain't namin' names, but, well, you get the picture...

5th January 2007 11:00 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
glencar wrote:
What music do you listen to? Is there a radio in your home? Do you like the Kinks? The Bee Gees? Dionne Warwick?

Yes
Kinks--Older stuff
Bee Gees--Some times, but would not throw a disc in
Dionne Warwick--Walk on By--Classic

Recently, I have been really getting into the Band's 1st two albums.

Obviously, I own most of the Stones studio work and hundreds of boots. I also love old school reggae; Bob and Jimmy of course. I used to not know the words to any songs, I basically just listened to the music and the lyrics just blended in. I do try to listen to the words now, but really have to pay attention. My GF can listen to a song once and have the lyrics memorized. I guess that's one reson I grew up liking the the Stones, because I could not understand what Mick was saying anyway.

I like Jam bands alot, but usually don't know the names of the songs. Also, love the Motown. I will watch most anything live that is on TV

Grateful Dead
Allman Brothers
Prince
Jimmy Cliff
Bob Marley
John Coltrane
Traffic
Clapton--all bands and all solo stuff
Isley Brothers--love these guys (Summer Breeze cover, I can listen to all day)
Hendrix--obviously he was a big Bobby D fan
Van
Beatles
Curtis Mayfield
Who

To name a few of my favs

5th January 2007 11:38 AM
Starbuck OK - here is the package i am sending. YGTRM, i might suggest you fill in the corners with iggy and VU and a few other dylan nibblets, but this is all i had time for late last night:

Dylan:
Freewheelin (+ starbuck's extra bonus track, emmit till)
Live 66 (disc 1 only - no time to burn disc 2)
Highway 61 Revisitied
Blood on the Tracks
Desire

Cash:
American Recordings I
American Recordings III: Solitary Man

VU:
The Velvet Underground

planet waves??? whose idea was that? we don't want to scare this boy off yet. great album, but you have to learn the letters before you can learn how to read.

i had no idea about iggy. i'm so sorry! i would have included "the stooges" and "raw power" had i known!

i confess - i don't like white light/white heat that much. sister ray is a great song, but about 13 minutes too long. it gives me a headache! and i would have include VU & Nico but i lost the damn CD! still have the case, however. anyone seen it?

let's not forget, TB is a virtual "american recordings" virgin as well. all of those albums are just as essential.
5th January 2007 11:45 AM
glencar What's on American Recordngs?
5th January 2007 12:36 PM
Starbuck
quote:
What's on American Recordngs?

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
5th January 2007 12:36 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Hey, TBS: Next time just answer these type of posts with "Iggy rocks!" or "Ahhh, Dylan...genius, man." Nobody would have known!

5th January 2007 12:39 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
glencar wrote:
What's on American Recordngs?

Oh Dear God.....
Bucky, you have your work cut out for you. Holler when you need some extra help.

Glenny..Bucky has to take care of his Boba Fett Buddy 1st though!!!
5th January 2007 12:54 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Oh Dear God.....
Bucky, you have your work cut out for you. Holler when you need some extra help.

Nice posting
[Edited by Fiji Joe]
5th January 2007 12:59 PM
glencar
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Oh Dear God.....

Relax! I have the one wherein he does Hurt & Bridge Over troubled Water. I don't have all of them but I'm nowhere near as bad as TBS. Nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5th January 2007 01:02 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
planet waves??? whose idea was that? we don't want to scare this boy off yet. great album, but you have to learn the letters before you can learn how to read.

Planet Waves is an absolute gem of an album!!!

such great songs... Never Say Goodbye! Tough Mama! Hazel! Something There Is About You!

I say dive right in!!
5th January 2007 01:16 PM
Starbuck
quote:
I don't have all of them but I'm nowhere near as bad as TBS. Nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, well, that's not saying much.

glenny if you'd like i can replenish your cash stash. i still have your addy. i only sold it to a few credit collectors, NPR, the DNC mailing list and a few Hell's Angels from Topeka.

quote:
Planet Waves is an absolute gem of an album!!!

such great songs... Never Say Goodbye! Tough Mama! Hazel! Something There Is About You!

I say dive right in!!

i didn't say it wasn't a gem. nope. nowhere. however, would you pick planet waves over the ones i included in the emergency shipment? i personally would send nashville skyline or self portrait before planet waves. but that's just me.
5th January 2007 01:21 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Oh Dear God.....

Nice Meg! Boba Fett Buddy, that's me. Oh yeah, BSG Rules you bastards.

5th January 2007 01:23 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
glencar wrote:
Relax! I have the one wherein he does Hurt & Bridge Over troubled Water. I don't have all of them but I'm nowhere near as bad as TBS. Nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have the 2nd one Blue. I've been everywhere, man!
5th January 2007 01:27 PM
Saint Sway yeah. You should send Planet Waves in the emergency pack. What the hey

its an easy record to get into
5th January 2007 01:51 PM
Starbuck ok sway...hotshot....what would your 5 dylan albums be?

5th January 2007 01:56 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
ok sway...hotshot....what would your 5 dylan albums be?

for a newbie, I'd go with these... they're easy for any music fan to digest

Highway 61
Oh Mercy
Blood On The Tracks
Planet Waves
and then either Blonde On Blonde or New Morning
5th January 2007 02:18 PM
Starbuck interesting....

how can you pick anything from the 80s before the early folk albums? and planet waves and new morning, i think, are just too obscure. i can't imagine the uninitiated digesting "if dogs run free" before they take in "girl from the north country" or "hard rain".

i will confess: i've never been a huge fan of blonde on blonde either.
5th January 2007 02:35 PM
Saint Sway Studbuck,

these aren't my favorite picks. Just stuff I'd try an initiate someone with. I just think the early folk stuff is not gonna fly with somone who isnt into folk music. I think the 80s stuff is over criticized by the fans but someone with fresh ears would dig it. I think the general rocks off type rock fan will definately ease into the quality stuff from that era more easily than the early folk albums - even something as great as Freewheelin

it certainly makes for a fun discussion. Picking out the stones album for a newbie is an easy layup we all can make blindfolded. But choosing for Dylans vast and eclectic catalog has so many different options to go with..
5th January 2007 02:58 PM
Starbuck good points.

How about this:

Live 66
Highway 61
Self Portrait
Blood on the Tracks
Love & Theft

it's got it all! live...acousitic...classic albums...newer stuff...and of course, blood on the tracks, the third greatest album of all time behind exile and the white album.

everybody's happy!
5th January 2007 03:03 PM
nanatod 1. Bringing it all Back Home (for "hard rockers" Subterranean Homesick Blues and Maggies Farm)
2. Planet Waves (more "hard rockers" like You Angel You and the 2nd version of Forever Young)
3. Highway 61 Revisited (for the 1st four songs, at least)
4. Freewheelin' (angry Bob -- Masters of War, Oxford Town, I Shall Be Free, with reflective Bob -- Corrina, Corrina)
5. Another Side of Bob Dylan (just for Black Crow Blues)

As far as Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, I would recommend that a person start with "Loaded" because it has the 2 (biggest?) singles and a train song.
5th January 2007 03:13 PM
Saint Sway Love & Theft is a smart pick. I cant imagine anyone here wouldnt like that one. It rocks, it rolls, it swings.

Nanatod brings up another great point... I'm starting to think that Planet Waves is a must.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)